best budget (up to 500 quid) amplifier to drive my mission 734 speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there - I am looking for the best ampilfier in my budget to drive my mission 734 speakers?

The details in the back of the speakers are:

model: 734

enclosure type: 3 way reflex

recommended amplifier -

output power 25-125 w/ch

normal impedance 8 ohms

serial number: 340013817

I use technics 1200 turntables and a mixer with the speakers and i will also use a cd player that should be balanced with the system (also looking for) I also would like to play MP3s through the system.

Any ideas for the budget of the best amp for the system? preferred sounds I play are electronic beats and most genres of dance music?

looking to achieve the best sound for the budget and speakers...

kind regards,

Russell

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Russell.

Just wanted to know if you would consider second hand?

I recently got my Arcam A85 amp (Around £800/900 in its day) for £285. perfect working and cosmetic order. If you're prepared to look for used/ex-demo/end of line stuff, your money will go a lot further.

EDIT: There's an Arcam A90 for £350 buy it now on eBay right now.

T

the record spot

You won't be short of bass with the 734s and I think Arcam gear works well with Mission (used an Alpha 5 with the 733i speakers years ago). Alternatively, check out the new Yamaha AS700 - very neutral amp, amp of the year up to £1k in another mag out recently and 90wpc. Should do the honours nicely if you like what it does with your speakers and the other gear too of course.

See also Exposure 2010s for a very dynamic amp and The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh have the 3010s for about £750 (open boxed, in excellent nick and down from the usual £1000 or so). That might tick a few boxes as well.

If you went down the used kit route, there's any amount of kit out there, but some used Rotel pre/powers could make a good combination too and for a good price too.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
If you went secondhand and spent your full budget you'd be able to get a very nice Jap super amp like a Sansui AU919 and never need to buy another amp.

T

the record spot

Absolutely, finding one is the only problem. There is a seller in the US who services these and does a good job by the looks of it. Had a 719 recently for £260, but add another £100 for shipping on top. Great range though and very musical.

A

Anonymous

Thanks folks for your advice - I would consider buying second hand but I was thinking of buying new. I used to run the speakers with an Arcam Alpha something or other (7 ithink) but sadly it took a crash in a house move so is no more.. was thinking perhaps of new as never too sure (rightly or wrongly) about second hand audio...?

T

the record spot

You can still obtain a warranty going down the secondhand route (Billy Vee in London - for example - offers a year warranty on almost all of the used kit he sells, others will give you three or six months) so you have protection if you see something that appeals. Going down the Ebay route is riskier to some degree, but if you get something using a But It Now, you have full protection of the law behind you (either Consumer rights, or Sale of Goods Act, one of the two) if the thing should fail.

And there is always, as you say, new and there's plenty out there right now that's worth chasing up to the £500 mark.

A

Anonymous

I have been searching about for some info on the amps you kind folk have suggested. I couldn't find a what hifi review on the arcam a90 (do you know where one is I could take a look at?) but found other reviews all good mostly except for one reviewer who said it was not comfortable with 'high energetic fast electric music' .... http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/integrated-amplifiers/arcam/a90/PRD_299819_2717crx.aspx this is concrening to me and i do recall my arcam alpha amp which I used with my 734s and which did indeed serve me well on the whole could sometimes be a touch restrained when actually sometimes I wanted a little more oomphf! I also do appreciate the Arcam A90 is available for 325 now second hand whereas it was an 850pound amp when new so the quality may well be better than my old arcam alpha which i do not recall being 850gbp.

I like very much the idea of the sanui 919 but don't seem to be able to find one for purchase - this seems like a very fine quality retro piece of kit and I am into that - particularly if the sound is great..Would it be likely to still deliver a great sound after all these years?? Does anyone know where one of these is for sale?

the yamaha a-s700 seems to be a likely candidate. Which other magazine said it was amp of the year? I see it gets 4 stars in what hifi ?? I would like to read the review in which it got amp of the year.

The other option I was toying with - though out of my budget really is the roksan kandy k2 amp though this is pretty much double my budget and at 125w per channel...would this be too much for my speakers to handle?

I am looking for good synergy really....

further thoughts??

A

Anonymous

Musical Fidelity A3 Dual Mono Integrated Amplifier mint ... ebay item 380169041330 ... £370 on a buy it now

-----------------

A

Anonymous

in an attempt to take me mind off things i went down to the locat hifi store and gave the yamaha a listen with some triangle then canton speakers

rs is right this is an excellent amp big soundstage dynamic range etc not much point looking secondhand if you can find something like this new

worked well with the triangles which can be bright fuller sound with the cantons which are neutral but still plenty of detail well worth the effort and hard to beat at the current price

A

Anonymous

one off:

in an attempt to take me mind off things i went down to the locat hifi store and gave the yamaha a listen with some triangle then canton speakers

rs is right this is an excellent amp big soundstage dynamic range etc not much point looking secondhand if you can find something like this new

worked well with the triangles which can be bright fuller sound with the cantons which are neutral but still plenty of detail well worth the effort and hard to beat at the current price

have you listened to any other amps aswell, or only to th the Yamaha?

bezza79

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
I too have a pair of technic 1200's and love my dance music, all genres but mainly drum and bass. Although due to a lack of room until we move they are resigned to the top of the wardrobe!!

I would audition both the Roksan and Rotel RA-1520, I found the Rotel to be bassier and more enjoyable to me, I bought the Rotel and B&W 683's. I tried both amp's with 684's and MA RS6's also but the alround sound of the Rotel with the 683's were superb will all types of music but excelled with Dance.

I managed to talk the Rotel down to £600 brand new.

A

Anonymous

you know what your right dim span for dance music its not the amp you want hadnt read that bit

A

Anonymous

Yamaha have always made good gear ... so good luck and keep us informed!

A

Anonymous

thanks all - I feel like this is progressing well. I think it's time I went out and listened to the roksan kandy k2 and Rotel RA-1520 to compare and contrast - both have stunning reviews and it seems both could handle the dance music well. My quandry now is the power out put(w) the roksan kandy k2 has 125w per channel (too much for my speakers?) with one set of speaker connections only and the rotel has 60w output a switching for a second set of speakers - which amp of the two would work best with my speakers?

will the rotel amp be under powered at 60w per channel to drive the 734 speakers?

will the roksan kandy k2 amp be too strong at 125w per channel for the speakers i have?

My speakers are a pair of Mission 734

specs:

he details in the back of the speakers are:

model: 734

enclosure type: 3 way reflex

recommended amplifier -

output power 25-125 w/ch

normal impedance 8 ohms

serial number: 340013817

thanks for all the info and advice so far.

T

the record spot

Hi Fi Choice gave the Yamaha amp of the year; it's in their current issue. I'd shortlist and see if you can hear it somewhere if that's practical. It's apparently very neutral, so it'll be down to your speakers and CDP to add the character.

matthewpiano

The Yamaha is well worth a listen. Its a well balanced amp with plenty of effortless power. It can occasionally sound slightly safe but overall I'd say it was a very fine amp for the money. An audition will tell you (the OP) whether it is the right amp for you or not.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The Yamaha is well worth a listen. Its a well balanced amp with plenty of effortless power. It can occasionally sound slightly safe but overall I'd say it was a very fine amp for the money. An audition will tell you (the OP) whether it is the right amp for you or not.matthewpiano im off to listen to the yamaha again today paired with triangle cometes

heard it a bit yesterday and thought it smooth musical and well balanced as you say but not safe though that might be the cometes which are lively speakers

treble was excellent especially bearing in mind the cometes can be a hard listen with too strong treble when matched with the wrong amp

however given what the op likes plus his speakers he might be better off with a livelier amp like the roksan still best to audition though

T

the record spot

one off:

im off to listen to the yamaha again today paired with triangle cometes
heard it a bit yesterday and thought it smooth musical and well balanced as you say but not safe though that might be the cometes which are lively speakers

treble was excellent especially bearing in mind the cometes can be a hard listen with too strong treble when matched with the wrong amp

however given what the op likes plus his speakers he might be better off with a livelier amp like the roksan still best to audition though

Ooo! Any chance you might be able to do a bit of a write-up in a separate thread on your thoughts re: the Yamaha maybe? I'd be interested to hear another real world opinion outwith a magazine's recommendation. WHFS&V, HFW and HFC all rate it as at least a solid four or five star/globe amp and obviously HFC really shout about it's capabilities - as does matthewpiano (wish I could afford yours mate, I'd be over it at the BIN like a rash!). Would be interested in your thoughts as you've a good taste in kit from what I glean off your posts. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts