Beginner - Advice on surround sound pakages

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to buy a surround sound package but have never had on before so need some help on what spec/models I should be looking at.

My budget is approx £500. Any advice would be great.

thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

Are you looking for just speakers or speakers and an amp? Also, what room size do you have and is this just for TV / movies or are you planning to play music through it as well? Finally, what components are you going to be hooking into it (now and future)?

A

Anonymous

Speakers and amp.... is my budget too small for both?

Living room size is about 20ft x 25ft. This probably going to be just for TV/movies...... how would the package differ if it was for music as well?

With regards to other components I currently have a PS3, DVD player and TV Onics freeview recorder.

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Nope, we can definitely manage a setup for £500.

Amps to look at (in my opinion naturally) are Onkyo 576 and the Sony 820 - both of these will accept the LPCM signal from the PS3 so you are getting HD audio for Blu-Ray. With a bit more cash added to the budget, you could also look at the Yamaha 763, the Denon 1909 and the Onkyo 606.

For speaker packages, something like the KEF KHT 1005.2 or the Jamo A102HCS5 packages should be on your audition list.

(NB - ignore the WHF prices, these can all be found to fit into your budget).

As for music or movies - it basically reflects what I recommend. If you were serious about getting music through the system, I would probably have left the Onkyos out as they don't do music very well. However, they do movies extremely well!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I would definitely recommend the JAMO very highly. I have one myself and for the price, you simply can't fault it. Beautiful build and sound.

Highly recommended.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Ok it depends on what you won't to get out of your system, and with a decent size living room, i feel you would have to up your budget slightly to fill that size room. Also depending on furniture and seating positions, and how loud you want your system to go. As for incorporating an av homecinema package for music, very few av amps can deliver satisfying results. Not knowing your layout of room, and considering using for both, then maybe worth looking at these still on offer at Richer Sounds. Start with the Tannoy F4 customs these floorstanding speakers will give a decent stereo for music and are excellent for movies at £150 oringinally £400 a real bargain.For rears F1 customs £79 and centre Fr custom £49. I would then look at the Denon 1909 on offer at £299 or Yamaha ax763, these being quite musical and would work well with the Tannoys. As for sub you may feel you don't need one straight away, so you could always add one when funds allow. For speaker cable Qed Xt for fronts and mirco for rears would be fine, this system would blow you away and i think after an audition you will be glad you spent the extra cash. Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts