Best Songs to Test Speakers

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
audioaffair said:
One of our current favourites, a real variety one here, to test any system:

The%20Princess%20EP.jpg

+1

Music that jumps out of the speakers at you. Some really great bass lines. I'm a big fan of Parov Stellar. I don't like the electro-jazz that he does but his electro-swing stuff is brilliant. Here's a good playlist of his:

http://open.spotify.com/user/steve_1979/playlist/6hidhcyXyGWq6PyevD0Rf9

Same thing here I really like Parov and Nicolas Jaar too !

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
when i went to the ATC factory recently, they played me Mother Protect by Niki and the doves. I now can't stop listening to it!

Also, I find pretty much anything by Nicolas Jaar. Fantastic production.

Interestingly, ATC put their success down in part to the introduction of the compact disc, as it was the first recording medium able to hold enough detail for their mid dome to really show what it can do, and struggled to sell the idea of their mid dome before the CD was about

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lejockey said:
when i went to the ATC factory recently, they played me Mother Protect by Niki and the doves. I now can't stop listening to it!

Also, I find pretty much anything by Nicolas Jaar. Fantastic production.

Interestingly, ATC put their success down in part to the introduction of the compact disc, as it was the first recording medium able to hold enough detail for their mid dome to really show what it can do, and struggled to sell the idea of their mid dome before the CD was about

Just playing Space is only noise by Nicolas Jaar, its quite interesting and sounds pretty good.

lejockey

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Rick, I listened to the 100 active towers, and then the little 7s. The 100 towers are stunning, as are the 7s, but its hard to listen to the 7s having heard the 100s. I have a pair of DIY based on the drivers from the 50. I use an active crossover and some homemade amps. I love how ATC seem genuinly interested in supporting the DIY community.

The XLR8R podcast by Nicolas Jaar is 50 minutes of incredible sound :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
We all love our female jazz vocals to test our hi-fi. But how about a male jazz vocal that will shake your soul and levitate your mind higher and higher with heartfull lyrics and well crafted sonic waves?

Listen to the greatest live male jazz vocal today - Gregory Porter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bmh9A8Dl1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xArIbhZVy-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgp3GtwLpvk

MI0003633949.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
We all love our female jazz vocals to test our hi-fi. But how about a male jazz vocal that will shake your soul and levitate your mind higher and higher with heartfull lyrics and well crafted sonic waves?

Listen to the greatest live male jazz vocal today - Gregory Porter.

Vladimir , You are now my official music Guru ;)

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I used these songs (and some more) for demo's (not only for listening speakers but equipment in general):

Television - Rhyme (this song really stands out on the album "Television"), atmospheric and dynamic.

Lhasa de Sela - Por eso me quedo, surprising combination of instruments and rythms, purity

Kari Bremnes - Gåte ved Gåte (from the album with the same name), dynamics, voice, purity

Pablo de Sarasate- Danza Espagnola nr. 1, beautiful chamber music

Bernstein - Symphonic dances of West Side Story, full orchestra

Feel free to leave a comment if you know the songs or tried them out for the 1st time!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
My Nigerian lawyer will contact you shortly. You have just inherited 500 million dollars.
grin.gif

:bounce: Yay! I can buy the four pairs of Electrocompaniet Nemo power amps that I wanted and a pair of PMC MB2 XBD SE to go with them !

I presume there will be a small fee so that I can claim my inheritance ? if so I will send you a small drink on top to say thankyou ;) :grin:

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Some great music in this thread and thank you for introducing me to some new ones.

A few of my own -

Terry Callier - Dancing Girl - Fantastic male vocal track (similar to Gregory Porter) with lots of additional instruments, a deep soundstage and plenty of tempo and dynamic changes.

Lucia Micarelli - My Funny Valentine - brilliant 'classical' arrangement of the jazz standard and violin recording.

Damien Rice - Cannonball - for stereo imaging.

Rene Marie - Let's Do It - great track and for the trumpet solo after about 3and a half minutes in is a killer. If you're a jazz fan I recommend this one :)

Angus Stone - The Blowers Daughter - better than the original in my opinion and as most of Angus & Julia's stuff well recorded.

The Bad Plus - Gaston - just so much going on if you're system can untangle all the rythym section and piano!! :wall:

Sorry for all the jazz. 8)

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Who said Youtube can't sound gooooood?

Lee Ritenour feat. Chris Botti - Papa Was a Rolling Stone

It doesn't get much better than this :grin:

I saw Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin live a while back at Ronnie Scotts and it was amazing !

I have almost every recording that Lee Ritenour has done and many from Chris Botti also .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
sbrads said:
For testing drive, pace and dynamics there's one song that 95% of systems fail on and that's Young Man Blues on The Who's Live at Leeds. It should sound like your at the front row of the concert and the drums should whack you in the chest.

Sounds good on my system.

lejockey said:
Rick, I listened to the 100 active towers, and then the little 7s. The 100 towers are stunning, as are the 7s, but its hard to listen to the 7s having heard the 100s. I have a pair of DIY based on the drivers from the 50. I use an active crossover and some homemade amps. I love how ATC seem genuinly interested in supporting the DIY community.

The XLR8R podcast by Nicolas Jaar is 50 minutes of incredible sound :)

Hi lejockey

Thanks for your reply.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts