Best option to sort of hide cables running between concrete floor and black metal sliding window base

BrendanC

May 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and now that everything is hooked up, I want to tidy up too.

I've got a run of cable going to some surround sound rear speakers, but I have a concrete floor, so no carpets or wooden floorboards to hide it behind/below.

So, the only way to do this is to run it across the least noticeable area, and then cover/secure the cable. The best place, I think, is along the base of my sliding windows, as that is black. I couldn't think of any alternative to black electrical tape and, as I thought, it's not looking great. See below, showing where the tape ends currently (yes, I know, the cable isn't high-end audiophile stuff, this is just for a fairly modest surround sound system).

IMG_20240607_115727390_HDR.jpg

It's just not very straight, and I'm pretty certain it's all going to come unstuck soon.

I'd be up for any suggestions that would create a nice, clean line, just keeping the length of cable covered without being too intrusive. It's only about 3 metre's worth.

Thanks
Brendan

Attachments

• IMG_20240607_115727390_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240607_115727390_HDR.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 4

Juzzie Wuzzie

Trunking. You can generally get it in various sizes although length is generally fixed at 2m. So, you need to buy two pieces and use the "lid" and some tape to hold them together. I've not tried painting them, but expect you can to match the floor.

Reactions: BrendanC

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Plus 1 for the trunking. Just revamped our AV system and as we’re redecorating the room it’s in, I’ve run it to the mid surrounds and rear surrounds, and painted it in the dead flat emulsion we’ve done the walls in. Blends in well, not obtrusive, so passes the wife’s sniff test.

Comes white or occasionally beige, even “wood” effects. Depending on your window frame finish, it’ll take a black in gloss, eggshell/satin, or matt.

Found that B&Q had the best range of self adhesive pvc trunking, tho for the mids I used a quarter circle hollow window trim from Wickes which wasn’t self adhesive, so just ran the cable through it, fixed it with 3m double sided tape, then painted it. The D Line brand 1/4 circle was too big for 2.5mm spkr cable but is easier to use with its “flap”.

Not certain if anyone does 3m lengths though. They’re usually 2.4m🤔

I’m sure you’ll find a profile which will look part of the black frame.

Just out of interest, how does the cable get to that point, and beyond to the speakers? If you don’t have carpet or wood, what do you have on the concrete?

Reactions: BrendanC

BrendanC

May 18, 2024
Visit site
Oh, and to answer the question about what's on the floor, it actually is just polished concrete. So, the cables are running from the surround system which is in a unit below the TV, along the border with the sliding windows then I just have the rear speakers below the sofa firing either side, gives a nice sense of space.

Reactions: Minkey1

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and to answer the question about what's on the floor, it actually is just polished concrete. So, the cables are running from the surround system which is in a unit below the TV, along the border with the sliding windows then I just have the rear speakers below the sofa firing either side, gives a nice sense of space.
Polished concrete? How trendy is that😉

Seems like the before/after the sliders isn’t a problem then, but assuming the room has some sort of skirting board, another option - where it is an issue - is to mount an appropriately shaped trunking to the top of skirting, and paint it all. I’ve done that this time with lamp, Hive cables. But I am obsessive about wires. I have wire OCD. I hate wires.

I aim to live long enough to see full wireless power, along with the ability to walk through a 230v force field 🥳

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I think there's a woman hiding behind the Minkey photo 🤔

Hope you're not on the proposed new pylon route from Norfolk down to Tilbury ⚡
I can assure you my wire OCD is entirely my own disorder and has zero to do with the distaff side.

I don’t know about the Norfolk to Tilbury thing but I’m guessing it’s not good.

Reactions: Gray

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Polished concrete? How trendy is that😉

Seems like the before/after the sliders isn’t a problem then, but assuming the room has some sort of skirting board, another option - where it is an issue - is to mount an appropriately shaped trunking to the top of skirting, and paint it all. I’ve done that this time with lamp, Hive cables. But I am obsessive about wires. I have wire OCD. I hate wires.

I aim to live long enough to see full wireless power, along with the ability to walk through a 230v force field 🥳
Got the deepest of sympathy for you.
My OCD ruins my life tbh.
Therapy and medication doesn't seem to help much.

Suffice to say I've ground tracking into my floor under the carpet for my speaker wires in my listening/bedroom and simply put a strip of hardboard over the top to as even knowing the little gits were naked under my feet drove me mad 😂

Reactions: Minkey1

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and now that everything is hooked up, I want to tidy up too.

I've got a run of cable going to some surround sound rear speakers, but I have a concrete floor, so no carpets or wooden floorboards to hide it behind/below.

So, the only way to do this is to run it across the least noticeable area, and then cover/secure the cable. The best place, I think, is along the base of my sliding windows, as that is black. I couldn't think of any alternative to black electrical tape and, as I thought, it's not looking great. See below, showing where the tape ends currently (yes, I know, the cable isn't high-end audiophile stuff, this is just for a fairly modest surround sound system).

View attachment 6831

It's just not very straight, and I'm pretty certain it's all going to come unstuck soon.

I'd be up for any suggestions that would create a nice, clean line, just keeping the length of cable covered without being too intrusive. It's only about 3 metre's worth.

Thanks
Brendan
Are these skirting boards in the photo? Perhaps you can pull these out a bit and tuck cables inside behind the skirting?

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Got the deepest of sympathy for you.
My OCD ruins my life tbh.
Therapy and medication doesn't seem to help much.

Suffice to say I've ground tracking into my floor under the carpet for my speaker wires in my listening/bedroom and simply put a strip of hardboard over the top to as even knowing the little gits were naked under my feet drove me mad 😂
…..there’s a section of spkr cable on the concrete floor across a doorway which I may now need to re-think. It’s taped flat, butted up to underlay either side, and covered with carpet.

And I can still feel it.

Talk about princesses and peas 🤦🏼‍♂️

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts