BBC Radio services to be withdrawn from vTuner ( Denon , Marantz, Yamaha )

Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a Denon Ceol DRA-N4 and last Wednesday whilst listening to BBC internet radio programmes were interrupted on the hour with a message saying:

"The way your device receives BBC radio programmes will stop working on March 22nd 2021. If you are using an internet radio or a smart speaker contact your device's manufacturer. "

Now Denon, along with other manufacturers like Marantz and Yamaha use the vTuner app to access internet radio so I'm assuming that many others out there will have received this message and are facing the same problem. I've so far emailed Denon and vTuner (twice) about this issue but have had no reply. Anyone with any ideas about how to get at what's going on?

DCarmi

Seems that the BBC may be re-organising streams, which has triggered the warning. You may have to remove that station and search for it again.

It is not impossible that you may also have to pay a small fee to vTuner, if it prevents you from finding the new stream. They started charging for the service, a bit over a year ago.

DCarmi

I guess they charge to keep the company afloat. It would be preferable if it were paid by the manufacturers, on a per device sold basis.

However, I agree with the sentiment. I don't own a device with Internet Radio baked in.

Reactions: Gray
Mar 8, 2021
Visit site
Have now had a very fulsome and complex reply from the BBC and it was to do with 'service aggregators' catching up with the BBC's reorganisation of their the URLs of their radio streams as suggested by DCarmi. The messages have now stopped so everything's back to normal. Thanks for the assistance.

iMark

I've stopped using internet radio for listening to the BBC on our Yamaha network receiver. I never thought the sound of vTuner was very good with its limited bitrates.

I now use the BBC Sounds app on my iPhone and stream to the network receiver. The interface on the app also makes it much easier to switch stations and find other useful things on the BBC.

Reactions: DCarmi

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a Denon Ceol DRA-N4 and last Wednesday whilst listening to BBC internet radio programmes were interrupted on the hour with a message saying:

"The way your device receives BBC radio programmes will stop working on March 22nd 2021. If you are using an internet radio or a smart speaker contact your device's manufacturer. "

Now Denon, along with other manufacturers like Marantz and Yamaha use the vTuner app to access internet radio so I'm assuming that many others out there will have received this message and are facing the same problem. I've so far emailed Denon and vTuner (twice) about this issue but have had no reply. Anyone with any ideas about how to get at what's going on?
I have an Onkyo c-n 7050 streamer which uses vTuner and it streams BBC stations with no problem. Sometimes it says Cannot Play but that is usually commercial stations.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I can’t remember what radio Bose Soundtouch uses- had the same issue a year back. I just connected bbc sounds via airplay. Although I realised a few weeks back that the radio is still working via Bose and there are no more messages about it being taken away.

TRENDING THREADS