best budget (up to 500 quid) amplifier to drive my mission 734 speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
ive heard it with several speakers from vardus 200, sony ss-F6000, jamo 506, br5 ,jbl e80.its powerfull but a bit reedy on the top and mids,i certainly wouldnt buy it.the receiver rx-397 sounds equally good.(or bad depending on the point of view)

matthewpiano

the record spot:one off:

im off to listen to the yamaha again today paired with triangle cometes
heard it a bit yesterday and thought it smooth musical and well balanced as you say but not safe though that might be the cometes which are lively speakers

treble was excellent especially bearing in mind the cometes can be a hard listen with too strong treble when matched with the wrong amp

however given what the op likes plus his speakers he might be better off with a livelier amp like the roksan still best to audition though

Ooo! Any chance you might be able to do a bit of a write-up in a separate thread on your thoughts re: the Yamaha maybe? I'd be interested to hear another real world opinion outwith a magazine's recommendation. WHFS&V, HFW and HFC all rate it as at least a solid four or five star/globe amp and obviously HFC really shout about it's capabilities - as does matthewpiano (wish I could afford yours mate, I'd be over it at the BIN like a rash!). Would be interested in your thoughts as you've a good taste in kit from what I glean off your posts. Cheers.

I've taken it off because I've decided to hang on to it for a while...

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I am not sure of the price of the cambridge 750A but that sounds very good. The cheaper 650A has received good reviews as has the marantz 6003. - all at richer Sounds - otherwise a Rega Brio 3 makes very nice sounds too. None of these would disappoint.

cheers tonky

matthewpiano

I take it you mean the 740A?

I've had two (!) so I know it very well. Its an excellent amp in many ways. Very detailed and very good at the hi-fi things like soundstaging. You just need to be careful with partnering as with the wrong speakers it can sound a bit 'white' and clinical.

I've not heard the new 650A, but I had a 640A and in some ways I prefer its slightly warmer sound to the 740A. The 650A is certainly nicely finished so well worth a look.

The Marantz 6003 is superb and, again, I'd have that over a 740A.

A

Anonymous

Might be worth having a look at either the NAD 326BEE with your missions or the C355BEE.

A

Anonymous

thanks folks - lots of amps to read about and audition - appreciated. Russell

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts