TV that will accept 5.1 via HDMI and downmix to internal stereo speakers

KevinTNZ

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a TV (preferably 32") that will take 5.1 Dolby or DTS via HDMI, downmix internally and send the sound out through it's internal speakers?

I have a Samsung 32F5500 whic is supposed to do this but it doesn't :cry: instead there's no sound at all excpet when 2 channel PCM is sent to it.

The reason I'm looking for such a TV is so that I can use a HDMI splitter after my BR player and SkyHD boxes in the lounge and have the surround sound go to both my lounge Onkyo receiver and to the bedroom TV... full 5.1 in the lounge but downmixed in the bedroom.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

John Duncan

Him, my first thought was 'they all do', but I now see what you mean. I think my BD player might be set to 'auto' which is probably downmixing first. Let me have a play and see if I can confirm...

John Duncan

Right. I'm kind of hoping somebody who understands video audio better than I do might jump in, but I have just set my BD player to output 'Bitstream' (the other options were 'Linear PCM', 'Auto' and 'Off') and my Sony KDL-32NX503 appears to be playing it fine. Sadly I don't have an HDMI capable receiver to see if the other output (the player has 2) is outputting 5.1 :-/

KevinTNZ

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks John.

My understanding is that the transmitter and receiver of a HDMI connection negotiate what can and can't be done which could be why you're seeing it as working.

Last night I had a play with my BR player (Panasonic DMP-BD35) playing Ironman 3 connected via a HDMI switch to the Onkyo and also to the Samsung TV.

With the BR player set to output bitstream, both Onkyo and Samsung turned on: I get sound from the Onkyo but nothing from the Samsung.

With the BR player set to output bitstream, just the Samsung turned on: I get sound from the Samsung.

With the BR player set to output PCM, both Onkyo and Samsung turned on: I get sound from the Onkyo but just the surround channel from the Samsung (really strange effect!).

With the BR player set to output PCM, just the Samsung turned on: I get sound from the Samsung.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts