Best Solution for Ripping Huge CD Collection

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
I am very tempted to start ripping a part of my collection (6000 CDs) to a NAS
I think I want to use Synology as a NAS and for the moment I will let my Yamaha RX-V675 to read from the NAS
Later I will add a streaming solution but the 1st priority is to rip the CDs to the NAS without a PC
I have a Marantz CD6002 but I guess I cannot use it somehow to rip the CD in some lossless format (or even FLAC) directly to the NAS? Is there anythng I can use between the Marantz CD player, the Yamaha receiver and the Synology NAS to rip the CDs to FLAC?
Should I go for something like the Bluesound Vault or Coctail X40? Or maybe the Innuos which had very good reviews??
Of course if there are many solutions I would love to hear your opinion

Thanks!!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My solution would be to pay someone else do do it. I lost the will to live with about a tenth of your collection.

Unfortunately you can't use a CD player to rip CDs. Even if it could, a CD player only plays CDs at their normal speed in any case. So if you could some how religiously find the time to rip 3 CDs per day (which would likely take in excess of four hours a day unless your CDs are very short), you'd be at it for five and a half years!

You need a computer or some other device that rips the CDs at many times normal speed and stores them, like the two devices you mentioned. Or like I said at the start, pay some other mug to do it!

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
regular_smile.gif

Gray

I ripped about 1000 CD / CDRs using a laptop with Exact Audio Copy (EAC), using an external CD drive rather than the laptop's own fiddly drive. The whole process took several months.

EAC (and others) go online to get album details (not for any CDRs where you've programmed your own track order) and artwork but you'll find that ensuring correct spellings and highest resolution artwork, takes a lot of time and patience.

Don't rule out Major Fubar's advice to get someone else to do it, even if it seems to be an expensive service (I honestly couldn't charge enough to rip / tag / art 6000 CDs to the same standard as I did my 1000)

If you do decide to do it, back up your rips as you do them. One forum member backed his up to about 5 different HDDs all stored in separate houses! The Major talks of losing the will to live - that's when all goes well. If you lose 6000 rips on an unbacked-up drive you will kill yourself. Have fun.

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
Thank you guys, actually I said I want to rip a part of my collection. 1000 would be fine for the moment, Will make space for new CDs :)
There are lots of limited edition and signed CDs I cannot just rip and get rid of them

I will probably go for an Innuos solution as a start and see from there
I don't know in UK but I don't think I can easily find such ripper service in Greece (although with the crisis I might be able to find somone doing this for me for much less)

Dennis Michos

Jun 24, 2008
Visit site
You know the law is different from country to country. I doubt there is an EU law on this.....besides if I have to keep my CDs then I don't see the benefit ripping 1000 CDs as it will not free any space :)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am not sure, I think Spotify has a bigger db, but I'd imagine Tidal is pretty covered at this stage also. There may be a couple you cant find, as you discover these you can rip them ones. I'd doubt you'd find yourself lacking very often

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts