Better late than never...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
These were last year: Gentle Ben - Ben Webster/ Tete Montoliu Trio, from 1972 one of his later albums.

Centrefield - John Fogerty from 1985, never heard it before.

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden, had not played this for years.

Not been playing much old stuff this year.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have been playing this again, after many years:

51iFPChBwaL._SS500.jpg

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been listening to a lot of old folkies... Nick Drake, Pink Moon Five leaves Left, John Martyn London Conversation/The Tumbler, Anne Briggs Sing a song for you and Sandy Denny No more sad refrains.

Also came across a guy called

James Hunter, an album called The hard way, very much like Sam Cooke

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9

Don't know any of them.

Currently playing Soften the Glare "Making Faces" only released last September but my first listen. Seriously good so far.

And don't be fooled by Roon classifying this as Pop/Rock. It's anything but. More Prog Rock/Jazz Fusion

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
<<Alternatively what old album have you returned to not paying much attention to before?>>

Night at the Opera by Queen. Always found it completely overrated. Just two songs ever stood out for me: Bo Rap, which I agree is worthy of all the praise (YMMV obvs) , and and Love Of My Life. The rest of the album was IMO just totally forgettable B-sides, especially the meandering Prophet's Song where nearly three minutes of its prolonged 8:21 agony is Freddie showing us he's bought a tape-delay and he's not afraid to use it to mutitrack his acapella wails.

However one of my kids has been studying Bo Rap in their GSCE music lessons at school and has been streaming the whole album quite a lot over the recent easter break, through my speakers. Not sure whether it's been a case that I finally 'get it' after 43 years or whether it's more a case of having become comfortably numb to it, but I find I appreciate the songs more.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Now you're talking. Title track is awesome, so is I'll Find My Way Home, it's so great to hear the original version of State of Independence which everyone thinks is a Donna Summer song, and the sleeper for me is The Mayflower: one of those tracks whose qualities only grow on you after many listens.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CnoEvil said:

Now you're talking. Title track is awesome, so is I'll Find My Way Home, it's so great to hear the original version of State of Independence which everyone thinks is a Donna Summer song, and the sleeper for me is The Mayflower: one of those tracks whose qualities only grow on you after many listens.

This album wasn't too shabby either (I had both on Vinyl, back in the day):

4141PDZ4XGL._SS500.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Also came across a guy called'

James Hunter, an album called The hard way, very much like Sam Cooke

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I used to have 2 or 3 of his LP's including this one. As you say very Sam Cooke like but I found him to be a bit of a one trick pony. Pleasant enough but one LP is all you need. I believe in an earlier incarnation he was know as Howling Wilf, 10/10 for the name alone!

D

Deleted member 160668

1993. Liked it, but not listened for ages. Been relistening recently.

Proper classic, excellently recorded and super-bouncy music.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've recently revisited this Dutch prog band from the early 70's. If you like early Emerson Lake and Palmer then you will love this. If you hate ELP then you'll definitely hate this
regular_smile.png

20130313010305.jpg

Nemo

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
<<Alternatively what old album have you returned to not paying much attention to before?>>

Night at the Opera by Queen. Always found it completely overrated. Just two songs ever stood out for me: Bo Rap, which I agree is worthy of all the praise (YMMV obvs) , and and Love Of My Life. The rest of the album was IMO just totally forgettable B-sides, especially the meandering Prophet's Song where nearly three minutes of its prolonged 8:21 agony is Freddie showing us he's bought a tape-delay and he's not afraid to use it to mutitrack his acapella wails.

However one of my kids has been studying Bo Rap in their GSCE music lessons at school and has been streaming the whole album quite a lot over the recent easter break, through my speakers. Not sure whether it's been a case that I finally 'get it' after 43 years or whether it's more a case of having become comfortably numb to it, but I find I appreciate the songs more.

I would have to say I find bohemian rhapsody an unlistenable pile of poo. Just a personal thing, I loathe it, but that doesn’t mean it is bad, it’s not queen, it’s me. That said, have you ever heard queen 2? Back when queen were a rock band, side two, (well, I am a vinyl junkie) is a definite prototype for bo rap, but for me, a hundred times better. Your offspring could do well to give it a listen. You can clearly make out where it all started. Queens best album (for me).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
This album wasn't too shabby either (I had both on Vinyl, back in the day):

Yeah it's almost as though they're two records of the same double album, but even as a huge Vangelis fanatic I find Short Stories is my least favourite J&V collab (my fav is a toss up between Friends of Mr. Cairo and Private Collection). I Hear You Now is a classic, but I sometimes wonder what they were smoking during tracks like the opener, Curious Electric, where it seems to be about components in a TV set talking to each other. I like Far Away In Baagad but tracks like The Road and A Play Within A Play don't really resonate with me. Jon has such a great distinctive voice though.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nemo said:
That said, have you ever heard queen 2? Back when queen were a rock band, side two, (well, I am a vinyl junkie) is a definite prototype for bo rap, but for me, a hundred times better. Your offspring could do well to give it a listen. You can clearly make out where it all started. Queens best album (for me).

Yes. I have all their studio albums on CD. It started when I bought The Miracle CD when it first came out, then I bought Innuendo. Then Freddie died and they became high profile again and over the next couple of years I bought the remainder. You can probably buy them all in a boxed set for less money than the £11.99 I paid for new CDs in HMV and Our Price in those days, but ce la vie.

D

Deleted member 108165

MajorFubar said:

Vangelis I like, but paired with Jon no, I find his voice far too weak and shrill. The State Of Independence cover was a Quincy Jones idea, Donna was just a guest vocalist on her own album, personally I much prefer Donna's version. I also like her rendition of Lush Life from the same album.

D

Deleted member 108165

Can't fit in with the OP Better late than never as I only listen to old stuff over and over, I have my favourites and I stick to them. Boring? Maybe for some.

insider9

nopiano said:
I have discovered this classic jazz album properly after somehow missing out on a proper listen for decades.  Now I can see/hear what all the fuss was/is about. 

Sometimes good things are worth waiting for!
I'm still discovering Jazz. I wasn't that bothered with it until 2 years ago. I'm sure there's lots more there. I still haven't covered discographies of all the greats. Nevermind the less know artists.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
nopiano said:
I have discovered this classic jazz album properly after somehow missing out on a proper listen for decades. Now I can see/hear what all the fuss was/is about.

Sometimes good things are worth waiting for!
I'm still discovering Jazz. I wasn't that bothered with it until 2 years ago. I'm sure there's lots more there. I still haven't covered discographies of all the greats. Nevermind the less know artists.

I did that about 20 years ago, I bought the Penguin guide to Jazz which was excellent, score out of 5 and a short review on each album, unfotunately this guide is out of print as has not been updated for years as one of the writers passed away. If you have a library nearby they often have a copy. Allmusic is the next best place for reviews although I don't always agree with their jazz ones.

You could try: Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers, Dexter Gordon - Doin' Alright, Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny.

D

Deleted member 108165

insider9 said:
DougK said:
Can't fit in with the OP Better late than never as I only listen to old stuff over and over, I have my favourites and I stick to them. Boring? Maybe for some.
In that case post some of your favourites in a hope we missed them the first time :)

You wouldn't like my favourites, they're all a bit too mainstream popular music covering 50's-80's. I think many on here would be happy to have missed them *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS