Best CD player

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]Cyrus CD6s or Cambridge Audio 840C? - What do you reckon?[/quote]Id go for the Arcam CD73 (thats becos i have 1) ha as its a cracking cd player & WHAT HIFI loved it year after year, very highly recommended!! Not that thats really answered your question just thought id throw the idea in lol

A

Anonymous

Hi there

Didn't you just slate the 840c(or at least its DAC) in Gerrardasnails post???

A

Anonymous

[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]Cyrus CD6s or Cambridge Audio 840C? - What do you reckon?[/quote]
840C

A

Anonymous

Nope. I have heard the 640, 740 and 840. The 840 seems alot better than both the 740 and 640 (as you would expect) -

Apparently the 640 and 740 share the same DAC.

I wasn't slating any of the players, just saying that the DAC in the 840 is superior.

I haven't heard the cyrus, and would like an opinion on whether it beats the 840?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]
I wasn't slating any of the players, just saying that the DAC in the 840 is superior.

I haven't heard the cyrus, and would like an opinion on whether it beats the 840?
[/quote]

I would suggest that the Cyrus 6 isn't in the same league as the 840. The 840 beat the new Naim 5i CDP in another magazine's tech test recently. It was said that it shouldn't be anywhere below £1k. Much more detail, etc, etc. That's where I'd start my auditions!

A

Anonymous

Fair enough, just got confused by what you said, it appeared to me that you implied that the 740 & the 840 shared the same inferior DAC
QUOTE 'The 740C alreay has it and has the same (inferior) DAC to the 840'
But i see you've edited your post and i understand now!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]

[/quote]

I would suggest that the Cyrus 6 isn't in the same league as the 840. The 840 beat the new Naim 5i CDP in another magazine's tech test recently. It was said that it shouldn't be anywhere below £1k. Much more detail, etc, etc. That's where I'd start my auditions![/quote]

Thats sort of what I hoped. I am planning on buying the 840, but the Cyrus was another alternative... How about the next model up? 8x?

A

Anonymous

I've got a Cyrus CD6 in my bedroom system that I bought in response to a 5 star review. It's bobbins compared to something like a Creek Evo or, even better, a Creek Classic. In fact, most players under a grand can't hold a candle to Creek's offerings IMO!
If it has to be a choice between those two I'd go for the 840. It can't be any worse than the Cyrus!

A

Anonymous

You could always try the Cyrus 8 but I'd still go with the 840.

A

Anonymous

If you mean the cyrus8x you must be jokeing the 840 isnt in the same leauge, in fact the old cyrus 8 cdp would be a much more tempting pice of kit than any cambridge offering, just my view.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jimm"]If you mean the cyrus8x you must be jokeing the 840 isnt in the same leauge, in fact the old cyrus 8 cdp would be a much more tempting pice of kit than any cambridge offering, just my view.[/quote]

Is that statement from listening to both? Or from expectation/review?

The CD8 is a possibility... but the CA offers so much. The fact I can play my squeezebox through it, and also the DVD player.

A

Anonymous

I'd guarantee that the new 840 is causing Cyrus to sweat. The 8 is good but the 840 is very good.

T

the record spot

It depends on the tonal qualities the OP likes; slightly lean and analytical or a full midrange but - going by this month's review - a bit flabby in one or two other areas. I'm well impressed by the Cambridge offering; it's shaken up the big boys and rightly so - an extremely capable unit by all accounts.

Equally, at that budget, you have one or two other choices and not least the option of adding a PSX unit to the Cyrus kit which I'm told makes a bit of a difference too. Definately audition in other words and absolutely try to get a home demo at that.

T

the record spot

[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]Ok how about we throw a Primare CD21 nto the mix?[/quote]

Or the Eastern Electric Minimax......Roksan Caspian.....hell, there's more than just Cyrus and Cambridge at this level folks!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]It depends on the tonal qualities the OP likes; slightly lean and analytical or a full midrange but - going by this month's review - a bit flabby in one or two other areas. I'm well impressed by the Cambridge offering; it's shaken up the big boys and rightly so - an extremely capable unit by all accounts.

Equally, at that budget, you have one or two other choices and not least the option of adding a PSX unit to the Cyrus kit which I'm told makes a bit of a difference too. Definately audition in other words and absolutely try to get a home demo at that.[/quote]

Agree with most of your comment, but as soon s you say "going by review" - then...

I only really want comments by users. I don't really go by magazine reviews....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"][quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]Ok how about we throw a Primare CD21 nto the mix?[/quote]

Or the Eastern Electric Minimax......Roksan Caspian.....hell, there's more than just Cyrus and Cambridge at this level folks![/quote]

indeed. But getting hands on experience is also important...and certain brands are hard to come by.

T

the record spot

[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"][quote user="the record spot"]It depends on the tonal qualities the OP likes; slightly lean and analytical or a full midrange but - going by this month's review - a bit flabby in one or two other areas. I'm well impressed by the Cambridge offering; it's shaken up the big boys and rightly so - an extremely capable unit by all accounts.

Equally, at that budget, you have one or two other choices and not least the option of adding a PSX unit to the Cyrus kit which I'm told makes a bit of a difference too. Definately audition in other words and absolutely try to get a home demo at that.[/quote]

Agree with most of your comment, but as soon s you say "going by review" - then...

[/quote]

Well gee thanks you! LOL, so much for helping out......

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
2nd hand Cyrus cd 8 is better than the Cyrus 6s (cheaper too)

anyway, buying new around a grand "Rega Saturn" is hard to beat imo.

T

the record spot

[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"][quote user="the record spot"][quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"]Ok how about we throw a Primare CD21 nto the mix?[/quote]

Or the Eastern Electric Minimax......Roksan Caspian.....hell, there's more than just Cyrus and Cambridge at this level folks![/quote]

indeed. But getting hands on experience is also important...and certain brands are hard to come by.[/quote]

Hands on experience? For what how it sounds? To what end? It only really counts if someone's got your system and shares you listening preferences; everything else is a pencilled sketch until you sit down with the hardware yourself. Hell, you haven't even mentioned what sound you like and given the two players are tonally different anyway, that might be a good indicator.

I'll buy that some brands are trickier to come by, the Minimax for instance, but hi-fi's in danger of being a homogenised mess, with people only ever thinking about four brands, or whatever. they're good products (the Cambridge and the cyrus) but you'd think nothing else was out there if Sevenoaks didn't sell it. Tell you what, I'll make it easier, throw in Marantz's SA7001 CD/SACD player - £600. You can pick it up in many places and it's a stormer.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

If the apollo is anything to go by then your probably right Thaiman.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

I am surprised you like the Rega. A lot of detail but reserved and laid back, very hifi. I guess if partnered with care and more punchy/forward amplification it'll make a good front end but for rock etc it would'nt be my choice. Cyrus 8 is a nice player too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"][quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"][quote user="the record spot"]It depends on the tonal qualities the OP likes; slightly lean and analytical or a full midrange but - going by this month's review - a bit flabby in one or two other areas. I'm well impressed by the Cambridge offering; it's shaken up the big boys and rightly so - an extremely capable unit by all accounts.

[/quote]

Well gee thanks you! LOL, so much for helping out......[/quote]

ah, sorry for the tone. I appreaciate the help. But I really just want other peoples hands on opinions, especially having lived with a player, not magazine reviews..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="InvisibleGoatMan"][
But I really just want other peoples hands on opinions, especially having lived with a player, not magazine reviews..[/quote]

Because obviously spending hours with the products over their typical multi-year lifecycle; using them in a wide range of set-ups; hearing them against most main rivals; often having extended time with them in our own home systems....none of this counts?
emotion-3.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts