Best combination with DynAudio DM 2/7

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have decided to purchase the Dynaudio DM 2/7 after heading down and testing both the 2/7 and KEF R100 many times.

Now I need an amplifier to match the speakers. I've heard from many that DynAudio speakers have always been difficult to drive. Therefore, I do not want to make a regretful decision and purchase the wrong amplifier with all the hard earned money.

The songs I listen to are mainly very mainstream soothing, Kenny G, instrumental or powerful female vocals. e.g Angels by Sarah McLachlan, You raise me up, Your Song by Julienne Taylor, Feeling Good by Michael Buble, Listen by Beyonce, etc.

Ive shortlisted to the following amps and can't seem to make a decision:

1) Yamaha A-S500 (2010 Winner)

2) Marantz PM6004 (2011 Winner)

3) Rega Brio-R

Hope someone with the experience of all 3 amps would be able to give some advice.

Thanks in advance !

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I had a PM6004 great sounding amp, however the Rega Brio-r simply blows it away, a bargain at £498!

The Brio would be very happy driving the Dynaudio

Okay, no experience of those amps you've mentioned but do know that Dyns really need an amp that isn't too warm or smooth, unless you like ultra smooth.

Depending on the Brio-Rs tonal quality it could be a good combo, but I have heard Dyns with Cyrus and it sounds pretty impressive. Similar tonal qualities, look at Rotel, and if you can pick-up on at the right price, Leema Pulse.

Try not to get too hung up on award winners. The ideal system is about correct matching rather than awards. I've had 4 star amps that sound as good as any award winners when combined with the right speakers and source.

A

Anonymous

I was thinking of biting the bullet and going for a Naim Nait 5i straight as I've heard DynAudio and Naim compliments each other rather well. I would also not have to find myself upgrading so soon. But that would also mean I would need to lower my budget for the CD player. Any thoughts?

nyckylim said:
I was thinking of biting the bullet and going for a Naim Nait 5i straight as I've heard DynAudio and Naim compliments each other rather well. I would also not have to find myself upgrading so soon. But that would also mean I would need to lower my budget for the CD player. Any thoughts?

Oh yes, that could be a stonking combo. I, earlier this year, heard the Naim Nait XS with Dyns Contour speakers and it was breathtaking. Based on that I would say the Nait 5i and Dyn DMs should be winner.

nyckylim said:
Hi guys,

I have decided to purchase the Dynaudio DM 2/7 after heading down and testing both the 2/7 and KEF R100 many times.

Now I need an amplifier to match the speakers. I've heard from many that DynAudio speakers have always been difficult to drive. Therefore, I do not want to make a regretful decision and purchase the wrong amplifier with all the hard earned money.

The songs I listen to are mainly very mainstream soothing, Kenny G, instrumental or powerful female vocals. e.g Angels by Sarah McLachlan, You raise me up, Your Song by Julienne Taylor, Feeling Good by Michael Buble, Listen by Beyonce, etc.

3) Rega Brio-R

Hope someone with the experience of all 3 amps would be able to give some advice.

Thanks in advance !

Hi nyckylim

Dynaudio's DM 2/7's have an impedance of 4 ohms however this load is relatively constant and therefore not too resistive. As long as you're not after constant disco like listening levels then an A-S500, PM6004, Brio-R and Nait 5i can be paired with DM 2/7's. However if your budget allows then the Nait 5i's overall quality of power will help the Nait 5i to grip, drive and energize DM 2/7 more effectively. The Naim's quality of power and its presentation also help the Nait 5i to form an excellent tonal match with DM 2/7's
smiley-smile.gif

Btw, what is your budget for a CD player with and without a Nait 5i please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nyckylim said:
Hi guys,

3) Rega Brio-R

Thanks in advance !

its not that the Dynaudios are hard to drive, it's just that they require an amplifier that can keep its composure when player at higher levels.

If you want to stick within your budget, I would suggest looking at the Pioneer A50, which uses Class D amplification. This is more stable with demanding speakers, will sound cleaner, and is more efficient than conventional Class A/B amplifiers, and will also run cooler too. It's worth checking out.

Speakers should always be chosen in conjunction with the amplifier. Whichever amplifier you used to choose the DM2/7's over the R100's should be high up on your audition list.

A

Anonymous

I cant thank you guys enough for all the prompt response. My intial budget was about SGD$1200 (~600 pounds) which I could have purchased the following:

1) Yamaha A-S500 & Marantz CD6004

2) Marantz PM6004 & Marantz CD6004

3) Rega Brio-R & Marantz CD6004

However, if i take the bait and go for the Naim Nait 5i, I would have to downgrade my CD player. In all your experience opinions, what options do you guys think is best? And whether does it justify for someone who just entered the hi-fi scene to spend so much on an amp (and whether or not the difference would be very significant). I understand that sound can be very subjective and different people might have different preferences.

However, my question would be, out of the 3 above mentioned options:

1) which would provide the most bang for the buck (regardless of total budget) and provide the nicest vocals (sound quality) for the kind of music that i listen to (mainly acoustic pop, bossa).

2) whether the Naim would be worth to increase my budget and go for it and sacrifice a little on the CD player?

3) Or would it be a wiser choice to start out with the lower end models and run in the speakers first until i find anything unsatisfying then change to the Naim ?

Once again, I thank all you guys for your kind help.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Tough one. I'd still recommend the Pioneer A50 or even the Rotel RA10 or RA11 over those listed. If I really had to pick from your list, the Brio-R would produce the 'nicest' sound.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I reckon you don't really need to skimp on the cd player, there are loads of ex demo bargains to be had if you look hard enough. Something like cambridge audio 340c should be cheap as chips and I think its a great cd player....alternatively a marantz cd5004. I think a better amp will make the biggest difference to your setup as you already know the Dyn's are relatively hard to drive. You can always add a dac to your cd player later and upgrade it....you can't really do it with an amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would probably go for one of the newer AV receivers at or around the £500 mark. Lots of power and facilities. They lack very little and seem great value for money, even if only used in a stereo system. Some measure very well, even compared to very pricey hifi amplifiers. Again, I dont mean to sound like you know who but I would certainly listen to one or two of them before making a choice.

regards

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

I just went to audition the Naim Nait 5i and I can say that it has fully won my heart. (Looks, branding, sound quality)

I am going for the Nait 5i + Dynaudio 2/7 option for sure.

However, I would now have to look into a CD player. Is there a huge difference between the Marantz 5004 vs the Marantz 6004?

Cheers

Nycky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts