Between spike and disc...

Mycroft Holmes

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

sorry if this is not the best group for the question, but I really need some help to solve an issue I have.
My hi-fi is in a modular rack (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but bear with me, I'll try to explain anyway...).
basically each unit is a mini-table with four "spiked" legs... it's not really a spike, it's more like a "bump", and this bump is supposed to lean into a symmetric "hole" in the unit below (like in the picture attached).

I have this problem: the legs are about 20cm tall; I recently found a nice used amplifier, which unfortunately it's a bit over 22cm, so it won't fit.
Does anybody know if there's something like a thick metal disc which I could put in between to raise the legs by 3 cm?

Thanks for the help,
MH

85712a_89f3d610ecf64137a7e8dfa99c404f58~mv2_d_5315_5126_s_4_2.webp

I can't see your picture, though the first thought that occurs is you could put the amp on the top shelf - presumably this has adequate clearance. If you do what you are suggesting, it needs to be in such a way that it's stable - I'd be concerned about it getting a nudge, coming loose and dropping the shelf in question onto the new amp.

Mycroft Holmes

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Who manufactured the rack? Might they not be able to provide different leg lengths if it's modular.

Thanks for the welcome.

About the air-gap: yes, I know, but I simplified a bit the problem... Anyway, here are some more details:

The rack is made by Norstone. It has 1 set of 26cm legs and 2 sets of 20cm legs.
I have two options: the best solution would be to buy another set of 26cm legs (but I contacted Norstone and they replied no, they don't sell spare parts).
Alternatively, I could get some space raising one of the 20cm slots and rearrange the components (my 26cm slot is already taken, but the item in it is not super-tall, it's very close to 20cm)

Mycroft Holmes

May 17, 2020
Visit site
you could put the amp on the top shelf

thanks for the reply.
unfortunately, the top shelf is not available, it carries a lot of smaller items, and the TV, so it cannot be easily swapped. Sure I'm concerned about stability, that's why I asked if anything suitable exists... I suspect not, even if conceptually I would need something as simple as a thick metal disc with one "bump" below and a hollow above (so not too hard to manufacture, I guess).

Mycroft Holmes

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I see. They won't sell an additional 26cm shelf, so you could retire one of the smaller ones? Obviously you are getting into greater expenditure there, though.

unfortunately not, they don't sell spare legs (to my surprise), nor individual shelves (which is something they do, but for a different model).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts