Best mid priced network streamer?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.

I´m looking for good midpriced streamer, it has to have tidal and coax. Pricerange 400-900 pounds. Right now i have pro-ject streambox ds net, but it has some irritation flaws, so i am looking for something better.

Experiences?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Many may disagree but how good a streamer is in my book is what it can do (file compatability) and then does it have a good inbuilt dac or are you better off using external dac.

You dont say your amp, but all things being equal, you could use a chromecast audio and its digital output or a high end streamer and its output, and if using the same res file both should sound the same if you use your amps dac.

If you intend using your amp dac, you need a functional streamer with an output, so it likely be cheaper than buying one with a great dac inbuilt.

I think its a little harder to fing co-ax out on audio only units, usually optical out

I'd look at this

http://www.whathifi.com/bluesound/node-2/review

insider9

muljao said:
Many may disagree but how good a streamer is in my book is what it can do (file compatability) and then does it have a good inbuilt dac or are you better off using external dac.

You dont say your amp, but all things being equal, you could use a chromecast audio and its digital output or  a high end streamer and its output, and if using the same res file both should sound the same if you use your amps dac.

If you intend using your amp dac, you need a functional streamer with an output, so it likely be cheaper than buying one with a great dac inbuilt.

I think its a little harder to fing co-ax out on audio only units, usually optical out

I'd look at this

That's why I asked about coax. Bluesound Node 2 only has coax in and no way to output digital audio.

insider9

There's a few products out there that can be connected to an external DAC that incorporate Tidal. Coax is not present on all but optical is.

Chromecast was already mentioned but from what I read if doesn't offer gapless playback with Tidal.

I'm surprised Muljao didn't suggest Teufel Raumfeld Connector 2. It has both Tidal and optical. There's also Sonos Connect that has a fabulous app with optical out and works fine with external DAC. Finally Auralic Aries Mini with both optical and coax. I've no experience of it.

If it was me I'd go with Bluesound Node 2 and use analogue connection. In fact I will be getting one soon anyway. It's the only one that not only does Tidal but MQA as well.

Otherwise it would be Sonos Connect which I got the other day second hand just to try and I'm mostly impressed with it.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
muljao said:

You dont say your amp, but all things being equal, you could use a chromecast audio and its digital output or  a high end streamer and its output, and if using the same res file both should sound the same if you use your amps dac.

I'd look at this

That's why I asked about coax. Bluesound Node 2 only has coax in and no way to output digital audio.

I read that wrong. According to review here the node 2 has coax out. I could be wrong.

I didn't recommend Raumfeld cos I always do :) , also it only has optical out and way below price range

insider9

muljao said:
insider9 said:
muljao said:

I'd look at this

I read that wrong. According to review here the node 2 has coax out. I could be wrong.

I didn't recommend Raumfeld cos I always do :) , also it only has optical out and way below price range
My apologies, it has both optical and coax out! Thanks Muljao.

I assumed you cannot output digital signal since MQA doesn't allow for fully decided signal to be passed on.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Pioneer n50a can be had for decent  money now but not too sure if it has tidal on board but coaxial and optical in/out...not too sure why coaxial is so important to you as their is very little to no Sq difference between the two.
I'm fairly sure coaxial is important if that's the input your amp has

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Ah very true.most companies use  optical over coaxial though.

I agree. It could be the amp is near a TV and the optical from telly in use. I often wonder is it really that difficult for amp companies to throw in a few of each digital inputs, it's easy to run out in days of Chromecasts, TV outs and laptops

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts