Benchmark Complete Stereo system....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Eddie Pound:
I cannot recall a man or women specifically, in fairness. I expect it was the generic info@... address.

I suppose my assumption of a women in their customer services department is rather sexist! Sorry.

That's ok. He sounds like a women when he's ranting on ...

Hi Ashley
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I don't rant on! I'm charm personified!

In case it's of interest I'll explain the 2.1 system.

For some years now TV has been driving the market but there is general disaffection with TV and adverts in particular, so in the coming years, we're not only getting HDTV but also On Demand TV of which Apple TV was first. These devices combine photography, Computing and TV into one single home media centre and in part account for the decreasing popularity of hi fi separates. They don't dovetail well with the rest of people's media and they don't do photography, youtube, Movies, TV programs and music that everyone now wants.

Another problem for separates is that the boxes are often their most expensive part. Therefore we decided to take a different approach and ADM9.1s were the beginning. They're selling in greater quantities than everything we've ever done before including the Neutrons that WHF so liked. We've recently introduced Neutron 5s and I think they've been discussed on this Forum. However they were never intended to be alone. They were designed as part of a 2.1 system that got rid of expensive separates boxes and so cost much less and performed at least as well as something 3 times the price.

What you get is a 12" cube as a Sub with a very high power 10" drive unit in it, the latest Wolfson DAC that some argue is the best made, a remote controlled six input preamplifier and three 100 Watt power amps. One for the Sub and two for the Neutron 5s. There is a digital display of all functions and all the sub setting are remote controlled as well. There is on analogue, three optical, one coaxial, and one USB input and the latter can send any source digitally for a computer to record. The Sub is £900 or a similar price to an entry level Integrated amplifier and the Neutron 5s are £399 or £1299 the lot!.

We hope to start shipping in March and all you need is Sonos, Apple TV, PS3 and or Sky and you've got the lot and saved a fortune.

The ADM9.1 system costs £1875, so this will an entry level system at £1299.

At least if it's all in one box you know straight away whether it sounds okay or not, with separates it's rather more of a lottery and more expensive to boot. And the high WAF will earn brownie points.

Ash

A

Anonymous

The Sub looks bloody marvellous with a a vase of attractively arranged flowers on it!

Ash xx

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ashley James:There is on analogue, three optical, one coaxial, and one USB input and the latter can send any source digitally for a computer to record.

Please clarify about the USB input. My current USB DAC is 16 bit, 44.1khz/48khz and the Benchmark DAC1 Pre (and DAC1 USB non Pre version) have 24/96 capability on USB. What maximum word length/sampling rate will your USB input have?

Also you say the USB can send a source to a computer. So I assume I could plug my turntable + phono stage into the RCA analogue input and a built in ADC will convert this and send - via the same USB - so I can rip vinyl albums/tracks onto my computer and convert to Apple Lossless or AAC ?

I remember you saying you had dropped USB from the ADM9.1 due to lack of demand. I am suprised to see you pick it up again.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Chebby

You're right there is no demand for USB connection because nobody wants a PC near his hi fi. However we'd invested a bloody fortune in USB Audio codecs and this seemed a good way to use them up. They are 16 bit 44/48 and will be good for recording your vinyl as you suggest.

I'd rip LPs to a level of compression you are happy with remembering that it's only about 8 Bit to start with!

The optical digital inputs are 24/96 and the coaxial 24/192, but optical is what everyone wants and gives far great choice of source. You will not hear any difference.

Ash

PS. Don't underestimate the Edirol UA25.

A

Anonymous

Thanks old chap, I've forwarded your observation to Geoff who designs and manages our website.

Ash

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts