Best Buy to Drop HD-DVD (USA)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#012108

Things are not looking good for HD-DVD, folks. Based on the reports we're getting from sources at the studios and in the retail industry, this format war is all but over. Frankly, we'd be surprised if HD-DVD still a viable commercial home video format much past the end of the year.

Word is that Best Buy has already decided not only to heavily favor Blu-ray in their stores, but they're actually planning the phase out of HD-DVD by the end of the 2nd quarter of 2008, so they can focus entirely on selling Blu-ray to their customers in the 2008 holiday season with a clear message. These sales you're seeing on HD-DVD hardware are - from the retailer's perspective - about clearing them off the shelves. Don't look for them to restocked. The exact timing of this will depend on sales, and HD-DVD software may be stocked for a while longer to service those customers who have already purchased players. But despite the retailer's public statements, which help Toshiba save face, privately they know which way the wind is blowing.

A

Anonymous

You're 100% right that a boost from retailers for Hi-Def would be a good thing.

I was talking to a friend about this stuff and he came out some really negative comments about hi-def software. He works in logistics/distribution for one of the main UK high street music/video retailers (JIT delivery and all that sort of stuff) and said they were discussing pulling BD and HD-DVD from their small/mid sized stores as the demand wasn't there and they could better use the floorspace for console games.

That doesn't affect most 'enthusiasts' who order their discs online (or for HD-DVD from the US) but wouldn't help visibility or new formats becoming mainstream.

I think the format will get a shot in the arm when some of the 'favourites' start being released in high-def - Star Wars, Lord of the Rings etc..

A

Anonymous

Don't get me wrong, I think the Tosh players are an absolute steal for what you're getting. For anyone who's just bought a new TV and wants to replace their old DVD player with decent upscaler I'd happily recommend the EP30 above any other machine right now.

It's the mainstream success of the HD-DVD/BD software that's a tougher one to call (and I don't mean which wins, I mean whether either win).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="rbrierle"]
I'd happily recommend the EP30 above any other machine right now.

[/quote]

What's the main differences between EP30 and EP35? Is it just the sound? If I'm on a standard receiver/amp with no HDMI might I be best off just to save money and go for the EP30?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="dirtyleeds"]
If I'm on a standard receiver/amp with no HDMI might I be best off just to save money and go for the EP30?

[/quote]

Actually quite the opposite! The advantage of the EP35 is that you can connect its 5.1 analogue out to your amps 5.1 analogue in, so no need for a new amp to get TrueHD etc. (if your amp only has optical in, get the EP30). The question is, what will you do when you get a Blu-ray player?

I was toying with the idea of just getting the EP30 as a good up-scaler, but think I'll get the EP35 for the extra connectivity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts