best bassy speakers

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm taking the mickey. You ask such a general open question and give no details, so that is the best answer for you.

OK, I found that these

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/800-Diamond.html

have excellent bass.

Or how about you tell us your budget and what amp you plan to pair them with so that people can suggest something suitable. (you weren't expecting other forum members to find all of your threads so far and deduce your thoughts from them, were you?).

Geo_scars

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I'm looking for a good set up. I know hardly anything about amps speakers CD changers mini disc etc so my budget isn't here as I have no idea how much a set up will cost that isn't ****. The reason for such an open question is cause I don't know sub categories for each part of equipment I'd need so far I'm starting from stracth and need the advice of someone who knows a good system setup and can tell me how much to spend

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Huge sealed boxes with very large bass cone area through multiple 12" or 15" cones or single 18" to 30" cones. Likely to be 3 way or 4 or 5 way. Bass cones must be good quality: light weight but rigid. Variable density cones are good too.

Needs to be combined with good to great midrange and treble drivers. It's no good if the bass is great if the midrange and treble doesn't inspire you to listen to them.

Solid state amplification for the bass tends to be better than valved. The reverse applies to the midrange. A source with good bass is needed too - which can be a weak point of some vinyl sources. Digital sources should be fine for bass.

And the room and speaker positioning within the room should avoid excessive echoes for cleanest bass.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Geo_scars said:
To be honest I'm looking for a good set up. I know hardly anything about amps speakers CD changers mini disc etc so my budget isn't here as I have no idea how much a set up will cost that isn't ****. The reason for such an open question is cause I don't know sub categories for each part of equipment I'd need so far I'm starting from scratch and need the advice of someone who knows a good system setup and can tell me how much to spend

You need to set the spending limit, as you can spend the same on hifi, as cars, or even a house.

To answer your initial question - Dynaudio and Kef R Series.......though you need to consider the amp at the same time, as the partnership between the two is crucial.

T

the record spot

You can get excellent bass from small speakers, not just larger ones. You need to have a budget in mind, whether you want to buy just new or would consider secondhand, what your room is like if it can accommodate bigger speakers, what you need your stereo to do, play LPs, CDs, stream radio / movies / Spotify, if you have any Apple gear so you might want to use Airplay, or DLNA instead....etc, etc, etc!

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Pmc speakers, with their transmission line design, best bass i ever heard from a smaller/normal sized speaker, including floorstanders. Never heard really big expensive floorstanders though, but the bass created by the transmission line of pmc speakers is very punchy, similar to a sub. Maybe not as deep as a seperate sub, but certainly very punchy and dynamic.

and pmc makes transmission line standmount speakers aswell as floorstanders

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
This........

iBoom-Nuke.jpg

The Behringer iNuke Boom.

The biggest, baddest docking system in the world, problem solved.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The best speakers I have heard, at anything close to sensible money, with the ability to deliver 'club' like power and bass are the Mackie HR824s.

Recent price rises have pushed then up to about £1400 but they remain outstanding value. The in room response will get down below 40hz but it is their power and punch in the two octaves above this that is really impressive.

For me the HR824s are too much for use at home, the smaller, cheaper HR624s will do me fine, but if you really want bass that can be heard from space, the HR824s are the way to go.

Bear in mind these are active speakers with 150 + 100 watts of power onboard so you could drive them from a computer soundcard or even a docked iPod.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I suspect most of these suggestions are going to be a little wide of the mark given that one of the OP's other threads was wanting (& I paraphrase) an "everything louder than everything else" system for an overall budget of £100-200.

OP, can I suggest that you stop opening numerous threads & just concentrate on one? Just add posts to the others diverting to that one.

Then perhaps we can get to the bottom of exactly what it is you want & how much you're prepared to spend to achieve it.

You've previously said you want it louder than normal domestic. For what purpose, occasional parties, constant high volume, filling a large space?

You seem pre-occupied with bass & subs. Why? That says to me that you're not really interested in hifi but rather something akin to the thump thump thump of the passing Corsa with an exhaust the diameter of a dustbin. Not a problem if that is what you want but you won't get it from hifi. You may need to look more towards a small DJ type setup.

What are you proposing to use as a souce? CD, iPod, PC, other?

Now please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be offensive nor sniffy about your requirements but if you're to receive meaningful responses, the forum really needs to understand your requirements.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For a budget of £100 to £200, the best bassy speakers would be something like Goodmans Magisters. Combined with a decent classic amp, such as an A&R A60 and he'd have decent bass, with good enough midrange and treble and the ability to play very loud when he wanted. Such a set-up would be frimly in hi-fi territory too. Not the best sounding system ever, but the sort of system that would leave you thinking "Why pay more when you get this sort of sound for so little?"

Geo_scars

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
My budget now after considering it all is 100 to 300 for speaker & amp. Id like mainly to play music from my phone but with the chance of the odd CD. The room is a medium sized bed room. The reason I like bass is due to the fact I've been in car systems and they deliver a lot for what they are as I said I do not consider my self a HiFi completest so I'm opening it up for you guys: I've heard the denon range is good but I'll keep researching

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
As above, a powered/active 2.1 set was going to be my suggestion too based on what you've said you want & the budget. Although connectivity on that Fame set may be a bit of a pain.

Geo_scars

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I would have no idea how yo connect these to something to enbable me to play music I've had old PC 2.1s and now I have a old 5.1 buy I'm not looking into more like Upgradeable components as to just buying a new set when I get bored

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Geo_scars said:
Yeah I would have no idea how yo connect these to something to enbable me to play music I've had old PC 2.1s and now I have a old 5.1 buy I'm not looking into more like Upgradeable components as to just buying a new set when I get bored

Use the Behringer UCA 202 usb dac (£25) as an interface.

Computer usb out to UCA 202, dac to subwoofer using phono to phono leads and phono/jack adaptors.

Sub to main speakers using the XLR leads supplied.

Set up as follows,

Connect everything as described above, make sure that the level controls on all three speakers are set to minimum.

Play some music and set the volume on your software player to maximum, increase the level on left and right speakers to the loudest you would normally use, leave the controls at that level.

Increase the volume on the sub to the desired level, make sure that both crossover controls are set to about 80hz, Adjust the phase switch for maximum bass in your setup and then leave everything as set.

Leave the speaker controls as they are, with all adjustments flat and simply use the volume control on your software player for normal use.

When you get a better idea of how it is sounding feel free to try adjusting the various bass cut and 'acoustic space' controls on the left and right speakers and the crossover on the subwoofer.

If you get in a tangle, set everything 'flat' on the speakers and the sub to 80hz and start again.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If you follow my advice on this thread, you'll have bass that is significantly better than any car system I've ever heard. Car systems have all either lacked extension, or lacked control. You can have a good amount of both with the right speakers in your bedroom for your budget. Just don't expect them to look like anything that will impress your more shallow visitors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts