Best DAC for my system help for short list please

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I would like to buy a DAC to go between my Sonos ZP90 and my Roksan Caspian M2 amp any advise or suggestions please before I go shopping. I am sort of between the Rega and the Audiolad Mdac.

Thanks for your help.

Lee

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Leehallam said:
I would like to buy a DAC to go between my Sonos ZP90 and my Roksan Caspian M2 amp any advise or suggestions please before I go shopping. I am sort of between the Rega and the Audiolad Mdac. Thanks for your help. Lee

I think the usual list in the price range 300 - 800 eur is the following

- Arcam rDAC (cheapest)

- DAC Magic Plus

- Audiolab MDAC (most expensive)

- Rega DAC

- M1 DAC from Musical Fidelity

Try to go and listen yourself at the different options before buying anything...

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I have been for a listen to the, Rdac, music fidelity m1 and the vdac and then the rega. The rega was the best for me hands down so the dealer kindly let me bring it home for the weekend so listening away now on my system at home even done a blind test with the wife and she can tell the differance. The one thing that is bugging me is I could not get a listen to the audiolab Mdac. So this is mt dilemma do I buy the rega I am pleased with or do I buy the audiolab blind based on the reviews and get the headphone output that I could quite fancy. Any advise or any dealers that have a Audiolad Mdac I could home demo.

Thanks for your help

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Leehallam said:
Can anybody who has auditioned both the Rega and the audiolab help with some advice or a comparison please. Thanks Lee

Not sure if you need high-resolution on USB...in that case forget about Rega as that's limited to 16/44

It is very difficult to get hands on the new M-DAC as it's out of stock almost everywhere. I think you should give the MDAC a try before deciding. You will get headphone stage and pre-amp included in the package

You didn't try the dac magic + ?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am about to start looking for a new dac, currently have a dacmagic which is run through an AV system and am very happy with it,and have got it down to the rega or audiolab which I am looking to demo in the next 6 weeks.

When you demo the dac's do you take your own computer or does it not make any difference, I don't think it would do but I'm not sure.

I am interested to see how you get on as we have the same amp, my experience of audiolab is lots of detail but little warmth and have very little experience of rega products but they seem very popular here.

Looking forward to your findings,

Good luck.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
Leehallam said:
Can anybody who has auditioned both the Rega and the audiolab help with some advice or a comparison please. Thanks Lee

Not sure if you need high-resolution on USB...in that case forget about Rega as that's limited to 16/44

If it's just for the ZP90 it won't matter, it only goes up to 16/44 (and isn't USB, obviously!).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
acalex said:
Leehallam said:

If it's just for the ZP90 it won't matter, it only goes up to 16/44 (and isn't USB, obviously!).

True, didn't realise OP mentioned in the first post! ;)

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want more 'warmth' then I'd also recommend audio gd. Only problem is that they're chinese and virtually impossible to audition. I read numerous reviews and was torn between rega and audio gd nfb2. An Australian guy called john darko is worth googling as he does some excellent, very detailed reviews of kit and rates audio gd very highly.

I'm very pleased with mine. Its fed from a squeezebox touch and the sound is excellent. Loads of detail but not clinical at all. Very full bodied too. I'm sorry but describing the sound of dacs is not always easy! One last point - it's built like the proverbial outhouse. Weighs a ton with serious power supply. Not the prettiest piece of kit either if aesthetics are high on your list.

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
I now have at home the cambrige dac magic plus, I have a audiolab 8200cd to try the dac on I know it is different to the Mdac but I am told the sound character is the same and I have also brought back the rega dac. I was very surprised how much kit the dealer let me borrow. So I am going to spend the next few hours playing.

Lee

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Leehallam said:
I now have at home the cambrige dac magic plus, I have a audiolab 8200cd to try the dac on I know it is different to the Mdac but I am told the sound character is the same and I have also brought back the rega dac. I was very surprised how much kit the dealer let me borrow. So I am going to spend the next few hours playing. Lee

Nice one! Let us know your findings...for now Rega is the one to beat, right?

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Testing finished

Decision made I went for the Rega dac was better for my ears natural warm sounding vs the the other 2 I am pleased I did so much testing. On the negative side I will now need to buy a USB to coaxial interface for the 24 bit stuff v llink for £100 sould do the trick. All good dacs but rega was the one for me.

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Lee

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Leehallam said:
Testing finished Decision made I went for the Rega dac was better for my ears natural warm sounding vs the the other 2 I am pleased I did so much testing. On the negative side I will now need to buy a USB to coaxial interface for the 24 bit stuff v llink for £100 sould do the trick. All good dacs but rega was the one for me. Thanks again for your advice and help. Lee

Great. You won't give the MDAC a try also?

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
My dealer could not get the Mdac for another 3weeks and I was happy with the Rega so my impatience kicked it I have bought it and it is playing away now.

Thanks Lee

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Leehallam said:
My dealer could not get the Mdac for another 3weeks and I was happy with the Rega so my impatience kicked it I have bought it and it is playing away now.

Thanks Lee

OK, well done. I am curios to see what this MDAC can do as it is almost impossible to find aroun here also (Belgium).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts