Best HDTV speakers for large reverberating room?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I could sure use advice from the acoustic experts here.

We sit halfway back in a large room and have difficulty understanding TV dialog.

The room is 15' x 30' with 16' ceiling, hardwood floors, no curtains.

The sofa is 13' from the 42" HDTV (using its internal speakers) and the room continues another 17' behind the sofa (as a dining room).

Achieving surround sound is not nearly as important as just achieving intelligible stereo.

Should I be thinking about two tower speakers? or left, right, and center speakers?

Or, should I be duplicating the center speaker back closer to our ears? (behind the sofa would be easier)

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rick

A

Anonymous

TV speakers are usually underpowered and will sound tiny in a large room if you don't want to buy separate speakers try changing the EQ settings to reduce bass and boost the voice frequencies.This will make the speakers sound worse but will help in understanding dialog. Even multimedia computer speakers are better than most TV inbuilt speakers.For sound quality consider buying separate speakers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
A room that size would benefit from a meaty amplifier/receiver and separate speakers - a good pair of stereo floorstanders would suffice, but a dedicated centre speaker would bring even more benefits. You could then having a couple of small standmounted rear speakers behind your sofa to add surround effects.

In such a large, uncarpeted/uncurtained room, you'll need to choose your kit carefully so it doesn't sound harsh.

What's your budget?

A

Anonymous

pound for pound the b & w 685 surround system beats all

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to all for the quick responses! Yes, we are willing to invest maybe $250-$500 in extra equipment and speakers to solve this. Redecorating the room is not an option so I'm trying to focus on improving the dialog foremost (esp needed when there are foreign accents); any surround sound would be a bonus.

Clare, you seem to prefer a dedicated center speaker over two larger floorstanders or towers. Should I be looking at a powered stereo sound bar?

In my simple way of thinking about the reverberation in this room I tend to think that moving the primary speakers closer to the listening sofa would lower the volume required and hence reduce the reverberation. Maybe I'm off base. But if not, should I think about a surrround sound option that would duplicate the center channel on the rear surround speakers? (Maybe there is no such animal.)

Thanks again! All your comments are most helpful!

Rick

A

Anonymous

Bumping this up with the hopes of getting some guidance on my followup question.

Should I be thinking about (a) two larger floorstanders or tower speakers?, (b) left, right, and center speakers?, (c) a powered stereo sound bar?, or (d) some type of surround sound solution?

Many thanks!

A

Anonymous

Ideally d), failing that b) otherwise a) - all of which will need an amp too (you don't say you have one)

Your budget may restrict you to c) - which is still an improvement but some advice needed from the community on use of soundbars in larger spaces. Anyone?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
stereo will (naturally) mean two speakers, far apart from the the TV will carry the sound. If you have a dedicated centre the dialogue will come from right under the TV, helping to draw you in to the picture. (PS when you say foreign accents, you mean like American?
emotion-5.gif
)

Luckily for you, audio visual is much cheaper in the US, but with a room that size, you need big speakers to fill it.

Do you use blu-ray or plan to use it at any time in the future, or are you happy with TV broadcasts and DVD. If the latter, you might get a good deal on a discontinued line amp that doesn't handle the new high definition audio formats (i.e. just handles dolby digital 5.1 and Prologic) or even a second-hand one, that's been cared for.

I'd be wary of a soundbar in an unusally shaped room. They depend on creating the illusion of surround using walls and ceilings to bounce sound off. Your room could confuse it!

Alternatively, to go new - try http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDG820-Audio-Video-Receiver/dp/B0015HPYDK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236702139&sr=8-11 but it's a bit underpowered for a room that size.

For speakers, sorry - not familiar with US stuff!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rogueelement! Yes, I'll need an amplifier if you are suggesting a surrround sound option that would duplicate the center channel on the rear surround speakers. Is that your suggestion? Maybe that is a common mode. I don't need the normal rear surround sounds closer to our ears.

It's also interesting that you think the powered sound bar will help with the reverberation. It's not at all clear to me (novice) how a larger speaker at the same location helps with this reverberation problem. Maybe a couple of words would help me understand.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Big Aura! Yes, it would be curious to me whether you find American accents a little tricky. Both my parents and we are big fans of British films but we need to be attentive.
emotion-1.gif

We are happy with TV broadcasts and DVD, so thanks for your tip.

Sounds like I should focus on a 3 speaker solution (L,R,and C). I can separate the L&R speakers to the sides of the HDTV but more separation would probably cause me to look at wireless solutions because the room is rather formal and wiring would be an issue.

Thanks again. Your thoughts are helpful.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
if you get an amp and three speakers, you can add a sub-woofer and two surround speakers when the bug bites you (and it will).

Best advice is try and listen to a few systems in a quiet area / demo room, and bring along a dvd you're familiar with, so you know if it sounds particularly good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts