Bi-wiring

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Does bi-wiring make a big difference in sound quality over using a single cable, and does the facility of bi-wiring only comne with the more expensive amps. I'm planning on getting a new amp and cd player but haven't got a huge budget so am considering the Marantz 6002, the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A, or Cambridge Audio 640A ? I'm guessing that these are not bi-worable ? Any advisde on this, thanks.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup... As The 'Big A' said...

Using the 2 sets of speaker terminals on those ams, feed the HF terminals on the speakers with the top set of terminals on the amp and the LF terminals on the speakers with the lower set of terminals on the amp

Make sure that you remove the jumper bars on your speakers first though!

I usually work it as 'middle two sets of speaker wire to the top terminals' and the 'outer sets of speaker cable to the bottom terminals'.

Hope you follow!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
But you can just as easily do it with an amp only having one set of terminals, by connecting the two sets of wires for each speaker together at the amp end.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Any of those amps can be used to biwire suitable speakers - ie those with four terminals on the back, not two.
[/quote]

Thanks for that info. So does bi-wiring give a greatly improved sound ?

I understand how the cable connects to the speakers, ie 4 terminals - 2 HF, 2 LF. Do these amps have equivalent terminals on them to connect other end of cable ?

Sorry for being a bit thick.

On another point - if a single cable is connected to a bi-wireable suitable speaker, which terminals should the cable be connected to - LF or HF ?

A

Anonymous

Steve,

Don't worry about it. Do not dismiss an amp or speaker because you think it can't be bi-wired.

Many see it as a marketing gimmick. Many companies only provide single wire terminals - for example, Dynaudio. Most recently Spendor seem to have reverted to it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I did some extensive testing myself a while ago. I came to the conclusion that biwiring doesn't do very much apart from increase the effective thickness of the wire that you use. I found an improvement biwiring initially, but putting the speaker jumpers back whilst still biwired made absolutely zero difference. So I bought thicker cable and it now sounds the same.
Also dont let anyone tell you that replacing the jumpers with cable is the same as biwiring... Its utter nonsense. Whatever else it does, it certainly doesn't have the same effect as doubling the thickness (and resulting having of impedance etc).

Of course biamping is another thing entirely.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stevee1966"]Does bi-wiring make a big difference in sound quality over using a single cable, and does the facility of bi-wiring only comne with the more expensive amps.

I'm planning on getting a new amp and cd player but haven't got a huge budget so am considering the Marantz 6002, the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A, or Cambridge Audio 640A ?

I'm guessing that these are not bi-worable ?

Any advisde on this, thanks.
[/quote]

In my experience it does and a big one at that.

I also found you could tailor the sound by mixing cables, ie have one cable connecting the treble spur and another connecting the bass. For a long time I was using van den hull cs122 for the treble and QED C38 for the bass. This combo worked well for me on Rogers LS6's and Celestion SL600 speakers.

I would recomend you try bi wiring with a cheap set of cables and see if you can hear a difference between single/bi wired set ups. Get some one to blind test you if possible.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"][quote user="stevee1966"]Does bi-wiring make a big difference in sound quality over using a single cable, and does the facility of bi-wiring only comne with the more expensive amps.

I'm planning on getting a new amp and cd player but haven't got a huge budget so am considering the Marantz 6002, the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A, or Cambridge Audio 640A ?

I'm guessing that these are not bi-worable ?

Any advisde on this, thanks.
[/quote]

In my experience it does and a big one at that.

I also found you could tailor the sound by mixing cables, ie have one cable connecting the treble spur and another connecting the bass. For a long time I was using van den hull cs122 for the treble and QED C38 for the bass. This combo worked well for me on Rogers LS6's and Celestion SL600 speakers.

I would recomend you try bi wiring with a cheap set of cables and see if you can hear a difference between single/bi wired set ups. Get some one to blind test you if possible.
[/quote]

Try replacing the jumpers whilst still biwired and see if you see any change... ;)

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]

Try replacing the jumpers whilst still biwired and see if you see any change... ;)[/quote]

Yes, we did that test in the late 80's, (we didn't have jumpers as the speakers were modded in to biwired config so we used another small piece of C38). Yes there was a difference- different to single and different to bi wired. If I remember rightly, using the wired jumper caused the sound to loose some bass tightness and the stereo depth collapsed a bit, anyway to us it was inferior to biwiring using the same type of wire, which in turn of inferior to biwiring using different carefully chosen bit of wire.

A

Anonymous

Higher quality single run + quality jumper better sound than cheaper speaker wire bi-wired IME. Both better than single run alone.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Try replacing the jumpers whilst still biwired and see if you see any change... ;)[/quote]

The changes are unlikely to be visible. Audible, maybe...

A

Anonymous

as far i'm concern.... everytime u buy a new speaker user manual will be provided...and i'm sure the manual will guide u on biwiring (or u can search online)
improvement? yes..... but not that much, anyway worth trying. and just to be clear, biwire is on the speaker and cable... any amp will do

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fr0g"]Try replacing the jumpers whilst still biwired and see if you see any change... ;)[/quote]

The changes are unlikely to be visible. Audible, maybe...

[/quote]

I see what you mean that you may hear the change but is it possible to feel it??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]I see what you mean that you may hear the change but is it possible to feel it??[/quote]

If you reach round behind the speaker, probably yes.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"]I see what you mean that you may hear the change but is it possible to feel it??[/quote]

If you reach round behind the speaker, probably yes.

[/quote]

Heart of stone Mr E. Heart of stone. I mean feel the music

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts