Best FM tuner ever made?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Leak Troughline...Quad FM...yes, yes, yes they were and still are brilliant tuners, but their features leave alot to be desired, let alone their reliability. So, as an all-round product, what is the best tuner ever made?

I pose two possible answers:
Meridian 504 tuner, or
Pioneer TX-9800?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Those two not even in it!

Without going into the very dim and very distant, I'd go for either a Naim NAT 01 or the Audiolab 8000T. One I have long coveted, the other I use every day.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Those two not even in it!

Without going into the very dim and very distant, I'd go for either a Naim NAT 01 or the Audiolab 8000T. One I have long coveted, the other I use every day.

Great choices - however, I've heard off the fmtunerinfo website that the 8000T had computer reliability problems and the Naim NAT 01 is actually overhyped and overpriced...how's your 8000T been?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Ah well I include that under the umbrella of the Audiolab 8000T, but I never felt the TAG version was quite as good as the original

Fair enough.

Another that springs to mind, although I've never had the pleasure, is the Densen B-800.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:
how's your 8000T been?

Still working fine since you were (even more of) a nipper! Only repair has been the replacement of the backlight lamps for the display, and it still sounds amazing.

You shouldn't believe all you read on websites - my good friend Malcolm Steward has a Naim NAT 01, and it's still the best tuner I have ever heard, though admittedly through a full-house Naim flagship preamp and active six-pack system with DBLs.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mr_Orange:Fair enough.

Another that springs to mind, although I've never had the pleasure, is the Densen B-800.

How can it spring to mind if you've never heard it?

I will never claim my tuner is the best ever, but compared with the modern hybrid tuners the Marantz 2060ML easily outguns the sub-500 quid sector of the market. Sorry for keep banging on about my tuner - it really is striking. Although build quality and facilities are rubbish compared to newer efforts.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:Hughes123:
how's your 8000T been?

Still working fine since you were (even more of) a nipper! Only repair has been the replacement of the backlight lamps for the display, and it still sounds amazing.

You shouldn't believe all you read on websites - my good friend Malcolm Steward has a Naim NAT 01, and it's still the best tuner I have ever heard, though admittedly through a full-house Naim flagship preamp and active six-pack system with DBLs.

My TU260LII probably sounds quite good through that though.......

how's your 8000T been?

Last year I connected my Marantz through the Naim Nait 5I, and the RS6's sang like I'd never heard previously. Shame about the compatability of my CD player. . .

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
how's your 8000T been?

Malcolm is still a Naim'er then - used to read his columns in the old days of HiFi Review!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Mr_Orange:Fair enough.

How can it spring to mind if you've never heard it?

Fair point. I was just going on what I've read elsewhere, and Densen's reputation in general.

Have you heard it, Andrew?

A

Anonymous

What sort of price do the Naims fetch? I can get a Pioneer TX-9800 for £249.99 but that sounds a bit pricey if it isn't that good - perhaps the Audiolab will fit the bill. Oh, and this is for a JVC A-X400 and Mission E30 system, not my reference Arcam/Wharfey one...

TonyHall

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:What sort of price do the Naims fetch?
According to a recent 'worldly' hi-fi mag article...
"The NAT 01 in 2001 cost £1,945 new and now sells for £800 to £1,400 second-hand, depending on vintage."

A quick search shows that a 1985 (chrome bumper) model sold on Ebay recently for £500.

Cheers,
Tony

T

the record spot

£45 got me a mint 1978 Sansui TU-317 - lovely sound on it. Maybe not up to the Nait or Quad, but at less than £50 it shows speech based DAB s thing or two!

(Radio 5 Live excepted for the footy...!)

A

Anonymous

I'll agree with Andrew - the Naim Nat01 - a good quality station sounds better than a CD, been a while since i heard one though.

A

Anonymous

a.g.:I have just bought a Cyrus FM7 which I think is great, but I'm sure it's not the best.

I've got a Cyrus FM7 too. Agree with your sentiment. A wonderful, warm, natural sound. Had it a couple of years now & listen to it everyday. Utterly reliable
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

if anyone is interested I noticed a Naim NAT1 on ebayÿ

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250301900366

reserve not met at 243 at time of posting... not mine I hasten to add.

hope this doesn't contravene any policy, just though someone might be curious

A

Anonymous

I love my 8000T - with a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna of course (don't skimp).

TRENDING THREADS