Best speaker package to accompany an Onkyo 875?!?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've pretty much convinced myself to go with the Onkyo TX-SR875 as my AV reciever (handling my PS3 and Sky HD as input sources)………..

……….now I just need to decide on the best home cinema speaker package to go with it. Any suggestions?

My budget is £500-£1000 and I have been looking at the Tannoy Arena and KEF 2005.2 set-ups to give you an idea of the market I'm browsing.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I think you might need to reconsider this plan. The Onkyo is a stupendous receiver, but its capabilities far exceed the speaker packages you're considering. It really needs to be used with packages in the £2000 class (or more). It'll work with a £1000 package, of course, but - to use a crude analogy - it'll be a bit like buying a Lamborghini for the school run.

If your budget is restricted, a better balance would be to buy the Onkyo TX-SR605 (£400) with something in the £1000 class (such as the KEF package mentioned by another poster). You won't lose on out high-definition audio format support by going this route, incidentally. If, on the other hand, you're set on a TX-SR875 but can find additional funds, team it with a package like the Dali Ikon 6 5.1 (£2238) or, if you want a style package, the Tannoy Arena HighLine 500 (£2695).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kungula"]try the KEF KHT 3005SE. It is also a recommendation of what hifi.[/quote]

Yeah, I checked these out too. They look really nice and the write-up is pretty impressive.

Do you know how they compare with the Tannoy Arena package?

My audiophile friends keep harping on about how different systems work better with different speakers................ so much so, that I'm getting really paranoid about which ones to go for!!!!

A

Anonymous

For what it's worth, we'd take the KEFs over the Tannoys. But my earlier point stands: neither system is appropriate for your plans.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Kerr"]For what it's worth, we'd take the KEFs over the Tannoys. But my earlier point stands: neither system is appropriate for your plans.[/quote]

Cheers for the advice Andy.

Point well made regarding the 875. I was looking at this as being the cornerstone piece for a future-proof home cinema system, but as you said I may be over-engineering for the sake of it.

Maybe I will take another look at the 605.

Thanks again for potentially saving me a few quid!

A

Anonymous

I had the KEF 2005.1 set up with my Denon AVC amp and when I upgraded the speakers to my Dali Ikons I noticed a massive, huge, gobsmacking difference in sound quality. The KEFs had been doing NOTHING at all in proportion to the Amps abilities. So be careful with partnering a too good amp with inadequate speakers, it's a waste of money. So grab the 875 if you can and partner with the Dali Ikon 6 5.1 setup and you'll blow everything else away. £1950 if you haggle and worth every single penny.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts