Bit perfect, what does that mean?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
Grottyash:No, as idc said " A 'bit perfect rip of a CD to PC' and transmission of a 'bit perfect', unmixed or tampered with signal from PC to DAC." It's the second part to which I'm referring. Surely the transmission is via a cable.

Yes but this thread has been focussing on how to stop the PC from changing the signal BEFORE it squirts it down the cable. If the cable itself is doing something (which as I said is an argument you're welcome to go and have elsewhere as this thread is specifically NOT a cable argument!) then there's nothing you can do about that on the PC itself.

Either way, surely you want to eliminate all possible sources of data corruption but your viewpoint seems to imply that you might as well not worry about how good the ripping is or whether the PC is changing the signal, which seems a little odd. By that token if it's all about the cable then who cares what CD player or pre-amp you buy as surely they can't overcome the limitations of your cables?

That doesn't seem entirely logical to me...

Wrong, the. I'm just querying the bit perfect transmission part. Surely you understand that if we have bit-perfect transmission, i.e the file that arrives at the dac is exactly the same as the one that leaves, then that cables per se can't possibly have any influence on the sound whether it be optical, usb or coax. Yet I hear differences. Am I not allowed to say that?

Not querying the first part at all, and I am certainly not saying what you mistakenly inferred I did.

idc

Grottyash:......I'm just querying the bit perfect transmission part. Surely you understand that if we have bit-perfect transmission, i.e the file that arrives at the dac is exactly the same as the one that leaves, then that cables per se can't possibly have any influence on the sound whether it be optical, usb or coax. Yet I hear differences. Am I not allowed to say that?

Not querying the first part at all, and I am certainly not saying what you mistakenly inferred I did.

But that is not what this thread is about. We have enough cable debates as it is, please go and play there
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

idc:Grottyash:......I'm just querying the bit perfect transmission part. Surely you understand that if we have bit-perfect transmission, i.e the file that arrives at the dac is exactly the same as the one that leaves, then that cables per se can't possibly have any influence on the sound whether it be optical, usb or coax. Yet I hear differences. Am I not allowed to say that?

But that is not what this thread is about. We have enough cable debates as it is, please go and play there
emotion-21.gif

idc, you're being a bit rich. I was just mulling over YOUR OWN DEFINITION which you apparently no longer want to apply. Also, cannot threads wander in different directions or are what hifi-ers so puritanical? Cannot one pose questions in the search of knowledge? Oh, hang on, isn't that what you yourself did? Do I detect a whiff of double standards here?

idc

Sorry, I did not mean to be that way. It is just there is good info here about the bit perfect in relation to K-Mixer, WASAPI and ASIO and the the role of a PC in producing bit perfect, as opposed to a cable debate, of which we have many. Of course a thread can wonder, it is just on this occasion I was hoping we could avoid wondering down the well worn street of cable debates.

I cant find the thread, but I read W7 can do bit perfect if you go the Quick Time and select Windows Audio Session in Preferences/ Audio. But on my laptop it is greyed out and I do not have that option.

Does anyone know how it works if you stream music off the internet? Is Spotify bit perfect using W7?

A

Anonymous

idc:
Sorry, I did not mean to be that way. It is just there is good info here about the bit perfect in relation to K-Mixer, WASAPI and ASIO and the the role of a PC in producing bit perfect, as opposed to a cable debate, of which we have many. Of course a thread can wonder, it is just on this occasion I was hoping we could avoid wondering down the well worn street of cable debates.

I cant find the thread, but I read W7 can do bit perfect if you go the Quick Time and select Windows Audio Session in Preferences/ Audio. But on my laptop it is greyed out and I do not have that option.

Does anyone know how it works if you stream music off the internet? Is Spotify bit perfect using W7?
Fair enough idc. I jumped in a bit quick myself there I'm afraid. I wasn't really intending to go down the road of cable debates, just pondering about the implications of the definition, that's all.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc:Does anyone know how it works if you stream music off the internet? Is Spotify bit perfect using W7?

Difficult to answer that, given that even Spotify premium is compressed (ie lossy), so isn't bit-perfect with reference to the original CD in the frst place.

Once it hits the sound card however I can't see any reason to expect it to behave any differently to any other bitstream though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:idc:Sorry, I did not mean to be that way. It is just there is good info here about the bit perfect in relation to K-Mixer, WASAPI and ASIO and the the role of a PC in producing bit perfect, as opposed to a cable debate, of which we have many. Of course a thread can wonder, it is just on this occasion I was hoping we could avoid wondering down the well worn street of cable debates.Fair enough idc. I jumped in a bit quick myself there I'm afraid. I wasn't really intending to go down the road of cable debates, just pondering about the implications of the definition, that's all.

Oh I see, it's fair enough when idc says it but when I say I'm being an idiot? That's just charming that is...

idc

the_lhc:

idc:Does anyone know how it works if you stream music off the internet? Is Spotify bit perfect using W7?

Difficult to answer that, given that even Spotify premium is compressed (ie lossy), so isn't bit-perfect with reference to the original CD in the frst place.

Once it hits the sound card however I can't see any reason to expect it to behave any differently to any other bitstream though.

What happens when it hits the sound card? Is there a way of going into my soundcard (simply) and seeing what it is set at for streaming and onward transmission to the DAC?

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
smuggs:i can only pick safe mode or direct which one is better

i only have those as well ... got w7 64 bit .. and quicktime pro ... using mf v-dac hope i'm ripping my cds with wmp wav lossless.. is that any good ? . want to be sure i'm gettign the best sound

A

Anonymous

TALON1973:
smuggs:i can only pick safe mode or direct which one is better

i only have those as well ... got w7 64 bit .. and quicktime pro ... using mf v-dac hope i'm ripping my cds with wmp wav lossless.. is that any good ? . want to be sure i'm gettign the best sound

Wav is fine but not handy, as it does not support tagging the file with track information. So rip to flac (or wma lossless). You can convert your previous wav files to these formats also, so you do not need to rerip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts