Best Speakers

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ajani said:
...Ummm... You do know that the ADM9's have been reviewed (and 5 star rated) by WHF?...

...Ummm... You do know that B&W's PM1's also received a 5 star rating by What Hi-Fi?

And that the WHF website curently lists 25 other 5 star rated speakers in the £1000 to £2000 category apart from the PM1's and ADM 9's?

J

jcbrum

drummerman said:
jcbrum said:
drummerman said:
Its not about who is right or wrong but most of my friends would never even spend £200 on an amplifier or a set of speakers.

Not even if they were 50 years old (the friends, and the speakers), and the size of a couple of refridgerators (the friends, and the speakers), and got them for nothing out of a skip ?

How odd !

JC

Uuh?

regards

Sorry, dm, it was an attempt at humourous rhetorical sarcasm.

Won't do it again.

:oops:

JC :silenced:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Overdose said:
Unfortunately for you, you are going to find it hard to demo the ADMs back to back against anything and given your reluctance to buy on faith, these speakers are really not for you, so you might as well forget about them.

For many other people though, they are ideal.
Think I'm by far in the majority, mate. Few buy speakers on faith alone, which, when you think about it, is as it should be.

Good luck to you anyway.

Minority, majority? Who cares? It wasn't my point and I'm not sure how luck comes into this?

I have what I need for now, it's you that's looking and you need to look elsewhere. The ADMs are clearly not for you for a number of reasons that you have stated yourself, so nothing worth worrying about is it?

It almost seems that you're bitter about the fact that you can't easily get to hear them. Just relax, there are other more accessible options for you.

Plenty more fish in the sea as they say.

J

jcbrum

Seems to have woken lindsayt up though (he of the wardrobe sized speakers) :rofl:

How many of those WHF speakers, previously listed as 5*, have built-in remote control pre-amp with memory, remote selectable multi digital and analogue inputs, built in DAC, active x-overs with ech driver directly connected to it's own matched amp, and in attractive domestic finishes with grilles ?

Needing only a source to provide a full hifi complement all in one cabinet.

JC

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Ajani said:
...Ummm... You do know that the ADM9's have been reviewed (and 5 star rated) by WHF?...

...Ummm... You do know that B&W's PM1's also received a 5 star rating by What Hi-Fi?

And that the WHF website curently lists 25 other 5 star rated speakers in the £1000 to £2000 category apart from the PM1's and ADM 9's?

And how many of said speakers have incorporated remote controlled preamp, DAC and active power amplification?

Ummmmmm?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
Seems to have woken lindsayt up though (he of the wardrobe sized speakers) :rofl:

How many of those WHF speakers, previously listed as 5*, have built-in remote control pre-amp with memory, remote selectable multi digital and analogue inputs, built in DAC, active x-overs with ech driver directly connected to it's own matched amp, and in attractive domestic finishes with grilles ?

Needing only a source to provide a full hifi complement all in one cabinet.

JC

Hurumph, copycat

Although more eloquent and more comprehensive a reply. ;)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
Ajani said:

And how many of said speakers have incorporated remote controlled preamp, DAC and active power amplification?

Ummmmmm?

I can buy a good quality DAC and a good quality 300 watt amp for £350. I really don't see the inbuilt DAC and amplification in the AVI ADM 9's as a big deal. You might see them as a bid deal. I don't.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Ajani said:

Therefore? My point (as is clear in the rest of my post, which you clearly ignored) was just that the ADM9s are clearly a quality product. Nothing more. However, I truly have no idea what the point of your response was supposed to be.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ajani said:
lindsayt said:
Ajani said:

Therefore? My point (as is clear in the rest of my post, which you clearly ignored) was just that the ADM9s are clearly a quality product. Nothing more. However, I truly have no idea what the point of your response was supposed to be.

So, would you say that the B&W PM1's are also clearly a quality product?

To be specific of approximate equal quality to the AVI ADM 9's?

To be more specific, approximately equal sound quality per pound spent?

J

jcbrum

Sorry lindsayt, no intention to offend, just teasing you a bit about your 50 year old wardrobe size loudspeakers, which most people wouldn't give house-room to, and would have put in a skip by now, because the technology is so old and out of date, and doesn't work so well as recently developed newer technology drivers, and stuff like that. innit. ;)

JC

J

jcbrum

p.s. (in a confidential whisper, lindsayt) . . . are you 'normal' ? . . or are you one of those people who go to HiFi shows ?

J

jcbrum

Sorry, JD, I've taken plenty of flack and insults from these guys and others (shill, puppet, cult member, etc), and I'm only teasing them in return as a humourous response. Try to see it in that light :)

. . . and give them a telling off too ?

JC

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Ajani said:
I may not like the claims AVI makes, how they talk about traditional audio brands, mags and audiophiles or how they "advertised" on this forum in the past, but I don't doubt that they make a quality product.

And that is the whole point isn't it? AVI claiming that people who go to hi-fi shows are not normal. It makes me want to give them a wide berth. The way they ''advertise'' under false names on the forum. Would you trust their business model? No, me neither.

No doubt the product will suit a small number of people in the hi-fi market. that's fine and nobody has a problem with that. If someone has £1,500 and wanys active speakers, then great. However, we have seeen them recommended for someone looking to spend £350 on speakers, another one was £600 on a DAC, another one £800 on a CD transport (which he'd still need, even with active speakers), £4,000 on a CD Hard Drive etc. So in the end we have no other option but to laugh at them.

While I wouldn't be suprised to see someone recommend a pair of AMD9's and an AppleTV in a thread asking for a £300 turntable, I think you maybe at the other extreme. If you read some of the comments from non AVI owners in this thread, it seems your anti-AVI rants are more likely to strengthen interest in AVI than weaken it. Which means you are aiding all the persons you think are secretly marketing AVI on this forum.

IMO, your earlier posts read as if AVI has something to fear from direct comparison with other products. Their products aren't a "scam", just a legitimate alternative. I'm sure that not everyone would pick an AVI system over a similarly priced seperates system in direct comparison, as we all have different sonic preferences (not to mention aesthetic preferences, source components and room sizes).

Also, while I have numerous issues with AVI's PR/marketing, I'm not anti-AVI. I don't desire to see their business fail.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
lindsayt said:
I find the tone of this part of your post mildly rude and provocative.

You'll get used to the name calling from the cult members after a while. There'll be plenty more to come. Remember unjustified criticism is a back handed compliment.

As well as your ill-founded paranoia re AVI marketing, you have also repeatedly intimated that they are a poor product. I ask for I think the fifth time on this thread, how extensive is your experience of listening to AVI speakers? Have you ever heard them?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
Minority, majority? Who cares? It wasn't my point and I'm not sure how luck comes into this?

I have what I need for now, it's you that's looking and you need to look elsewhere. The ADMs are clearly not for you for a number of reasons that you have stated yourself, so nothing worth worrying about is it?

It almost seems that you're bitter about the fact that you can't easily get to hear them. Just relax, there are other more accessible options for you.

Plenty more fish in the sea as they say.
Huh? Just reponding to your points, mate, that's all. You may not like them, but that's how it is, you're entitled to disagree, no need to take it personally.

Have you heard Maggies by the way? Now there's a speaker worth crossing continents for!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
lindsayt said:
Ajani said:

Ummmmmm?

Dynaudio Xeo3.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I might just go to the Scalford show, to see what all the fuss is about and what is available there. I have zero intention of taking my ADM40's with me, though.

TRENDING THREADS