Best Songs to Test Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
That make sense ;-)

Bu I also have to clarify a thing. I was testing some speakers Some Audiophisics Scorpio against BW 804 An oké maybe It's not a fair comparasion because there is a 200€ price difference. But even if my preference was always pulling me back to the 804's With a more closer listening.

The Scorpio's where quite enjoyable on some tracks an parts certainly with live tracks. This I think because of the side woofers on both side of the speakers. Witch I think will also make the positioning really picky...

Reason I was pulled back to the 804's, is because when listening to a complete track on the AP I often found them to bright an uncontrolled bass, missing that touch of maturity I find in the 804's

So bottom line is: because the way the AP excels on some parts I was asking myself the question do I actually prefer the BW because I’m so used to the BW sound?

The dealer in question is not my usual dealer, But he said the only way to break to that supposable routine is to demo several speakers with tracks I don’t know.

(On the other hand we all have songs we know by hard an actually we also unconsciously looking for the way we want them to sound. There is no right or wrong here an it doesn’t mean different is bad. An I certainly don't think the different brand we all mention make bad speakers, It might just not match your ears an feelings)

Beside I might discover new music an artist’s I like during that demo.

Witch already happened to me during some unexpected demo's at my normal dealer an that's always cool :bounce:

A

Anonymous

I usually let the salesman run a couple of songs that he thinks bring out the equipment's strengths. For me that's also a way to discover new artists (recently The Pineapple Thief and Nathalie Merchant).

But I also have a couple of standard test tracks:

Gare du Nord - Chet's Chat (close-miked trumpet, deep voice)

Wende - Break My Heart (warm voice, acoustic guitar)

Alan Parsons - Silence And I (orchestral layers, bass hits)

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize (drums, guitar drive, sibilant voice)

Marillion - Living With The Big Lie (recording on the edge)

Yellowjackets - The Spin (complex bass lines)

I wouldn't focus on range too much. Too many speakers I've heard have excellent high and low extension but lack midrange detail. And finally, as many have already mentioned, take recordings that you know inside-out. You'll more easily spot differences if you know how something "should" sound.

A

Anonymous

For testing drive, pace and dynamics there's one song that 95% of systems fail on and that's Young Man Blues on The Who's Live at Leeds. It should sound like your at the front row of the concert and the drums should whack you in the chest.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As Gregory states in post#2, you should try stuff you're familiar with. It is good to try a choice number of tracks that sound amazing, but lesser recorded material will tell you more about a system. Some stuff might sound quite muddled and ill defined on a budget system, but play it on a more capable system, and you're suddenly treated to an open soundstage where each instrument has its own space and can be followed regardless of how complex the music. It is tricky finding this sort of stuff as you have to have heard it on both types of systems, but I find Neil Finn's Try Whistling This is one of them. I've also found Kate Bush's voice is very dependant on the system it's played on - not my cup of tea, but her fans out there should know what I'm talking about.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Michael Jackson's Essensial compilation - MJ's music is has some of the best quality sound production that I've ever heard and there are a lot of different types of sounds in his music.

Mozart's Amadaus movie soundtrack - To test how speakers will sound with various types of classical styles and this album was produced to a very high standard.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - To test how speakers will sound with badly compressed music. Their Californicaton album is the worst victim of the 'loudness war' that I've ever heard.

Twill

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
STodd said:
drichardb said:
lol just replied to the unanswered thread! Here's my post to keep it all in one place...

Me too..!

Just been through a test session myself last Friday:

AC/DC - Its a long way to the top (if you want to rock n' roll) - good for treble, the pipes can sound 'wrong' and its very noticeable

Muse - Feeling good - good for keyboards and 'big entrances'

Pearl Jam - Immortality - acoustic lows to drum highs, great mixture

The Answer - Under the Sky - big guitars, drums and vocals

Led Zeppelin - Going to California - no comment required!

The Faces - Ooh La La - fantastic acoustic guitar and vocals

Smashing Pumpkins - Zero

Black Crowes - Remedy

Can you tell I like rock..?!

Job done
cheers.gif

Stodd, big Pumpkins fan myself, but interested you use Zero as a test track. Is it just me, or does MCTIF, as an album, sound generally like it was recorded inside a box of packing foam? I love the tracks, but always feel like Siamese Dream is more rewarding sonically on a hifi.

A

Anonymous

Twill said:
Stodd, big Pumpkins fan myself, but interested you use Zero as a test track. Is it just me, or does MCTIF, as an album, sound generally like it was recorded inside a box of packing foam? I love the tracks, but always feel like Siamese Dream is more rewarding sonically on a hifi.

Twill, apologies, I should have spotted this reply sooner :oops:

I know where you're coming from - and just listening to it again, I definitely would agree.
HOWEVER, what's good about 'Zero' is that it has

- heavy bass with guitar over the top - so if a system can't seperate these instruments successfully, it will be obvious
- stops and starts ("...emptiness is loneliness, loneliness is cleanliness...") - there are heavy drums/bass, then silence/vocals, then more drums/bass, then silence/vocals, so you can hear the drum notes roll off for example

And yes, Siamese Dream is much more sonically rewarding. :rockout:

STodd

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
siamese dream was recently remastered and, from memory, is better sounding than the original. listening to it now, not bad at all. :dance:

Patware

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Rule 1: use what you know well

Besides that, there's one song I like to play to divide a system in two categories: pass or fail, and it's White Zombie's More Human Than Human.

That song will be simply awful on a bad system.

I never leave without at least one of these:

Alain Caron - Sep7entrion

Daniel Bélanger - Rêver mieux

Harmonium - L'Heptade

HenBel

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I AM SHOCKED!!!!

That no one recommended these:

Sting - Englishman in New York

Sting - Desert Rose

Queen - Another one bites the dust

Especially Englishman in NY was recorded with an Orchestra! Massive detail, and it literally covers the entire Bandwidth. Jazz, Rock, Pop !

you are more then welcome to try yourselves, and tell me your oppinion.

greetings from the warm South Africa :cheers:

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If your hi-fi can make this sound beautiful without a struggle and separate everything in its dense production with a fine comb, it is a really good hi-fi.

E. S. Posthumus Unearthed - Nara

I really like this Cd :cheers: If I can find a copy at a decent price I will buy it and let you know if my system can cope :)

I suspect my system will have no problem with this recording at all because it thrives on dense , complicated and dynamic music and can unravel anything you throw at it .

Try this track for size , I played it for my son's girlfriend to demo my system and at one point she literally screamed and jumped out of the listening chair :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXRdINUwdqw

ROTH AV

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have found that the new Roth OLI RA loudspeakers sound absolutely splendid with any type or genre of music recorded on any medium.

So whatever type of music you like/love.....it'll always sound better on the OLI RAs.

Now if that doesn't get a Happy New Year bit of moderation........I'll be very surprised !!

Happy New Year everyone.

:cheers:

:rofl:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
A 20Hz to 20kHz sine wave sweep is a useful tool for testing speakers. It allows you to easily hear the frequency responce and any amplitude peaks or troughs throughout the frequency range. It's also useful for highlighting any phase distortion present around the crossover frequencies too.

IME the speakers that sound the smoothest with a 20Hz to 20kHz sine wave sweep are usually also the ones that sound the most natural with music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
HenBel said:
Hi all,

I AM SHOCKED!!!!

That no one recommended these:

Sting - Englishman in New York

Sting - Desert Rose

Queen - Another one bites the dust

Especially Englishman in NY was recorded with an Orchestra! Massive detail, and it literally covers the entire Bandwidth. Jazz, Rock, Pop !

you are more then welcome to try yourselves, and tell me your oppinion.

greetings from the warm South Africa :cheers:

If i dared to play Sting on my hifi it would switch itself off in disgust

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Vladimir said:
If your hi-fi can make this sound beautiful without a struggle and separate everything in its dense production with a fine comb, it is a really good hi-fi.

E. S. Posthumus Unearthed - Nara

I really like this Cd :cheers: If I can find a copy at a decent price I will buy it and let you know if my system can cope :)

I suspect my system will have no problem with this recording at all because it thrives on dense , complicated and dynamic music and can unravel anything you throw at it .

Try this track for size , I played it for my son's girlfriend to demo my system and at one point she literally screamed and jumped out of the listening chair :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXRdINUwdqw

Thanks for that Electro, now I know I'm awake.

matthewpiano

Recent experience has taught me that whilst it is important to use a range of the music you love and are familiar with, it is also very useful to see how well the system enables you to engage with a new piece of music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts