hi res audio

tonyedge

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if we are ever going to have one standard for hi res! I've heard some of my familiar music in he res, and it sounds amazing, more detail etc. Thing is, one of my favourite artists has blu Ray audio, with several versions of the same album (5.1 Dolby, then 24 bit stereo. Even a quad mix!) Others artists have released flac, etc etc. Pure audio is another, and I've seen other types. How many times do I have to replace my CD collection? I've already been through format wars, vhs, betamax, hd DVD, blu Ray, mini disc, omg !!!!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You don't have to replace your CD collection. CD offers all the quality that is possible for a human being to hear.

Music has always been reissued on various formats, with special releases offering extra tracks, live editions and remastered recordings. It's not so much about quality as getting you to buy the same music all over again.

High resolution is just the latest format and buzzword to do just that, buy all over again. It offers nothing over CD quality and any differences that you hear will be down to a different master.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Overdose has perfectly dealt with this issue. If you buy HD because you like the particular master AND it's not available as a cd then fine. But there is no aural reason for you to 'update' your cds.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Unless you want the surround mix, in which case redbook CD won't cut it.

Putting aside the issue of nquist sampling theorem meaning that CD resolution should be sufficient for what the human ear can hear, if the files are available as digital files, all it takes is the right software to decode it, so format becomes less of an issue. Even if one uses iTunes and you want to listen to FLAC files, it is easy enough to convert it to Apple lossless.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts