Benchmark Complete Stereo system....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Noticed this today when looking for Benchmark DAC1 Pre information....

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac/dac1-complete-stereo-solution

The options are all priced for the USA right now and the voltages (especially for the active monitors) are also USA voltages but this looks like a seriously good package.

Benchmark DAC1 Pre (with 24 bit, 96khz USB, RCA analogue and 192/24 optical and coax inputs) and built-in, world class, headphone amp with two sockets. Balanced XLR connections to Dynaudio BM5A monitors (used by BBC and lots of other pro studios).

I am looking into getting a Benchmark DAC1 Pre (plus a power amp) next year but I would REALLY like to audition this system as well!

I hope we see a UK specified version soon. I know all the components are available seperately but I would like to see the same 'bundle' pricing applied here for us Brits.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
that benchmark appears to be serious value for money, doesn't it? i bought a mac mini and an ipod touch to use as a remote yesterday but have to wait for a couple of weeks before the shop get some more external hard drives in, once i get those and i have finished ripping all my cd's and adding artwork and stuff, i'll be ordering a dac1 pre and primare power amp.
emotion-19.gif
if i get it before you i'll let you know my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Where can one demo Dyn actives? Is it all pro mail order stores?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
That's a nice little package from Benchmark. I just wish more brands would also make active Towers, instead of just active Monitors...

Anyway that is a really good price for the combo... If I didn't already have a DAC1, I'd have to give serious thought to the combo...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The UK prices for these seperately are around £1299 (DAC1 Pre) and £700 (BM5A's) excluding h/phones, so if Benchmark were doing the same percentage off deal here, then the total would be around £1800 with some pro quality XLR connects thrown in. Not bad. (23 percent off the speakers)

Of course this would be £400 - £500 less if the DAC1 or DAC1 USB were used instead of the DAC1 Pre.

Sort of like a pro grade version of the AVI ADM9.1 with world class headphone amp and 24bit/96khz USB connection added.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:The UK prices for these seperately are around £1299 (DAC1 Pre) and £700 (BM5A's) excluding h/phones, so if Benchmark were doing the same percentage off deal here, then the total would be around £1800 with some pro quality XLR connects thrown in. Not bad. (23 percent off the speakers)

Of course this would be £400 - £500 less if the DAC1 or DAC1 USB were used instead of the DAC1 Pre.

Sort of like a pro grade version of the AVI ADM9.1 with world class headphone amp and 24bit/96khz USB connection added.

Hi

Looks very nice but perhaps not ideal for anything else but near field due to limited power? Good if you often use headphones though. Is there remote control and has the DAC 1 USB XLR out and pre-amp facilities?

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... I just checked out Benchmarks website. The DAC 1 Pre looks very nice indeed. Used with more powerful speakers than the Dyn's it probably would make a more versatile alternative to the AVI's with regards to inputs and the built-in headphone amp. Still, it will cost substantially more and does'nt seem to have the remote option, again indicative of its intended purpose for near field monitoring.

The AVI's are used in the pro sector by the way.

Nice system though for a small home studio.

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think with a total of 100w per speaker and peak SPL of 115DB they should be ok for a lot of people's requirements.

Bass response down to 50hz (-3db) isn't too bad either.

The BBC LS5A near-field designs used to roll off at 70hz (!) and were often used with less power but still managed to please in typical domestic environments.

I have heard similar sized (passive) 'domestic' Dynaudio's and found them most impressive.

A

Anonymous

I've been searching around and found a Sound on Sound review of the Dynaudio.

Apparently the bass is sloppy and the crossover point is far too low and shallow, meaning that the drivers overlap.

As far as I can see the AVI is far more powerful so should be more controlled; the crossover is more advanced; there is remote control; and the DAC will go upto 24/192.

Still, listening will be the key. Not paper analysis.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:I think with a total of 100w per speaker and peak SPL of 115DB they should be ok for a lot of people's requirements.

Bass response down to 50hz (-3db) isn't too bad either.

The BBC LS5A near-field designs used to roll off at 70hz (!) and were often used with less power but still managed to please in typical domestic environments.

I have heard similar sized (passive) 'domestic' Dynaudio's and found them most impressive.

Perhaps worth listening to if available in the UK chebby. Difficult to judge on paper alone. I can't comment favourably or otherwise on the Benchmark system, I haven't heard it but I have heard the AVI's and they are good.

regards

PS. The AVI's use Wolfson's latest DAC's which are capable of handling true 24bit material if that is of particular interest to you. Just another option.

A

Anonymous

A What HiFi review would be nice?

I'm trying to find some other contenders too. ATC for example do actives, but I can't see prices. I assume an external pre and DAC need purchasing too.

B&O or Meridian may suit.

What does near field mean in terms of metres? Just sitting on a desk? Or would it be okay across a modest room - perhaps a metre or two? The 50 watt power rating suggests the former desk arrangement, rather than a HiFi system.

Does the Benchmak have an analogue or digital volume control?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Doubtful I will go this route anyway.

I intend to get the Benchmark DAC1 Pre and replace my Solo mini with a power amp (Creek Destiny is the front runner so far) and use the speakers I already have.

Just thought I would would highlight this new Benchmark/Dynaudio package.

Hopefully lots more such pairings will emerge in time so that people will have a good choice.

Currently there are only Audioengine A2 & A5's (+Airport Express) at one end and ADM9.1s at the other.

I am bored with hearing about them and want to see more competition and choice at all points between and beyond.

It should not just be coming out of the world of US/Danish pro-studio gear and American PC speaker makers (and an old mill in the Cotswolds). All of the major companies should be looking at making choices more flexible and even incorporating some new thinking in their traditional gear. (Wake up Rega and Arcam! Put slots for optional DAC modules in your amps!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Eddie Pound:The 50 watt power rating suggests the former desk arrangement

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The Dynaudio site quote 100 watt per speaker. 50watts per tweeter and 50watts per bass driver.

The SPL figures are measured at 1 meter as is normal for most speakers being measured for such tests.

Anyway, you can all look at the Benchmark and Dynaudio sites just in case I got anything wrong.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Doubtful I will go this route anyway.

I intend to get the Benchmark DAC1 Pre and replace my Solo mini with a power amp (Creek Destiny is the front runner so far) and use the speakers I already have.

Just thought I would would highlight this new Benchmark/Dynaudio package.

Hopefully lots more such pairings will emerge in time so that people will have a good choice.

Currently there are only Audioengine A2 & A5's (+Airport Express) at one end and ADM9.1s at the other.

I am bored with hearing about them and want to see more competition and choice at all points between and beyond...

I agree, there should be more choice. I have heard a fair bit of hifi and there is a lot of good products out there but active, if well done, has something that affordable, conventional, passive systems rarely do. It's not for everyone but if you happen to latch on to it, its a revelation.

Have a listen to some active systems if you haven't done so already before spending your money next year. As you know I like your Rega's and have used them in many different systems, some much more expensive than a speaker like that would be paired with normally (and they always shine) but the AVI's are something else so are B&O's products at the other end.

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan: I like the idea of actives, but the ADM9.1s are just too big.

I forgot you are used to cigarette packed sized speakers ...
emotion-5.gif

AVI have a new package coming out very soon. Neutron V speakers powered by a matching subwoofer with digital and analogue inputs/DAC/Pre-amp and remote control. Ash sent me some details but unfortunately I've lost them.

Interesting and no doubt quality but of what I've heard still not a patch on the active 9.1's.

regards

John Duncan

Yes, that rumour's been flying around for a while, though still no sign of it on the website. I still have an issue with subs though, simply from the point of view of accommodating one, what with my cigarette-packet-sized house.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

You could email them?

Years ago I contacted somebody there about Lab Series stuff and they were forthcoming with all the info. Maybe I just got through to a friendly lady in customer services though - like a call centre lottery.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No nice ladies there ... 'just' a very tiny man and the his partner in crime. Helpful though. That's all I will say about AVI in this thread before it turns into the usual war of words ...

regards

A

Anonymous

I cannot recall a man or women specifically, in fairness. I expect it was the generic info@... address.

I suppose my assumption of a women in their customer services department is rather sexist! Sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts