Beresford TC-7520 vs. DAC Magic: my findings so far

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Grimaldi:I think it was a reasonable assumption to make as most kit carrying XLR connectors simply use a converter and are not actually balanced in their internal design (you would typically have to spend at least £2k to get a fully balanced design. Perhaps the DacMagic is actually balanced if it is based on a high spec CA product given VFM with CA.

In any case, its possible that the increase in perceived dynamics is simply due to the higher gain. There should be little benefit from using balanced over a short connection anyway.
The better dynamics of the DAC Magic when connected via the XLR output wasn't due to higher gain. I used an pink noise generator and an SPL meter to level out the gain of both DACs.
I fitted the LM4562NA op amps and am running them in at the moment. Will have a good listen to both DACs tomorrow morning and report back.

A

Anonymous

How did you get on with the new op amps? BTW, what is Beresford's take on changing the internals of their products? Do they mind? I guess it invalidates the warranty if nothing else.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Beresford provide DIP-8 'socketed' opamps on the TC-7520 to make it easy to swap them. (No soldering involved.)

On the older TC-7510 model the op-amps are surface-mounted (soldered) making them difficult to replace unless you have the necessary equipment and skill.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts