BI-WIRE SPEEKER CABLE FOR HI-END SYSTEM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hi Will, I notice in the threads that your always buying things- I assume your stinking rich? Is there anything you don't own?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
All he need now is a hifi system
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Yup. That's me. Mr. Mega bucks.

No, mate i'm not rich. It's all relative. I share a flat with 2 friends, drive a '98 Peugeot 306. Don't have a wife and kids, or a mortgage.

I do work hard though and have been on a splurge recently, but that's mostly down to not having splurged for many years. So yes, I have a nice hi-fi depending on your view of these things, but no, that's about all I have! LOL.

You're welcome to come over for a movie anytime.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't mind cable reviews as long as they included RLC measurements - which is not currently the case for some strange reason...

A

Anonymous

It would certainly be ignoring capacitance and other possible factors, and is a total assumption that resistance is all that matters.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mr_wazoo"]
It would certainly be ignoring capacitance and other possible factors, and is a total assumption that resistance is all that matters.
[/quote]

Depending on the application (e.g. speaker cable or I/C) and the specific case (e.g. long cable lengths), RLC do play their part.

In any case, RLC-meters are relatively cheap - I'm sure audio magazines can afford one. They could measure the cables under test, tell readers what they're paying for (and if the numbers agree with those the "manufacturer" publishes) and each one of use can decide what "weight" he/she will give in each of the measured values. Simple, ain't it?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you lots are trying to turn WHF&V in to Hifi World! The mag have a selling point in a non-techie market, I quite like it that way. If you would like to know more in-dept infomation then there always a manufactor's website.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
I think you lots are trying to turn WHF&V in to Hifi World! The mag have a selling point in a non-techie market, I quite like it that way. If you would like to know more in-dept infomation then there always a manufactor's website.

[/quote]

I agree Thaiman, I like WHF non-technical, other magazines do the technican side quite well. However I think WHF could sometimes be a bit more detailed in their reviews. Not talking specifically about cables here, more that often they review a product and dont mention any weaknesses, then 2 months later another product comes alongf and beats it, and suddenly they are mentioning weaknesses. Would be nice if they said everything in the original review and didnt hold any info back.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

That would be great if manufacturers did tell the truth about their products' specs - but unfortunately this is not always the case.

And I don't see cable measurements in the "techie" magazines either - which is indeed strange.
For example, Stereophile does measure everything but, for some reason, Atkinson and his crew cannot afford an RLC-meter. Telling your readers to buy interconnects that cost more than a car (JPS for example) based solely on subjective data (= listening test) ? "Go on! Buy that Ferrari if you can afford it! It felt like it accelerated faster than the Lambo we tried out last month". Just LOL.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The problem here is the Mag is reviews so many gears and that include the AV and MP3 stuffs (that I normally skip through!) but that where the market is! So in-dept reviews would really push the dead line and stress out Simon, big time!
I did, briefly, fall out with the Mag when Andy choose to add "and vision" at the end of What Hifi but as a business man myself I can see "Why".....you have to give what Majority want!

A

Anonymous

I fell out with them for a few years, when they went 63KI mad...only just starting to regain trust in them tbh.

A

Anonymous

Just kidding. Having no wife and no kids and NO MORTGAGE is definetly a plus for being into this gear! My wife thinks I am very sad and my friends eyes glaze over when they ask me a simple question about their tv, hence why I find myself on this forum with like minded people....my wife dosn't understand me........

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="mr_wazoo"]
I fell out with them for a few years, when they went 63KI mad...only just starting to regain trust in them tbh.

[/quote]

C'mon buddy....the 63KI was incredible at the time (or even now!) I wish I kept my one as it will certainly be a sort after classic. I would rather fall out over too many Cyrus on review!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

[quote user="mr_wazoo"]

[/quote]

C'mon buddy....the 63KI was incredible at the time (or even now!) I wish I kept my one as it will certainly be a sort after classic. I would rather fall out over too many Cyrus on review!

[/quote]

That Marantz sound never sounded right to me.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"][quote user="mr_wazoo"]I like WHF non-technical[/quote] Surely there is room for tests as well as subjectivity. All this listening to mains leads crap should be booted out.[/quote]

I am not in to Main cables, that is a known fact in this forum by now! but hang about my old mug....as long as people willing to pay for these products they will be manufactures keep making them and it's the mag's duty to test them as they are class as part of hifi equipment
emotion-16.gif
I haven't a clue how editors test them??? but we are in minority here mate.....and as loud as you can shout, you will never change their mind!

A

Anonymous

Not into mains cables either, but it's not like they test many anyway, they don't really take up much space in the mag. Unlike all that home cinema stuff that doesn't really interest me...

A

Anonymous

HI ALL,
I THINK I GO FOR THE CHORD EPIC BI-WIRE SPEEKER CABLE. THANKS FOR HELPING ME MAKE UP MY MIND!. MY NEXT QUESTION IS IN REGARDS TO BALANCED XLR CABLES. I AM CURRENTLY USING CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR XLR BALANCED CABLES IN MY PRIMARE SYSTEM, WHICH I PURCHASED FROM RICHER SOUNDS. THEY COST ME £99.95 FOR A PAIR, WHICH I THINK IS NOT A BAD PRICE CONSIDERING SOME XLR CABLES COST £500 A PAIR. MY QUESTION IS: ARE THESE CAMBRIDGE AUDIO XLR CABLES ANY GOOD FOR A HIGH END SYSTEM? OR SHOULD I GO FOR MORE EXPENSIVE CABLES TO IMPROVE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF MY SYTEM?
TT4N

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="oldphrt"] Hifi World "listen" to mains cables too. The lunacy is endemic[/quote]

I know one dealer up north that doesn't sell any main cables as he doesn't agree with it. I went to demo Conrad pre/Krell power, about a years ago and he used the freebie ones....rare now a day considering the mark up on these products that he could earn!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="oldphrt"]

Just measuring the resistance per metre would do for me. The lower the resistance the better the cable.

Or is that making life too easy?[/quote]
No, the lower the DC resistance, capacitance and Impedance (frequency dependant resistance) the better...

The very fact you have two conductors at a potential difference to one another means you have a capacitance. You also have other factors, like the wire cladding that introduces capacitance. The Impedance is related to the skin effect, for that you want a higher cable surface are.
I would say the best speaker wire would be made from very thin silver strands, coated in a very thin insulating layer. thousands of these strands will make up one wire when qound together like rope. At the end the insulation is removed and replaced by gold plating (so at no point is there silver in contact with air.). No cladding on the wire either. The surface area of the conductor will be enourmous, skin effect will be negligable until it reaches half the wire tickness. I don't know the figures for silver, but copper as a skin depth of 0.66mm at 10Khz. So on a solid core wire of 5mm radius you have a impedance at 10Khz that is (5 x 5 x pi - 4.34 x 4.34 x pi = about 20 mm^2 divide that by overall area = 0.25) 4x higher than at 10hz (where the skin depth will be bigger than half the wire thickness and the effect irrelevant). 4x higher translates to a 12dB loss.

A

Anonymous

I don't have much experience of hi-fi but I have just bought the same kit as you .I have the Anthem 2 balanced cables.

I am about to get the Chord Epic super twin based on the reveiws in the mag,the opinion of my retailer and that of Andrew on here.I have managed to get a price of £1000 for two 11m runs,it's a lot of money but I don't intend to continually tweak my systym,I just want the best I can get at the moment.I really need to make sure I listen to the music NOT the kit and I was starting to to lose my way with all available options.

I also have a mains conditioner and leads and a Quad L sub with siren cable.

I have just been away for a week or so and on my return I turned on the stereo and went to bed ready for the morning.

it's AWESOME,it's much better than I remembered.

my point is this.

I need something for reference and recomendations,WHFSV is what I choose to use and thus far it has served me very well.

Roll on those FocalJM lab Utopia's.(the baby one's)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts