Best tool for stripping speaker cable!?

seasonsdownfall

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I done it with scissors last time, but kept cutting too deep which resulted in losing more length and having to start again!

Is it just me or is it a fiddly job, it was the first time i'd done it though!

Anyone specific pliers/ advice?

Thanks

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I use a very sharp Stanley knife, roll the cable under the blade while placing a small amount of pressure on the blade. It will score the plastic and should allow easy removal of the bit of plastic using fingers or snips( gently)

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
You get many types of pliers specifically for wire stripping, with as many variations in cost (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-inch-Soft-Strippers/dp/B000LP9X3E/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1329390591&sr=1-2).

If you are only doing occasional work, something simple is more than good enough.

Asking at your local hardware store is probably the easiest way to get some.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
I use a very sharp Stanley knife, roll the cable under the blade while placing a small amount of pressure on the blade. It will score the plastic and should allow easy removal of the bit of plastic using fingers or snips( gently)

me too but you can get a pair of "proper" stripping pliers clicky if you do it a lot. They allow you to set the cable size to get the best effect

A

Anonymous

visionary said:
me too but you can get a pair of "proper" stripping pliers clicky if you do it a lot. They allow you to set the cable size to get the best effect

Even better, google "automatic wire stripper" for a tool that automatically sets the guage of the wire, looks like this...I've have something like this for years, been a god send

41ETYYMD1CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the good old Stanley knife* (*other brands are available!) I strip all sorts of cables with one (make sure it is really sharp though). I've tried all the other sorts of strippers and keep coming back to the knife, takes a bit of practice to make sure you don't cut into the conductor though.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Even better, google "automatic wire stripper" for a tool that automatically sets the guage of the wire
Agreed. One of the other benefits of this type is that you strip the exact amount without stretching the sheath. So you don't end up having to do it again

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
pliers.JPG

I have those Ronson Wire Strippers from Maplins as well, not ver good at all. Much better of with some normal sharp pliers like the above, or some decent wire strippers like these-

sharp-wire-stripper-cutter-pliers-tool-red-handle-18938n.jpg

http://www.sourcingmap.com/sharp-wire-stripper-cutter-pliers-tool-red-handle-p-18938.html

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
pliers.JPG

I have those Ronson Wire Strippers from Maplins as well, not ver good at all. Much better of with some normal sharp pliers like the above, or some decent wire strippers like these-

http://www.sourcingmap.com/sharp-wire-stripper-cutter-pliers-tool-red-handle-p-18938.html

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
pliers.JPG

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
pliers.JPG

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I use a lighter to burn the plastic off around the wire then simply slide it off. I'm 53 and that's how I've been stripping all types of cable - electric or otherwise - for probably 40 years (although I used matches in my early years!)

A

Anonymous

Sizzers said:
I use a lighter to burn the plastic off around the wire then simply slide it off. I'm 53 and that's how I've been stripping all types of cable - electric or otherwise - for probably 40 years (although I used matches in my early years!)

....that's novel :rofl:

If small cable I use stanley...roll the cable along the blade using thumb. DON'T press too hard or you WILL end up cutting yourself!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
My hi-fi dealer also recommend using a lighter. I did it once, put the cable down to cool, drifted off into thinking about something else, then thought "what was I doing again, oh, that's right, I was connecting my speakers" so picked it straight back up again while the metal core was still scorching and burnt myself. Eejit.

There are small adjustable wire strippers which you can get, they're about the size of a lighter, I use one of them now. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plasplug-Hws827-Handy-Wire-Stripper/dp/B0001P0HWU Not as good as the proper wire strippers pictured above, but fine for me.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Stanley knife here too, though do be carefull.

Years ago I was stripping some real thick biwire cable that was being really stubborn. I was sat cross legged being carefull,

I slipped and sliced my thigh and the worst thing was I was wearing my brand new 501s :O

Made a nice pair of shorts though.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
The stripping tools are good. They are useless with thicker insulation eg QED anniversary silver xt!! That is tough insulation around that cable!! The strands ar quite prone to making yoy bleed too!!! |(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts