Reliable second-hand DVD player recommendations

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
After the ignominious demise of my second, cheapish Sony DVD player I'm going to give up on the budget end of the market. I don't want/need a Blu-ray player so I thought of going second-hand. But I'm out of touch with the market (my original Tosh from the 90s lasted ages) so I thought it worth throwing open to the What HiFi hive mind.

I would like a machine with the following features:

- solid build

- reliable

- HDMI out

- display

- upscaling to HD (but no need to go further)

I definitely do not need wireless, apps or anything similar. I don't even need surround-sound, as I don't find it adds much. Basically, I'm after a good quality disc-spinner. If it is simple to use and serves as a good CD player, so much the better. It will be connected to a Marantz 1504.

Any models with a good reputation you can recommend?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
lecson said:
After the ignominious demise of my second, cheapish Sony DVD player I'm going to give up on the budget end of the market. I don't want/need a Blu-ray player so I thought of going second-hand. But I'm out of touch with the market (my original Tosh from the 90s lasted ages) so I thought it worth throwing open to the What HiFi hive mind.

I would like a machine with the following features:

- solid build

- reliable

- HDMI out

- display

- upscaling to HD (but no need to go further)

I definitely do not need wireless, apps or anything similar. I don't even need surround-sound, as I don't find it adds much. Basically, I'm after a good quality disc-spinner. If it is simple to use and serves as a good CD player, so much the better. It will be connected to a Marantz 1504.

Any models with a good reputation you can recommend?

My 22 yr old daughter will not part with the
Samsung DVD-HD870
Stuff says : http://www.stuff.tv/samsung/dvd-hd870/review

The Telegraph also likes it : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/3354474/Best-buy-Samsung-DVD-HD870.html

It can also be bought for £20.00 here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/252515386783?clk_rvr_id=1084297977958&item=252515386783&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508&rmvSB=true

Great picture.
Samsung DVD-HD870

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the plasticky end of the market, having had two go wrong. I'm looking for more of an old-school player from Denon, Pioneer, Marantz. Something which will last a few years.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Three weeks ago I sent a Denon multiregion player with a non working tray / drive / reader unit (the drawer wouldn't open) to the Great Currys in the Sky.
You could have had it for the cost of postage from the US and fitted a replacement drive unit off Flea bay.
Sorry.
BUT the Denon was a great DVDP in its day. Have a good look on Fleabay UK.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Lecson, you don't say how much money you are prepared to spend.

If I were him I'd have a trawl round the local second hand shops and eBay. Shouldn't need to pay more than 20 quid for a used DVD player. Even "high end" brands like Denon should be as cheap as chips these days.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I should have said that my budget is up to £100 as a first pass but interested in what else is out there. If there is a specific model Oppo, for instance, I'd be interested to hear. As I say, I've been out of the DVD loop so hadn't realised Oppo were available in the UK until I started looking.

I'm not after cheap as chips (although I have nothing against chips). I fancied buying something more substantial which might continue to work for a few years. I'm not keen on the comody products that get churned over whenever a new video format comes over the horizon (which seems to be every other week).

Something pleasant to use as a CD player as well, would be good, ie not too plasticky or obscure to use. I've had a look around at Denon and Pioneer but not sure which models to aim for. I suppose Marantz would be sensible to go with the AVR (which is used as a stereo preamp).

I realise I'm kinda goiing against the grain here in the AV section :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Point is, not many people actually want DVD only players these days. Those left in shops cost as little as $30 new, and yes, those are at the plastic-fantastic end of the scale, but no-one is making high end DVD players any more, AFAIK anyway.
Most people selling (or trying to sell) used DVDPs come up against these facts, so prices are as cheap as chips.
And please note, the OP said DVD not BluRay.

Panasonic and Sony make excellent blu ray players. If you're looking for superior build, you'll have to look for Oppo, Denon and Marantz if you can find any used (I couldn't find any when I briefly checked) within your budget.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions so far. On further reading around, Arcam seem to fit the bill; solidly made, good reputation and the later players have HDMI as well as composite video out (I have an older projector I sometimes use). They seem to have a good reputation for CD use too.

Has anyone got good or bad experience with any of these?

Sorry, no specific model yet. They seem to have made a ton of the things and I haven't got a handle on which does what yet.

D

Deleted member 2457

lecson said:
Thanks for suggestions so far. On further reading around, Arcam seem to fit the bill; solidly made, good reputation and the later players have HDMI as well as composite video out (I have an older projector I sometimes use). They seem to have a good reputation for CD use too.

Has anyone got good or bad experience with any of these?

Sorry, no specific model yet. They seem to have made a ton of the things and I haven't got a handle on which does what yet.
Arcam players are dodgy according to users. If you do decide tho I know of a deal for £300 over budget tho for the Arcam 300 Blu Ray player.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
A postscript to this threqad in case anyone is on a similar journey.

After considerable stalking around to determine which older machines have HDMI out (someone should do a comprehensive list), I finally settled on the Marantz DVD7600

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/sorgenti/lettori/marantz-dv7600/marantz-7600.htm

It fulfills my 'old school' criteria of being robust, solidly made and it has a comprehensive display (which can be dimmed or switched off). They're available on eBay for £150 or less (depending how patient you are) and it feels much better than the plastic junk available in PC World for the same price. (One salesman informed me that my previous Sony had done well to last 18 months!)

Handset is good, operation is reasonabbly quick (unlike some Blu-Ray players) and it works very well as a CD player.

Sorted :)

Thanks for all the input on here. (My post on AV Forums didn't gather a single reply!)

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Verdana}

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Verdana}

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts