Bi-Wire

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

There are no benefits from biwiring whether it's two or three way.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
On a three-way it's triwiring, not biwiring.

Unless, of course you leave the links in between treble and midrange, or midrange and bass, in which case it's biwiring again.

I have to ask the question of the naysayers: why, if it has no effect whatsoever, do so many speaker companies supply their speakers with biwirable, or even triwirable, crossovers?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
On a three-way it's triwiring, not biwiring.

Unless, of course you leave the links in between treble and midrange, or midrange and bass, in which case it's biwiring again.

I have to ask the question of the naysayers: why, if it has no effect whatsoever, do so many speaker companies supply their speakers with biwirable, or even triwirable, crossovers?

And if I can ask a question of the yaysayers: why, if there is an effect, do so many speaker companies supply there speakers without biwirable crossovers??

After all, biwiring features as one of the 10 biggest lies in this - yes, my tongue is firmly in cheek!.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Golly that's a very long and dull piece you linked to, even by the standards of the ridiculously verbose magazine from which it's taken. And did you have to link to the whole magazine, or is that how it appears on the Foo Fighter's Links List?

Clearly some companies believe in advantages of biwiring with their own crossover design, and others don't.

It's not a biggie, and really not worth getting so aerated about. There are more important things to worry about.

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
chainrock:I second advice given, rather than spending 2x on two runs of wires, spend 2x on a much better single wire and replace the links on BR2s with same speaker cable.

OK.

I've taken a deep breath & will ask a question which seems stupid amongst the tech stuff.I have my speakers bi wired & i was going to
change them back to a single wire .

I have lost one of the links so didn't bother,Chainrock,you mention replacing the link with speaker cable,how exactly.

Is the bare wire just wound around thespeaker posts ?

A

Anonymous

Cliff1:

OK.

I've taken a deep breath & will ask a question which seems stupid amongst the tech stuff.I have my speakers bi wired & i was going to change them back to a single wire .

I have lost one of the links so didn't bother,Chainrock,you mention replacing the link with speaker cable,how exactly.

Is the bare wire just wound around thespeaker posts ?

There could be multiple ways of doing it. What I personally did was cut a 5cm piece of wire, stripped about 1cm from each end and connected HF directly to LF. I use banana plugs so having the holes where speaker cable goes taken up was a nonissue. Simple as that.

I'd say do this for both speakers and save the links for if/when you want to sell the speakers.

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Octopo:
trevor79:See what you mean, to clarify I run the front Left & Right seperately bi amped, also I run them bi wired as well with Kimber 4TC to the mid/treble and QED SA to bass

You see, I had to read that twice to understand. Running cables from two different manufacturers is not bi-wiring. Oh Trev, you do confuse me...

Have a lay down and a cuppa.Bi-wiring is simply running 2 sets of cables to a speaker, the benefits of which are a lower impedance through 2 cables rather than 1, better separation on the crossovers (providing you take the links out) leading to wider sound staging.With that in mind I choose to run the better cable (Kimber 4TC) to the top crossovers to gain better clarity and detail in the Mids & Highs. The QED SA to the bass. Furthermore (to further confuse) on the 875AV amp equalizer settings (I run the front pairs on 'Full' speaker settings, not THX) I slopped back the bass response letting the SUB take over the heavy work. This gives the Amp more headroom to use its power to supply effortless signal detail from 120hz upwards when driven on Pavarotti on full throttle! Music is wonderfully detailed, dimensional with great presence (never a big wall of sound hitting you) and on good recordings the timber and texture is beautiful. With the various music settings on the 875 one can quickly find one that improves the poor recorded CD's than the totally revealing PL2 setting.Yep Bi-wiring is a improvement, but your system needs to be up to scratch to get noticeable improvements out of it. Otherwise using 2 better quality / thicker cables in the 1st place will give similer results IMO.

That's got it Trev. I think I'll stick to single wiring all the same. I tried all that bi-wiring stuff and it didn't make any difference! (except to my wallet).

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

.ÿ

ÿThey don't want to lose out on potential customers who would not take them serious otherwise.

ÿ

ÿÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah right, so it's a marketing con then - is that what you're saying?

Can't help feeling that if I were that cynical about the industry supplying a hobby or interest I enjoyed, I'd knock it on the head and go and take up fishing or railway modelling or something instead.

A

Anonymous

Im sure foo can be found in both fishing and railwayÿmodelingÿtoo ,i do love hifi and have done since i was a kid.

But without scientific evidence to prove otherwise i remain skeptical ,

Why oh Why cant this stuff be tested and laid to rest once and for all , the evidence would speak for itself.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
drumlins4ever:Im sure foo can be found

Sorry, what is 'foo'?

I know what 'foo' is in programming but I don't think it's applicable in this sense. foo is a term sometimes put in place of an unknown variable when giving an example, sort of thing...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:LOL andrew doesnt know what "foo" is

Funny because...?

Feed-On-Offer (FOO)
Measurement of the total quantity of pasture in a paddock, expressed in kilograms of pasture dry matter per hectare (kg DM/ha)?

and I'm familiar with the military slang 'fubar',

but 'foo' in this context escapes me.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I get the 'foo' interjection, kind of - like 'phew!' holding nose when one encounters a bad smell -, but beyond that I'm afraid those definitions don't make me any the wiser.

A

Anonymous

See here, third one down: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/foo

A

Anonymous

tractorboy:See here, third one down: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/foo

That is the definition I said. I'm not a geek though.

TRENDING THREADS