Best AV Receiver

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Which one is better mainly for stereo sound?

Pioneer VSX-920 , VSX-1020 or Onkyo TX-SR608?

I want to use also for radio and of course for 5.1 audio with my Blu-ray player, but I give extreme importance to the stereo only sound.

Buying a separate stereo amplifier is out of question for now.

Thank you so much for your help.

A

Anonymous

Don't want to put a spanner in the works but what about the yamaha RX-V667. This is very good with music too! Look at WHF review and this is now avaliable for a steal of £299.99 from Richer Sounds RRP £450! I would have a listen at your choices too if you can find a hifi shop local that'll give you a demo. RS won't though which is a shame Good luck mate!

A

Anonymous

From your list, the Onkyo. If you are open to other receivers, consider the Marantz 5005. Awesome warm sounding stereo sound.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I've Listened to the Pioneer and the Onkyo in a demo using B&W's MT-30 setup. Although Onyko was very dynamic with movies, IMO it sounded muddy and lacked timing when it came to music. The Pioneer is also very dynamic with movies and although it was very clear with music this can be down to the type of music you like, or your the sound you like. Neither are great compared to a relatively cheap stereo amp and can be disappointing if you've listened to something better. The only way your know for sure is to demos them both. Yamaha as always had a good following with music so i'd demo that as well before making any decision.

In short I didn't like the Onkyo at all with music. The Pioneer was just OK. I haven't had the chance to listen to the Yamaha but they have a reputation for good stereo sound. I think you will find that most receivers below £1500 just don't do stereo that well.

Hope this helps.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This is exactly what I found with the Pioneers - passable for music but not good, even the VSX 2020.

It might be worth trying Denon or Marantz, but it does all depend on taste to an extent.

A

Anonymous

kinda:

It might be worth trying Denon or Marantz, but it does all depend on taste to an extent.

You've answered your own question...
emotion-5.gif
It all does depend on taste.

I like the Onkyo and Marantz more than the Pioneers, but a poster before does not. So you need to listen to the amps with the same speakers that you own (or as close as possible). This way, you will get a try indication of how the amp will sound with YOUR speakers.

T

the record spot

dsharratt:RS won't though which is a shame Good luck mate!

That's not entirely the case across all of their shops so it's worth checking. I tried out a DACMagic (which turned out not to be so magic) from the Edinburgh store and could've had it for 2 weeks. I think the guy I talked to when I bought it said this applied across all of their hifi, but not TVs. Worth checking.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
da_grudge:

ok. So what do you think its good for stereo also in the 500 price tag?

Shoule i go to the Yamaha or Marantz?

Thanks

Well for a £500 price tag you could go up a level on the Yamaha to the RXV767, the Denon AVR2311, the Onkyo TXNR609 or the Marantz NR 1601.

If it were me i would give them all a good listen to before making a decision.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
da_grudge:

what about the Denon AVR-1911?

A friend of mine told me it is great for sound, also for stereo, and its on the 350 price tag..

It's available for less than £300 & the Denon 2311 is available for less than £500 so both are within your £500 range. You should hear the difference in sound quality with the higher spec 2311
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts