Behringer a500-enough power?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Before my friend blows up the arcam again (which he fixed with a little soldering) can someone confirm that the behringer is powerful enough to overdrive valdus 500's, and will not overheat. (He's now fitted longer ports to the top midbasswoofer which by his calculations has lowered the tuning from a predicted 89hz to 29 hz so excursion is no longer a problem and is going EVEN more mental with the volume, last night he ran the thing at a party on FULL)...

ive concluded these speakers are nearly indestructable...the tweeter protection came on once all night (only becausue the signal was BADLY clipped),He's now also fitted computer cooling fans to the thing so it can't overheat but i get the feeling somethings going to give soon...

If you think there is any chance the valdus' will overheat the behringer tell me now and ill get him a pro amp with a fan.

Thanks.

T

the record spot

He'd be better off going to a nearby pro-audio shop that sells power amps for some advice and deciding on what to buy after that. It's all down to what levels he wants to drive these things at and the point at which the amp clips/overheats thereafter.

A

Anonymous

ok thanks will do, essentially he wants to drive them as loud as they will go before blowing up...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
One of my ex-colleagues (you can Google him - hoopsontoast), bought a Behringer based upon it's reputation (and it was cheap, used), and found that it was nothing special. He quickly moved it on and went for a normal hi-fi amplifier.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
running123 said:
ok thanks will do, essentially he wants to drive them as loud as they will go before blowing up...

having checked spec sheet I'd say one would not be enough but two in bridged mode should finally do the trick.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
One of my ex-colleagues (you can Google him - hoopsontoast), bought a Behringer based upon it's reputation (and it was cheap, used), and found that it was nothing special. He quickly moved it on and went for a normal hi-fi amplifier.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you think of any old amps that would be a steal from ebay which have massive power, heard pioneer elite series from a few years back had bags of current. Doesn't need to be 200wpc but something which is stable to 4ohms and which has loads of current. I know very little about vintage hifi but the first amp I had (before the tangent) could get an inch of excursion out of the drivers without breaking a sweat. Sounded terrible though because the aux imput was broken so had to run it through phono.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts