BD Player Connected to 2 Displays

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Would appreciate a bit of general advice if anyone can guide me.

Am just about to purchase a small (22" ish) TV as a supplement to a projector, for watching more mundane programmes and for the other half to use. When I get BluRay player I would like to connect it to both devices via a splitter, (for use at different times).

Connection to projector is via an amp which takes 7.1 LPCM, but TV would be just stereo. Wondered if there was a standard way to approach this so that it isn't necessary to change the audio configuration in the BD player to suite the device being viewed? Basically I'd like to be able to just turn on the player and play a disk regardless of display device.

Does the player detect the capabilities of the receiver and adjust the audio output, (BDPS370 manual says auto mode will detect capabilities but think this might be just LPCM or bitstream), or will a stereo display generally downmix the channels to get stereo? Or is it just specific to each TV / player?

Also wondered if anyone had a view on how important 24Hz support is on small TVs? Limited chance to demo the sets, and wondered if it made much difference on smaller ones or of there would be serious judder?

Any advice much appreciated.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks.

My amp anyway has only one HDMI output and since it was around the £700
bracket I don't really want to change it to get two outputs.

Thing is I don't really want the amp on when playing anything through the TV as it makes it a bit too complex for the other half to be bothered with plus the TV is in the corner, and doesn't really sit in the right place for the speakers which are based around the projector screen.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks. Yes, wondered about that, but yet to see if they can be configured differently or if it's just two outputs, one with a replication of just the sound on the main one, which wouldn't work.

I was looking at a Philips set, but am now favouring a bigger Samsung, but I'll post what the Philips guys respond with on what the Tv would do with 7.1LPCM over HDMI.

The Samsung looks to have a lot of media playing facilities including MKV, so I may just use that feature for the odd bits of stuff we want to show on the TV, as we have the projector as the main film display.

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
kinda:

Hello,

Thanks. Yes, wondered about that, but yet to see if they can be configured differently or if it's just two outputs, one with a replication of just the sound on the main one, which wouldn't work.

I was looking at a Philips set, but am now favouring a bigger Samsung, but I'll post what the Philips guys respond with on what the Tv would do with 7.1LPCM over HDMI.

The Samsung looks to have a lot of media playing facilities including MKV, so I may just use that feature for the odd bits of stuff we want to show on the TV, as we have the projector as the main film display.

I looked into it abit more, it looks like 1 is for 3D to the tv and the other is sound to the AV.

Have a look at the manual here

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Blu-ray+Recorders+%26+Players/Blu-ray+Players/DMP-BDT300/Manuals/3664763/index.html?trackInfo=true

Dean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts