Best place to buy 2nd hand equipment?

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys

What's the best place or site to buy 2nd hand equipment from apart from eBay. I would like to buy the following:

-av,centre speaker and rear speakers to integrate with my hifi. This is so that I don't have to buy additional front speakers-I don't have the space.

- want to upgrade my cd player with a roksan caspian m1 cd player. I never liked the sound because it sounds to contained not open and exciting like my previous arcam set up. I know they are two different setups. I am hoping the the roksan kandy cd player is at fault and the caspian cd player will sort the problem out.

I live in London. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Swordtail said:
Hi guys

What's the best place or site to buy 2nd hand equipment from apart from eBay. I would like to buy the following:

-av,centre speaker and rear speakers to integrate with my hifi. This is so that I don't have to buy additional front speakers-I don't have the space. 

- want to upgrade my cd player with a roksan caspian m1 cd player.  I never liked the sound because it sounds to contained not open and exciting like my previous arcam set up.  I know they are two different setups.  I am hoping the the roksan kandy cd player is at fault and the caspian cd player will sort the problem out. 

Try second hand hifi

But why not ebay? So much more choice

Andrewjvt said:
Swordtail said:
Hi guys

- want to upgrade my cd player with a roksan caspian m1 cd player. I never liked the sound because it sounds to contained not open and exciting like my previous arcam set up. I know they are two different setups. I am hoping the the roksan kandy cd player is at fault and the caspian cd player will sort the problem out.

Try second hand hifi

But why not ebay? So much more choice

Andrewjvt is quite right nothing that wrong with eBay which I have made use of frequently.

Otherwise try:-

www.hifi-forsales.co.uk or www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk both of which I have used with no problems.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've found some great deals from actual hifi dealers selling their ex-dem, end-of-line or trade-in stock. Usually cheaper than eBay. You do have to do some digging around though.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
It's a pity what hifi doesn't have a buy and sell section here in the forum

+1 but I think given the maintenance and administration this would require it would be difficult to do given the current state of forum support.

Might I suggest that there is a "Wanted / Swap" thread so that if someone has something they are looking for, then fellow forumers could suggest where to get the item from or even arrange a sale / swap outside of this site if they have something to trade.

Swordtail

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
I will try gum tree. I prefer it to eBay because the site gives precise location and telephone numbers. That helps when one wants to see and hear the suff before hand-I don't drive.

Tino mentioned ex-demo, open box and old stock hifi dealers. I would prefer that but of course not with caspian m1 cd player due to its age. I know richer sounds and superfi does good deals- just waiting if I can for the new year sales. Is there any others because it would be nice to get extended guarantees considering quality I have to get to integrate with my hifi set. Thanks.

insider9

There's a good number of reputable dealers on eBay that will consider offers. Some even offer lower prices when contacting them outside of eBay.

Most will offer returns which is great especially if you're unsure about pairing. That allows sufficient time for home demo.

Gumtree can be very good also but only if you have an opportunity to demo before buying. There's lots of scammers out there.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Just a slight correction to Al ears website address for hifi for sale:

not "hifi-forsales", just "hifi-forsale"

I added the full correct website address but my post got stopped for being spam!!!

Swordtail said:
Hi guys

Aside from the suggestions of different outlets, may I offer this?

1. To match Proac fronts you heed the same make, and preferably models - though the centre will be unique. You can safely buy secondhand.

2. CD players are rarely faulty as to their sound. If you don't care for your current Roksan, I'd suggest trying to audition alternatives at a dealer first. If you are 100% sure on the model, then a good used one should be fine. I agree with tino that dealers often have used stock worth checking. Richer Sounds invariably have lots, often sold via eBay, as does Peter Tyson and others who do a lot of mail order.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Joe10155 said:
Just a slight correction to Al ears website address for hifi for sale:

not "hifi-forsales", just "hifi-forsale"

I added the full correct website address but my post got stopped for being spam!!!

You need to be an actual spammer - with no previous posts - to successfully spam the site with links to external sites.

nopiano said:
Swordtail said:
Hi guys

Aside from the suggestions of different outlets, may I offer this?

1. To match Proac fronts you heed the same make, and preferably models - though the centre will be unique. You can safely buy secondhand.

2. CD players are rarely faulty as to their sound. If you don't care for your current Roksan, I'd suggest trying to audition alternatives at a dealer first. If you are 100% sure on the model, then a good used one should be fine. I agree with tino that dealers often have used stock worth checking. Richer Sounds invariably have lots, often sold via eBay, as does Peter Tyson and others who do a lot of mail order.

Not too sure what you mean by unique, I assume you mean because it's singlular rather than non-ProAc. I agree with matching and ProAc do actually make a Studio centre speaker to match the 140's

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Not too sure what you mean by unique, I assume you mean because it's singlular rather than non-ProAc. I agree with matching and ProAc do actually make a Studio centre speaker to match the 140's
Al ears, can you please explain why the speakers in an AV system need to be the same make and preferably the same models?

lindsayt said:
Al ears said:
Al ears, can you please explain why the speakers in an AV system need to be the same make and preferably the same models?

Perhaps I could quote nopianos' reply to you here because he could see what was coming, but to forestall any elongated arguments with any wind-up merchants I will simply say if you want to create a surround sound system using five different speakers each from five different manufacturers then go ahead its a free country.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I believe av forums.com has a buy and sell section within it's main menu but you do have to become a member,I think Steve1979 used it recently to acquire a njc audio headphone amp and is very pleased.

I've bought and sold items quite a few times on the AVF, PFM and AVI forums and never had any issues.

Apart from the fees there's nothing wrong with Ebay though. Lots of choice and it's safer than buying private.

steve_1979 said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I believe av forums.com has a buy and sell section within it's main menu but you do have to become a member,I think Steve1979 used it recently to acquire a njc audio headphone amp and is very pleased.

I've bought and sold items quite a few times on the AVF, PFM and AVI forums and never had any issues.

Apart from the fees there's nothing wrong with Ebay though. Lots of choice and it's safer than buying private.

I would agree that eBay does have inbuilt buying security and normally means you can purchase from anywhere in the country if you are prepared to pay the shipping fees. The good thing about local sites like Gumtree is that you can normally go and collect thus seeing exactly what you are getting before you part with cash, this however severely cuts down on your choice of items or extends the waiting period for one to come up for sale.

All the methods mentioned have their plus points but none of the larger 'for sale' websites I have visited have the inbuilt security that eBay has.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts