Best cradle for iPod - Are Arcam going to release a model with a remote???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Or are they intent on being a bunch of irritating pxxxxs and witholding the goodies for Solo owners. Your test in the July edition made it clear that the best dock, for Sound (and what else is an iPod really good for!???) is the Arcam iDock. So if I really want one with a remote and have NO intention of buying a Solo, then what do I do? Any ideas?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oddly enough, we have asked Arcam the same question....

It seems they plan an upgrade that'll support remotes/control systems from custom-install companies like Crestron, but no plans at the moment for a remote control that uses Apple commands (which is what many Pod docks use). Frustrating, we agree!

A

Anonymous

i know its a pain in the a?$e not having the renote option unless you're a solo owner, but the Arcam dock really is worth having. I have several docks stacked up in their boxes in the cupboard as a result of searching for the perfect sound and they all have remotes! Sods law!

A

Anonymous

Will probably wait until Christmas time to see what comes out and buy an Arcam. I'm only really interested in the sound quality anyway. What else matters after all? Hardly going to use a black and white, 4th gen for anything other than music.

Still think apple should release a high end iPod for hi-fi lovers.

A

Anonymous

thats an interesting point for discussion - an "mp3" player for audiophiles....how would it be different that normal mp3 players

-bigger hard drive to handle all the lossless files.

anything else ?

A

Anonymous

Mainly a much higher quality pre-amp section, the bit that converts the data into audio and brings it up to pre-amp or headphone levels. Which are close enough to each other to mean one and the same thing in hardware terms, obviously with the volumn adjustment bi-passable as at present when docked.

Just want the best line out quality possible.

A

Anonymous

Audiophile Ipod... what a dream! 150gb HD, Nano sized screen, Burr Brown dac, a decent amplifier, titanium case, digital output and some sennhieser headphones. Come on Apple it aint that difficult is it?!

A

Anonymous

You know what?

I'd buy one of them. And I think a lot of hi-fi nuts would too. Don't you?

Anything up to probably £400 for a really good portable (non-phone). Though eventually they'll all be iPhones. Miniaturisation being as progressive as it is, I can envisage a world of iPhones, where a music only iPod will cease to be relevant. Once they put enough storage in the iPhone.

But maybe there'd still be room for an audiophile edition.

A

Anonymous

They should also and a "direct recording" function so you link it direct to a phono stage, SACD or any other source.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
iPod-related Apple launch a week today, I believe - should be a new-gen nano and an iPhone-style iPod minus the phone functions (would that just make it an 'i'). Also another standard iPod, it's rumoured.

Needless to say, we'll keep you updated....

A

Anonymous

Now THAT's the video iPod I always wanted! Full screen, real functionality.

Sexytime.

A

Anonymous

(Reply to Will Harris)

"I'm only really interested in the sound quality anyway. What else
matters after all? Hardly going to use a black and white, 4th gen for
anything other than music. Still think apple should release a high end
iPod for hi-fi lovers."

Me too and look what I just found: imod for the ipod !

"iMod for 4th Generation iPods (monochrome
and color displays)

imod2.gif
We
take the analog output (line out) signal off of the Wolfson
DAC chip and send it directly to the internal 1/8" headphone
jack (converting it into a dedicated line-out jack) via
high-end Black Gate Non-Polarized NX-Hi-Q coupling capacitors.
This completely bypasses all the components listed above
that degrade the sound quality of the Wolfson DAC's line-output.

NOTES regarding the 4th Generation
iMod

The Red Wine Audio 4th Gen iMod converts
the 1/8" headphone jack into a dedicated line-out jack (constant
voltage output direct from the dac chip...no volume control),
so the headphone output is disabled. The iMod is intended
to be connected to either a high quality headphone amp w/
volume control or home stereo system, NOT directly to headphones
(unless they have a built-in volume attenuator in the headphone
cable).

While the stock audio line-out signal
from the dock connector is also disabled, all other dock
connector functionality remains in its stock form."(link: http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html)

Crazy, hey!? (--->There are some interesting posts about this upgrade on head-fi.)

Still no remote control, though...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts