Better late than never...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

BigH said:
insider9 said:
nopiano said:
I have discovered this classic jazz album properly after somehow missing out on a proper listen for decades.  Now I can see/hear what all the fuss was/is about. 

Sometimes good things are worth waiting for!
I'm still discovering Jazz. I wasn't that bothered with it until 2 years ago. I'm sure there's lots more there. I still haven't covered discographies of all the greats. Nevermind the less know artists.

I did that about 20 years ago, I bought the Penguin guide to Jazz which was excellent, score out of 5 and a short review on each album, unfotunately this guide is out of print as has not been updated for years as one of the writers passed away. If you have a library nearby they often have a copy. Allmusic is the next best place for reviews although I don't always agree with their jazz ones.

You could try:  Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers, Dexter Gordon - Doin' Alright, Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny. 
I shall have a look. Cheers!

D

Deleted member 108165

MajorFubar said:
DougK said:
You wouldn't like my favourites, they're all a bit too mainstream popular music covering 50's-80's. I think many on here would be happy to have missed them *biggrin*

Some of us probably would.

Not sure how to read this one Major... Should I take it that some would like my favourites, or, would be happy to have missed them? *smile*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
MajorFubar said:
DougK said:
You wouldn't like my favourites, they're all a bit too mainstream popular music covering 50's-80's. I think many on here would be happy to have missed them *biggrin*

Some of us probably would.

Not sure how to read this one Major... Should I take it that some would like my favourites, or, would be happy to have missed them? *smile*

LOL! No I meant some of us would probably want to know them!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
CnoEvil said:
This album wasn't too shabby either (I had both on Vinyl, back in the day):

Yeah it's almost as though they're two records of the same double album, but even as a huge Vangelis fanatic I find Short Stories is my least favourite J&V collab (my fav is a toss up between Friends of Mr. Cairo and Private Collection). I Hear You Now is a classic, but I sometimes wonder what they were smoking during tracks like the opener, Curious Electric, where it seems to be about components in a TV set talking to each other. I like Far Away In Baagad but tracks like The Road and A Play Within A Play don't really resonate with me. Jon has such a great distinctive voice though.

+1... doesn't really matter what others think, as long as you do, besides it's just good to know others tastes.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

rainsoothe

To my shame, I just discovered Alan Parsons Project not two months ago, thanks to a song being featured in some TV series (forgot which, might've been the excellent "Mindhunters"). I'm not an old geezer, but I do listen to a lot of old stuff, including obviously Pink Floyd and Genesis. But somehow, AP slipped under my radar.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Tusk’ is a vastly underrated album IMO. In its day it was a bit unerappreciated, coming as it did during the advent of Punk and after the mega-selling ‘Rumours’. One or two tracks miss the mark (by some way) as a result of Lindsey Buckingham trying to modernise the band’s sound, but there are some seriously beautiful tracks on here with exquisite vocals and understated playing.

An almost forgotten classic containing some real gems.

D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:
Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Tusk’ is a vastly underrated album IMO. In its day it was a bit unerappreciated, coming as it did during the advent of Punk and after the mega-selling ‘Rumours’. One or two tracks miss the mark (by some way) as a result of Lindsey Buckingham trying to modernise the band’s sound, but there are some seriously beautiful tracks on here with exquisite vocals and understated playing.

I only have three of Mac's albums and would tend to agree with you regarding Tusk. Difficult to separate Rumours and Tango In The Night, but I think my favourite is the latter... guess it suits my more commercial ear.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
MajorFubar said:
CnoEvil said:
This album wasn't too shabby either (I had both on Vinyl, back in the day):

Yeah it's almost as though they're two records of the same double album, but even as a huge Vangelis fanatic I find Short Stories is my least favourite J&V collab (my fav is a toss up between Friends of Mr. Cairo and Private Collection). I Hear You Now is a classic, but I sometimes wonder what they were smoking during tracks like the opener, Curious Electric, where it seems to be about components in a TV set talking to each other. I like Far Away In Baagad but tracks like The Road and A Play Within A Play don't really resonate with me. Jon has such a great distinctive voice though.

+1... doesn't really matter what others think, as long as you do, besides it's just good to know others tastes.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Oops! only just realised I put my words in the wrong post, meant to be directed towards DougK, sorry about that.

Mac

www.reamusicnet.wordpress.com

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
Infiniteloop said:

I only have three of Mac's albums and would tend to agree with you regarding Tusk. Difficult to separate Rumours and Tango In The Night, but I think my favourite is the latter... guess it suits my more commercial ear.

Never been a "Tusk" fan a few good tracks but "Fleetwood Mac" the album before "Rumours" is the one that is often overlooked, I would rate this second behind "Rumours", Tango in the Night is probably 3rd for me.

D

Deleted member 108165

BigH said:
Never been a "Tusk" fan a few good tracks but "Fleetwood Mac" the album before "Rumours" is the one that is often overlooked, I would rate this second behind "Rumours", Tango in the Night is probably 3rd for me.

Thanks H, I'll try and get a listen.

insider9

DougK said:
BigH said:

Same here. Know "Rumours" very well and listened to a couple of others but it's been a while.

D

Deleted member 108165

No worries Mac, I agree with your sentiments entirely. Picked up some really good music pointers on this site, and looks like I've just discovered another one too!

D

Deleted member 108165

DougK said:
BigH said:

Hmm, blinding album! I like that very much, so much so I just bought a used 1984 copy, thanks H *good*

As for the Tusk album, just had a quick listen to refresh my memory and it's appealing in a kinda Fleetwood Mac meets Talking Heads way, but there are some really good tracks on there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts