Best for music & Movies? - an Arcam Movie Solo or A Marantz DV7001 + Onkyo Receiver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's bonus time in January & I'm looking to change my current system (TEAC Ref 500 + TEAC DV500 + 500 multi channel amp, Mission FS2AV 5.1 speakers) I'm looking to go to a one (or 2) box system but need to keep the speakers discreet. I've auditioned the Denon S302 - didn't like the sound with CD's, The BOSE 321 system - sounded great but no HDMI, I've tried to get a listen to the Sony DAV-IS10 but can't find a dealer that's got it available to listen to. I loved the Arcam Movie Solo, but am wondering if the Marantz / Onkyo combination would sound good with my Mission package? or should I splash on a newer speaker package? Alternatively should I sacrifice 5.1 & go for the Solo Movie 2.1 & by a better pair of stereo speakers? ---My head hurts...:)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Lucky you on the bonus front.

If you've got that money to play with and don't mind two-boxes plus speaker packages, you'll get a far better performance from your budget with separates.

Yes, the Arcam Movie Solo is fantastic (which is why we gave it an Award), but for £2000 you could buy the Marantz DV7001 DVD player, Onkyo '605 receiver and KEF KHT3005SE speaker package - and what a stunning home cinema package that would be....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Claire, I'll get along to a dealer & have a listen in January.
Have a very Merry Christmas & a splendidly high fidelity New Year.

G

ROB2009

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
I currently own a Denon S301 which is fine for movies, but doesn't really perform with music, hence I am in a similar situation considering the Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 as I onlyhave a small listening room and don't want the additional speakers. I do however, understand that £ for £, a 2 box set up will generally give better performance that a 1 box solution.

If I went for say the Onkyo / Marantz set up, but wanted to stay with a only a 2.1 set up, can the 5.1 Onkyo process movies in 2.1? and would it be as good with music in stereo as the Arcam??

Any advice greatly appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts