Bi wired speakers

Pavlo

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Is it really worth bi wiring speakers? I can understand possible benefits of bi amping but not bi wiring as it comes from the same terminal and the circuitry is the same as if the bridges on the speakers were in place. All the sorting out takes place after the speaker posts, inside the speaker. I have to say I can't tell the difference on good quality speakers and a trial with friends favoured the standard two wiring set up as opposed to bi wired!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

There are good reasons why bi-wiring is a bad idea. I can only assume it was a wheeze thought up by the marketing department of cable manufacturers to sell twice as much cable.

If you have forked out for the extra cables, you might as well use them - just keep the jumper plates in place on the back of the speakers.

andyjm said:

There are good reasons why bi-wiring is a bad idea. I can only assume it was a wheeze thought up by the marketing department of cable manufacturers to sell twice as much cable.

If you have forked out for the extra cables, you might as well use them - just keep the jumper plates in place on the back of the speakers.

If you are going to keep jumber plates in place why bother running two cables? Sell them and stick with one cable.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Bi-wiring from the same terminals on your amp is pointless.

If you have an amp with 2 sets of speaker outs then it's worth it.

if you have a receiver with A and B fronts definitely worth it (switch off all unused channels)

Some will argue otherwise but try experimenting see for yourself.

Pavlo said:
I have to say I can't tell the difference on good quality speakers and a trial with friends favoured the standard two wiring set up as opposed to bi wired!
Not wishing to be picky Pavlo, but you seem to be contradicting yourself. You can't tell the difference, but you actually prefer non bi-wired. At least your trial suggests there is a difference, so perhaps others would prefer the bi-wired?

I'll declare an interest because my Sonus fabers are bi-wired with Transparent cable designed for the purpose (4 cores in one sheath). But I've never tried it otherwise, as I had faith in the manufacturer's advice.

Pavlo

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if it sounds contradictory ! I can't tell the difference but out of 5 friends I tested this on, two thought bi wired might have been better and three thought normal use with two wires better. The consensus was that it was really difficult to tell any difference. I have been reading more about this and like all things opinions differ but I have doubts that bi wiring offers any benefit at all. Some even say it can degrade the sound quality. My speakers are Tannoy D700's and will show up any small difference but I can't hear any improvement bi wired. Bi amp is a whole different ball game but bi wired - I will await opinions!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Bi-wiring from the same terminals on your amp is pointless.

If you have an amp with 2 sets of speaker outs then it's worth it.

if you have a receiver with A and B fronts definitely worth it (switch off all unused channels)

Some will argue otherwise but try experimenting see for yourself.

Only when the amp is a true mono configuration, and even then it is questionable how audible the benefits may be. *unknw*

Pavlo said:
Sorry if it sounds contradictory ! I can't tell the difference but out of 5 friends I tested this on, two thought bi wired might have been better and three thought normal use with two wires better. The consensus was that it was really difficult to tell any difference. I have been reading more about this and like all things opinions differ but I have doubts that bi wiring offers any benefit at all. Some even say it can degrade the sound quality. My speakers are Tannoy D700's and will show up any small difference but I can't hear any improvement bi wired. Bi amp is a whole different ball game but bi wired - I will await opinions!
I understand better now, thanks! This may fall into the general category of cable debates then because some swear it makes a difference and others are convinced it cannot. My view is these things are subtle, whether real or imagined, but when you focus on one element it can become HUGE, and you can subsequently report 'night and day' differences, which could never be the case. And in turn, that fuels the doubters who respond that you are ridiculous. And so it goes on!

I will end by saying that moving the speakers a few centimetres probably makes more difference...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Well in my experience there are differences in separation/clarity.

One of the many reasons I did not go Roksan, that and lack of tone controls - flexibility to tinker.

It does depend on the quality of your speakers and the amps ability to drive them I suppose.

With regard to positioning of speakers - whIle I agree this makes a significant difference the better the sound coming from each speaker the better the results can be had from moving speakers around. The subtle changes add up to a better whole.

Again it's a suck it and scenario.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The general wisdom I've heard from very experienced audiophiles about bi-wiring. If one hears changes, it could be:

1) removing the links helped.

2) refreshing the old contacts helped.

3) adding double the wire gauge helped.

4) could be a placebo.

Not much merrit given to the story of alternate current electrons walking across double length of cable, therefore excess power from the woofer becoming spent in resistance before it reaches the tweeter to create distortion. However, hi-fi salesmen and hi-fi reviewers would of course disagree and support the explanation that sells more cable. Why wouldn't they?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol....... The science does not interest me. And if I hear a difference I have no problem trusting myself.

Each driver with its own cable utilising all output terminals on your amp makes sense to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts