Best AV amp to partner with my speakers?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Morning all!

Ok, so im after an AV amp to partner my Tannoy Eyris 5.1 speakers, that'll have a massive cinematic sound. My old amp is a Sony DAV-SC8, which went loud, but didn't have much depth to it and dialogue became quite brittle at higher volumes. I want to avoid this with the next amp. I'd like it to have massive depth to it's bass, for the big action movies and have a realistic clear dialogue. £800 is my budget.

This amp will only be for home cinema duties, no music.

Oh, one other thing: It would be a massive bonus if the amps that are suggested have 2 optical ins and 2 Hdmi outs, to feed the tv and projector (saves having to go round the back of the cabinet to change cable every time I want to get the big screen out!)

Many thanks!

Brett

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello Brett

Apologies if not allowed to write this on here - however I have my mint condition Pioneer LX83 that I am selling in the next week or so if you are interested.

It has 3 Optical, 2 HDMI outs you require + class leading £2k reciever sound + Loads more - it will be easy much better than any of the recievers sub £1k available today

For films it doesnt get that much better from a single box solution - especially not at your budget, or above.

I would have PM'd you but obviously cannot - let me know if your interested and maybe we can speak outside the forum

Again apologies of this is not allowed - trying to help a fellow forum user out

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hello Bretty

Hope things are still good for you.

How about the Yamaha RX-A2010 here http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_YAM_2010_&CAT=HCAMP&ID=4734

It's been tempting me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Specs here http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-a2010_g/?mode=model

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the offer, Ellisdj, but im not a massive fan of Pioneer.

BBB, cheers for the tip, the Yammy looks like a beast. A lot of amp for the money. It's a toss up between the Yammy and the Onkyo 709. The Yammy beats it for looks and power but the Onkyo is £200 cheaper. Decisions, decisions......

I'm really good, by the way, BBB. Cheers for asking! Hows things in BernieLand?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Brett

no problems mate, just giving an option to a buyer and fellow forum memember and each to their own.

just a quick heads up I have read a few posts on here of people who have found that yammy not to their liking, lacking pazazz and excitement so I would demo if I were you and think - does a warm sounding amp suit my speakers and needs?

ignore the rated power - dont base a decision on that as the figures are irrelevant really. They will all play loud enough but will they actually properly control my speakers.

Auddessey in the onkyo by my knowledge is the only system of the 3 that will eq your bass so that's another thing to consider - unless you already have an antimode? Big bass is about it being controlled in the room, not necessarily processing in the receiver.

In terms of Pioneer they are great at big cinema sound - to better them its pre and power only, I can assure you a proper 20min demo would blow your pants off, however each to their own mate and let me know if I can help you anymore.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Hi Brett

no problems mate, just giving an option to a buyer and fellow forum memember and each to their own.

just a quick heads up I have read a few posts on here of people who have found that yammy not to their liking, lacking pazazz and excitement so I would demo if I were you and think - does a warm sounding amp suit my speakers and needs?

ignore the rated power - dont base a decision on that as the figures are irrelevant really. They will all play loud enough but will they actually properly control my speakers.

Auddessey in the onkyo by my knowledge is the only system of the 3 that will eq your bass so that's another thing to consider - unless you already have an antimode? Big bass is about it being controlled in the room, not necessarily processing in the receiver.

In terms of Pioneer they are great at big cinema sound - to better them its pre and power only, I can assure you a proper 20min demo would blow your pants off, however each to their own mate and let me know if I can help you anymore.

You are starting to tempt me, Ellis! Message me at brettwwilson@yahoo.co.uk and we'll chat.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Dammit! I just looked at the '83's dimensions and it's 3 inches too deep for my cabinet. You'd started to whet my appetite as well, Ellis! Back to the other two models, then. Out of the two, i'm swaying towards the Onkyo.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ok Mate - thats a shame as I think its exactly the amp you are looking for - to get that quality of amp sound quality new will cost £1500 - £1700 easy

Its deeper due to the ICE Power PCB Design, but being larger is a good thing as it seperates components from each other that can and do pollute the others i.e. picure / sound.

It can easily and safely over hang the back of a rack - the rear feet only need to be safely and sturdily on there.

Out of all the hifi / av kit I have owned the Pioneer is one of the best, I am not at all surised they have won WHF best receiver 5 years running is it.

I am only upgrading as I want amazing music and tv/film sound and its hard to get that from a single box.

I have also caught a nasty and contagious bug called Meridian upgradeitis which is difficult to cure and extrmely expensive

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Yammy is in a different league to the 709. I have the 3010 and the sound it produces is immense. Very life like and accurate and huge. If I'm watching with the family, I'm told off if I go above -30 volume. If I'm on my own, -15 is my limit before I worry that glass will shatter.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Ok Mate - thats a shame as I think its exactly the amp you are looking for - to get that quality of amp sound quality new will cost £1500 - £1700 easy

Its deeper due to the ICE Power PCB Design, but being larger is a good thing as it seperates components from each other that can and do pollute the others i.e. picure / sound.

It can easily and safely over hang the back of a rack - the rear feet only need to be safely and sturdily on there.

Out of all the hifi / av kit I have owned the Pioneer is one of the best, I am not at all surised they have won WHF best receiver 5 years running is it.

I am only upgrading as I want amazing music and tv/film sound and its hard to get that from a single box.

I have also caught a nasty and contagious bug called Meridian upgradeitis which is difficult to cure and extrmely expensive

That illness of yours sounds expensive to cure! ;-)

I may be back on board with the idea of your amp. I presumed the two rear feet were on the back corners of the chassis, which would have meant the unit would've been dangling off back of the cabinet like the bus in The Italian Job. I take it the rear feet are a few inches away from the rear of the machine, then? Gimme an email and lets have a chat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts