best system for my money

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to purchase my first seperate system. I have narrowed it down to the following package deals I have seen advertised and I was woundering if anyone could give me their opinion as to which will be the best for my needs.

1) Cambridge Audio 540A v2 amp, Cambridge Audio 540C v2 cd and Mordaunt-Short 902i speakers. £500

2) NAD C515BEE CD & C315BEE AMP & TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM £342 or with Q Acoustics 1020i for £372.

My living room is 4mx3m and I listen to the Likes of Kings of Lion. The Fray, Snowpatrol e.t.c, and occasionaly smooth/eay listening Motown. I am not to concerned with overly loud volumes as the walls in new houses are thin.

I have a £500-£550 budget, and I would like to be able to buy speaker cables and stands with this as well.

Thanks for your help.

T

the record spot

Must admit, I'd be over the NAD gear like a rash for that money. I saw that in WHF at the turn of the year and thought it was a brilliant deal. The following month's issue had the self-same kit reviewed (with the Q speakers) and it walked out with a 5 star review.

No disrespect to the CA gear, but NAD's been a longstanding favourite of mine (still got my old 3020A from 1986). I'd tip this one all the way. The review'll be on here too maybe.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I bought the Cambridge Audio 540v2 amplifier a fair while back and was left feeling a bit underwhelmed so much so i took it back within 14 days for a refund. I used to own a NAD system and would certainly recommend it as a starter system.

matthewpiano

Another recommendation for the NAD system here, although you'll get much more sound for your money if you buy used gear. As you are starting in this game, though, I can well see the attraction of a ready packaged system and I think the NAD set-up is a fine deal.

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. Any suggestions as to which speakers to go for? The Tannoys do seem to get a much better review in WHF, but I am woundering which will suit the system better.

T

the record spot

When WHF reviewed the all-in-one system, it came with the Q 1020i's, and it walked off with a 5 star review. If you're going to Superfi, ask if you can have a dem with both to get your Ts and Qs in order - as it were - then you'll be in a better position to decide which you think is best.

A

Anonymous

Raymond1:Check out www.glasgowaudio.com "Offers" - 2nd hand - Marantz CD6002 & PM6002 and Monitor Audio RS1 speakers.

That's a great combo for £530! If I was starting from scratch I'd give it a serious thought.

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit Raymond that deal is a cracker. The sad thing here though is, that after much debate with mt other half, she now insists that we do not have the room for a seperates system. It took me 3 weeks to be given permission to spend the mone as well.

But all was not lost, i have now ordered a Denon M37, with some Tannoy Mercury F1, Chord Signature cable and Atacama stands. Not quite on the level of the seperates i know, but a close second I hope.

A

Anonymous

Shame. Partnered with Van den Hul "The Name" interconnects and VdH "Snowtrack" bi-wire speaker cable the sytems superb. I'm sure we could have come to some arrangement to keep you on your max budget. Other 1/2's always get in the way!

Best of luck with your new system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts