Best FM tuner ever made?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Imp

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
I have owned tuners from - Audiolab, Tag-mclaren, Magnum Dynalab, Arcam and Musical Fidelity and none of them come even close to the sublime sound of my current tuner, a Leak Troughline.

The Troughline was purchased on Ebay for £50 and serviced by One Thing Audio at a cost of £150, so for a total cost of £200 I have the best sounding tuner I have ever owned.

I recently did a listening test between my Audiolab T8000 (which I still own) a Magnum Dynalab (since sold) and the Troughline. The Leak had a far richer sound with much deeper base and sweeter treble than either of the other two. Both the Audiolab and Magnum Dynalab sounded quite thin and pale in comparison. I would not sell the Troughline whatever I was offered.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The best FM tuners I have owned were the Rega Radio (for 11 years) and a Naim NAT05 that I bought second-hand for £450, used for two years, then sold for £450. (Bargain!)

As for my 'favourite' FM tuner (not necessarily the best one), that was an old Sony ST-88 that I bought (very) second-hand for my first proper hi-fi system. I loved the quirky 1970s upright look and the wooden case and the illuminated tuning scale, signal strength meter etc. (It was also pretty good as a tuner once connected to a decent roof aerial.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Best Tuner - Naim NAT-01 / NAPST

Favorite Tuner - Leak Troughline, as it belonged to my father, and so I grew up with it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Favourite tuner is my mkII Cyrus Tuner, the one built in the same heavy metal chassis as the later One and Two amps and operated by remote. I've heard/owned several well-respected tuners by Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Technics, Akai, and even a strange one from the 70s badged as a Wien (who made both a matching amp and an 8-track player in the same Cyrus-style half-width chassis). But nothing I've heard compares to this. With a first-rate aerial and first-rate transmissions from the likes of Radio 3 and 4, you're 'there'.

Kudos though to Pioneer's advertising execs. Back in the late 80s (might have been early 90s), according to a WHF Supertest one of the best tuners money could buy was the then-current range-topper by Pioneer, though sadly I forget its model number. I remember Pioneer ran a very subtle full-page advert in WHF in the same issue. There was a studio/brochure shot of their Supertest-winning 5* tuner and a simple tagline that said something like, "One company makes the best tuners in the world. This is their best tuner." Subtle. Almost Carlsberg-like.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Best one I've yet heard through my system is a Yamaha T-2. Best imaging and depth/realism I have yet heard from a tuner.

Some say that these were on a par or even better than the much-hyped CT-7000.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Favourite tuner is my mkII Cyrus Tuner, the one built in the same heavy metal chassis as the later One and Two amps and operated by remote. I've heard/owned several well-respected tuners by Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Technics, Akai, and even a strange one from the 70s badged as a Wien (who made both a matching amp and an 8-track player in the same Cyrus-style half-width chassis). But nothing I've heard compares to this. With a first-rate aerial and first-rate transmissions from the likes of Radio 3 and 4, you're 'there'. Kudos though to Pioneer's advertising execs. Back in the late 80s (might have been early 90s), according to a WHF Supertest one of the best tuners money could buy was the then-current range-topper by Pioneer, though sadly I forget its model number. I remember Pioneer ran a very subtle full-page advert in WHF in the same issue. There was a studio/brochure shot of their Supertest-winning 5* tuner and a simple tagline that said something like, "One company makes the best tuners in the world. This is their best tuner." Subtle. Almost Carlsberg-like.

Probably the F-91 which was their TOTL model in the late 80s/early 90s. Gets a very good write-up in the Tuner Information Center.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts