Best Freeview TV Recorder 2018?

Strictly Stereo

Jan 29, 2018
Visit site
I need to source a Freeview recorder for my father-in-law. No fancy bells and whistles required. Just a simple interface which will all him to record and play back terrestrial TV. He will be using it with a Panasonic 32" TV with HDMI inputs and support for at least 1080i, possibly 1080p. He probably does not need a vast amount of storage. What's good?

Gray

I've bought / installed several Humax boxes for people over the years, mostly buying new.

I've also bought refurbished direct from them as they're almost literally as good as new and guaranteed. Have a look here: https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished.html

That 2000T looks like a bargain for £99, its 500GB HDD allows for more than enough recording - for a light user (125 hours of HD)

Although Humax are about as user-friendly as they come, I have found that some users do still find them a little involved.

(Maybe download some manuals first if you're going to be explaining the operation!)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
We’ve got a Humax youview one, it’s pretty decent although it does seem to become a little unresponsive every now and then unless it gets switched off completely and restarted occasionally - maybe once a month or so.

abacus

If you have CEX, Cash Convertors or similar shop in your area pop in, as they usually have a selection of traded in boxes for not much money. (I picked up my BT Youview box for £15 a couple of years ago)

Bill

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
This may be a step too far, but look out for the Panasonic DMR series of Freeview recorders and they are also Bluray/DVD players. Simple to combine with Panasonic TVs - I have two pairs on the go. I find them reliable and easy to use ( I'm in my 70s).

Mine are DMR-BWT720 (1TB) & DMR-BW780 (250 GB) machines, had them a few years, so used prices should be reasonable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts