Best possible connections

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Please could somebody help me?

I'm looking for the best possible connections in terms of picture/sound for my new Sony Bravia 40W2000 TV along with the following equipment:

Sky basic digital box (2 scarts)

Sony RDR-HX510 DVD recorder (2 scarts, no HDMI)

TVonics DVR-FP250 Freeview box (in order to watch another channel whilst recording from the Sky box) (2 scarts)

Technics stereo

Obviously I will only be able to use scarts, but is there a certain way of connecting the above for the best results? Also which are the best brand of scarts to use, QED, Ixos etc.

Many thanks in advance

Wayne

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Bit confused here: why do you need the TVonics box to act as a Freeview tuner to watch TV when recording from the Sky box? Surely you can just use the tuners in the TV for that?

Assuming that's the case, then you need aerial feeds from your TV aerial to the Sony recorder, and then from the recorder's aerial out to the TV. You also need a scart cable from the Sky box to the TV, another from the Sky box to the recorder, plus a further Scart from the recorder to the TV. That should do it.

QED Scart cables, and the company's aerial cables, would be more than good enough.

A

Anonymous

I have a BRAVIA and a sony dvd recorder and I have connected them together with 1 scart to use the smartlink, although this disables RGB transmission to use the extra bandwidth. Use a decent scart to overcome this to a certain degree. Do the same connection between your sky and dvd recorder into your dvd recorders non smartlink enabled scart. then a final scart between tv and sky box. do away with your freeview box and use your tv's built in one. If this is set up right you should be able to use your bravias digital EPG to set a timer recording on your dvd recorder automatically.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Andrew, sorry.... not too hot on this sort of thing to be honest!

So just to confirm, if I simply want to watch another channel whilst recording from the Sky box, I can just do this through the freeview on the TV? But if for example, I'm not in and want to record 2 channels at the same time, I would need both the Sky and TVonics freeview boxes connected?

Also, would you think the QED Squart P2110's are sufficient or would you recommend another QED?

Thanks for your help

A

Anonymous

Right, I have looked into this in great depth.
You should connect your dvdr to your tv via fully wired scart to the smartlink scart input.
Then the sky box to your dvdrs second scart input, and to your tv with an RGB Scart to component adaptor, to connect to the component input on your TV.
Then your Freeview to your tvs second scart input. primarily as a viewing method, should you be recording from your tv and sky at the same time.

I think thats right.
Go for sthe sqarts. they are v. good.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, that's right. But yes to record two programmes at once you will need to use both boxes, and ensure there are aerial feeds to both of them and a scart connection from Tvonics to the TV to enable you to watch what you've recorded. My only concern would then be about interference or loss of RF signal on the aerial line if it has to go through two PVRs before it hits the TV.

As the Sony has two Scart inputs, connect the Sky box and Sony recorder as I already mentioned, but feed the Scart signal through the TVonics on the way from Sony recorder to TV. That way you have one feed from Sky direct to the TV, for the best possible picture quality when simply viewing, and another through the recorders for convenience.

And yes, those QEDs will do just fine.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies guys, your assistance is really appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts