Better CDP has more effect on sound improvement than a better amp would

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Following a conversation with a salesman I was told that if I was going to spend more money one either an amp or cd in a set up it should go on the cdp, as the source will have more effect on sound quality than an amp. e.g marantz pearl lite cdp + 6005 amp in stead of marantz pearl lite amp and 6005 cdp.

Is this the case? I know my ears will tell me the final result, but what is the general opinion/fact?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I guess it depends on what speakers you partner it with: how revealing they are and whether the amp can control them properly.

As a rule of thumb, I would expect more money to be spend on the amplifier will give better results.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Best not to listen to salesmen. For vinyl I would agree but I find not much between cdps. Best to listen to them. I think it will depend on what speakers and volumes you use as well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
In the case of Marantz, it will be decided by how close the 2 CDPs are, versus the 2 amps.......Like BigH, I would strongly expect that the amp would be the place to spend the extra, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.

The speakers you are using will also be a factor.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
In the case of Marantz, it will be decided by how close the 2 CDPs are, versus the 2 amps.......Like BigH, I would strongly expect that the amp would be the place to spend the extra, but I can't say that with absolute certainty.

The speakers you are using will also be a factor.

my my current speakers are Wharfedale diamond 9.1. I am however upgrading these later in the year, and will be looking at Dali Zensor 3

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chrisrock said:
my my current speakers are Wharfedale diamond 9.1. I am however upgrading these later in the year, and will be looking at Dali Zensor 3

If you go for the more expensive amp, make sure you also try Arcam, Creek and Rega......and later on Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chrisrock said:

If you go for the more expensive amp, make sure you also try Arcam, Creek and Rega......and later on Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers.

Yes I agree I have heard all those and the Pearl Lite from my demos I thought the Creek was the best for me. As for cdp I might go for the Pearl Lite because will not be around much longer and for £600 its probably the best at that price and it should last longer than the 6005. I have Marantz 63SE still going after 20 years. If you are changing amp and speakers you may want to consider AVI 9RS, thats what I ended up with.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You will not appreciate any improvement with your speakers or the planned upgrade.

a good amp and good speakers will accomadate so so source (then we can get back to some good old interconnect fights..... lol)

I'd get the best amp I could get and speakers to match - then go for a decent source if it were my money.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
There is no simple answer. Things are not so straightforward anymore. You can go very high with sources for a excelent almost-budget amp like Rega Brio-R, and on the other hand you can use very good amplification and speakers with a proper source like Arcam irDac. You need a good transparent amp (they can be cheap) to appreciate better sources, but then you might just find out that you need an even better source that you were fishing for. IMO.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nima said:
You can go very high with sources for a excelent almost-budget amp like Rega Brio-R, and on the other hand you can use very good amplification and speakers with a proper source like Arcam irDac. You need a good transparent amp (they can be cheap) to appreciate better sources, but then you might just find out that you need an even better source that you were fishing for. IMO.

Yup, that's what happens when you jump on the merry-go-round....it's fun, but can get expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts