Beresford 7520 DAC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Very interesting Grimaldi! As the DAC XP is based on the DAC X (rrp £1200), are your ears telling you that the modded Beresford (£200 ish) is only marginally and subtly "worse" in SQ? Hmmm, maybe I should hold the potential purchase of the DAC X.....

A

Anonymous

I know. Maybe my ears are just not that great or something (there is no way that I could tell the difference between one digi IC and another for example).

The best way of describing the difference is that the Beresford sounds a bit more tinny. The DAC-XP is more rounded and fuller but I was surprised (and perhaps a bit annoyed) that the difference was not more pronounced. I guess its just the law of diminishing returns.

It would be interesting to see what the 7520 sounds like with a poorer quality source or airport express streaming - I will do more testing this week time allowing.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am intrigued.

Why so much effort (and expense of course) to prove that a £185 DAC does not sound quite as good as a £1200 one ?

(Mind you, many TC-7520 users go on about how it improves after a good run-in period so perhaps final 'judgement' should wait for a week or so if you believe in the importance of run-in too.)

A

Anonymous

What expense? I need another affordable Dac with built in headphone amp for listening away from my main kit so I didn't buy it just for a test or comparison.

Also I think you are missing the point. It comes very close to the Cyrus I.e. I expected the gap to be much wider given the price differential.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Grimaldi. I only partly read the last couple of updates in this now very long thread and got the impression you were a bit annoyed by the Beresford for not matching the performance of the DAC-XP.

I have now read your previous updates more carefully and see that you were actually suprised/annoyed that the differences between the £185 Beresford and the £1200 DAC-XP were not as big as you would expect from their relative prices.

I would be thrilled if I had bought something - for a fraction of the price of a high end component - that performed so well.* That is excellent value for money surely?

*Oh, hang on... I did
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Haha, no worries, it is a long thread. I think the Beresford represents excellent value for money.

I wonder if the sound will change in the coming weeks and how the headphone amp compares to the MF X-can v3. I believe in burn-in to a certain degree (a day or so) but beyond that I think the user simply gets used to the sound

A

Anonymous

Sorry if I missed the post, but is the standard out the box comparison without any modifications? I gave mine a substantial burn in, I think it peaked at around 50h. Though I continually surprised with the performance as I try different types of music music.

A

Anonymous

I upgraded the op amps and let it run non-stop for about 20 hours.

A

Anonymous

Very interesting all of this !!!

I want to use my laptop through the 7520 usb when i get one.

Can you tell me if with this setup the sound will depend on what sort/quality sound card is in the laptop or does it bypass the sound card ?

Thanks !!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Mr TI:Can you tell me if with this setup the sound will depend on what sort/quality sound card is in the laptop or does it bypass the sound card ?

Completely independent of the computer's soundcard.

As you say, it bypasses it.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Mr TI:Can you tell me if with this setup the sound will depend on what sort/quality sound card is in the laptop or does it bypass the sound card ?

Thanks Chebby !!!

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Will the sound be quite a significant difference ?

Thanks Again !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts