Best DAC for my system

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
I currently have KEF LS50 speakers, sphinx V2 amp, pro-ject debut carbon turntable, rel HT1205 subwoofer, and I have been using a cambridge DAC. I have been considering upgrading my DAC for a while, and just recently it stopped holding power. ie it just overheats and shuts down after a while.

I am not sure exactly what I sure what I should be looking for in this quest but I am hoping to keep it under $1000, or even less if possible. I use my system primarily for records but I do stream through spotify often, and I also occasionally use the setup as a home theater system for movies (sorry if this is sacrilegious but just being honest). The space is relatively small, like 20x20 or so. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Presumably that's US dollars?
can you actually get to audition anything? DACs can be very different both soundwise and regarding connections.
As @nopiano asks it would be good to know what you intend to connect to it.
I would suggest buoy look at some home-grown devices such as those by Schiit Audio

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’ve been using a chromecast for Spotify - I’ve considered using a dedicated streaming device but honestly I’m pretty new to the hifi world so I’m still getting a feel for what’s out there.

Thanks for the reply - yes USD. Unfortunately I really don’t have the ability to audition anything.
Thanks.
No hifi stores in your neighbourhood?
Buying blind can be a costly mistake. Best decide if you want a dac of a streaming device then read as many reviews as you can on the devices. A quick Google "for ten best dacs" or the like could be one way to start a list.
If you are used to the Cambridge 'sound ' then the DacMagic 200M might be a good place to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadders

shadders

I’m a little embarrassed to say that I’ve been using a chromecast for Spotify - I’ve considered using a dedicated streaming device but honestly I’m pretty new to the hifi world so I’m still getting a feel for what’s out there.
Hi,
There is no embarrassment in using a Chromecast device - it does what it needs to. I assume you are using the optical output to the DAC ?

I use my hifi when watching films, as the audio processor has dolby capability.

As Al ears said, why not get a Cambridge Audio DAC if you like the sound and cannot audition.

Regards,
Shadders.

If you’re only really using it for streaming then a Bluesound NODE or a Cambridge CXN v2 would be worth considering. A used Chromecast Auduo can fetch about twice the original retail price on eBay, at least it can here in Blighty. I still have mine!

I‘m not sure what brands are good value where you are. Prices sometimes go haywire when exports are concerned.

Reactions: twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I’m with no piano Based on your needs bluesound sounds like it would the trick. Streamer and dac built into one little box with the ability for hdmi connectivity.

nothing wrong with a chromecast as a streamer I have mine hooked up to chord dac still. Sounds nice and can’t really fault it.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts