BBC HD 5.1 via Uniti

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
I output my TV sound via my Naim Uniti. through normal 2-channel analogue. recently purchased a new Samsung ES6300 and it can only connect via Toslink Digital. So now connecting this up to the Uniti and works fine

However, the Freeview HD channels i.e. BBC1 HD transmit in AAC 5.1 and this causes sound dropout through 2 speakers. Simple matter I thought to select 2.0 but Samsung say its not down to them but down to the TV channels transmitting in 5.1 full stop. They say you can change setting on the amp but I can't see anything specific to that in the Naim Uniti manual

any thoughts?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm not aware of any way to handle multichannel via the NaimUniti. The downmix would have to happen in the TV, as the Naim is only designed to accept a stereo input.

Not sure whether this will help, but the e-manual for the Samsung says – on page 153 of an amazing 797! – that under
"Menu → Sound → Additional Settings"
on the TV there is an option for
"Audio Format: You can select the Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format",
but notes that "The available Digital Audio output (SPDIF) format may differ depending on the input source."

You may also have to set the TV's speaker mode to "External Speaker" in the same menu set.

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Yes I tried the sound settings and there are no choices i.e. if you are on BBC HD then the sound format shows only as HE AAC 5.1 (no choice). Go to normal BBC 1 and the choice is MPEG. When you change channels it display "Stereo" on BBC1 and AAC 5.1 on BBC1 HD

I will check that SPDIF option tonight

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
I thought I'd resurrect this one with an "official" answer I received from Samsung "Unfortunately there is no way to down grade the sound from your TV the options are either purchase a system able to support this or simply watch non HD channels" So in other words they are saying either buy an AV 5.1 amplifier or just don't watch HD channels !! Only reason I bought the TV was to watch Freeeview HD sport during the summer so that rather defeats the purpose !

TRENDING THREADS