Bass better on the Q acoustics 2000 ?

gasolin

Q acoustics 2010i with a small nad dvd reciver with max 2x30 watt i think it's in 6 ohm and Q acoustics 3020 with a Marntz PM8005

The 3020 and marantz combo sound more refined, the stands i use helps alot with that and speaker cable for both speaker that are the same

Stil despite the size of the woofer, the size of the amp (watt) and that both are not closer to a wall than 36cm 14-15" , i feel the bass is as good on the 2010i's as the 3020's, even when my marantz amp should be superior in every way over the nad amp.

The bass isn't intrusive,boomy on the 3020,on some lp's the bass are really good with a top that isn't that bright, generally the balance is okay with an open and clear sound with a bass not to much, i want to be noticed,listen to me, just sometimes miss a bit more bass, for the money and size the 2010i's have a very good bass

Is the bass just a bit better on the q acoustics 2000 than the 3000 series?

Im not asking for a solution since i can't place my 3020's closer to a wall and i won't buy a new amp, im just wondering if the bass is better on the 2000's, i feel that, might just be because of the placement of the speaker or that one of the amps are a nad amp

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
My guess is that your marantz amplifier excerts simply more bass control than the NAD.

Simple to find out whether that is the case.

The 3020 also has a 'better' cabinet which in theory should shift some of the resonances to a less audible part of the frequency range.

Whether that is really desirable in such a tiny speaker is debatable.

Indeed it may take away from its musicality in the quest for 'accuracy' ... as accurate as a speaker for that money can be.

That brings me back to another thread about cheap actives. At this sort of money you probably want nice and involving rather than something that slices your ears off.

Not saying the 3020 does that but a bit of balance is normally good

A lot of modern speakers and amplifiers are voiced that way, forward and revealing. Add DAC'S that can cleanly resolve a flee's fart and the result may or may not be to ones liking.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Having both the 2020i and 3020 and listened to the 2010i on my fathers system, I think the sounds are very close. The bigger speakers give a slightly more room filling sound.

Your difference in sound is very likely down to your amps behaviour.

I had the 2020i on a MA airstream 100 and then on a marantz pm6005, now the 3020 are on the MA giving a very similar result

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can have the best gear money can buy, but thoes speaker are limited at the end of the day, and you room will have the final say on just how well you can fine tune them, if its any consolation, i have speakers costing six times more, that cause me a similer problem with certain tunes, always in and out with the bungs and trying different position, just have to accept that my room is less than ideal, bass trap my help, or no doubt there are speakers out there that might fair better, but its finding out which ones that the problem, the deeper cabinet on the 2000's series might be the diference in your room/setup as to why they sound better.

gasolin

The bass is very unintrusive with a soft,smooth clear and open sound (depens if it's a cd,lp,old record,remastered.......), almost like a studio monitor with a clear,open sound, on the good records the bass is good,just sometimes i would like a bit more bass,mabye rock music where my system never tries to make the bass unaturally loud,muddy,boomy you name it

I don't want to have a subwoofer or enhance the bass(eq,tonecontrols).

It might just be like adding a subwoofer to a surround system,even when the front speakers are good (bass) adding a subwoofer just makes a noticeable difference (even when you don't make the bass louder than everything)

I like the clear and open sound, just didn't expect the bass to be almost equal to the 2010i

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm not really sure what exactly you're looking for, but the 3020 give plenty of bass if moved a little closer to the wall. I actually find them best about 7 inches or so from the wall with the bungs in, but that's just my preference, try a little playing with position if possible to get the desired effect, or indeed play with your tone controls

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
gasolin said:
The bass is very unintrusive with a soft,smooth clear and open sound (depens if it's a cd,lp,old record,remastered.......), almost like a studio monitor with a clear,open sound, on the good records the bass is good,just sometimes i would like a bit more bass,mabye rock music where my system never tries to make the bass unaturally loud,muddy,boomy you name it

I don't want to have a subwoofer or enhance the bass(eq,tonecontrols).

It might just be like adding a subwoofer to a surround system,even when the front speakers are good (bass) adding a subwoofer just makes a noticeable difference (even when you don't make the bass louder than everything)

I like the clear and open sound, just didn't expect the bass to be almost equal to the 2010i
What about at higher volume? does thing improve, or are the still both close?

gasolin

I think so to a certain degree, since theres a limited on how loud i can play with the 2010i's but have to mention that the 2000 actually have a slightly bigger cabinet than the 3000 (although i know se the difference between the 2010i and 3010 is not that big), still for there size the bass of the 2010i's is good

2010i 234.5 x 203 x 150

3010 235 x 200 x 150

2020i 265 x 278 x 170

[font="Open Sans, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]3020 [/font] 260 x 226 x 170

Im not saying the sound is bright at low levels, just as i mentioned alot of times a clear and open sound which i like, just with some music the bass is rather modest, hotel california, jingo (santana) sounds okay (but a little more won't hurt)

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/remove-brightness-and-increase-bass-low-volumes

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well i would suggest changing then for some Dali Zenors 3's, great speaker for the money, bigger woofer which is easier drive, and will provide excellent bass at lower volumes, as much as i love the Q Acoustics, smaller surface area requires more power, and thats why they sound better when you increase the volume, the dali zenors 3 require less effort to move some air, get a demo if you can, could be just perfect for you.

gasolin

Simon Cunvin said:
Well i would suggest changing then for some Dali Zenors 3's, great speaker for the money, bigger woofer which is easier drive, and will provide excellent bass at lower volumes, as much as i love the Q Acoustics, smaller surface area requires more power, and thats why they sound better when you increase the volume, the dali zenors 3 require less effort to move some air, get a demo if you can, could be just perfect for you.

They are big and i don't like the tweeter, it's to agressive,intrusive, some also say the sound is colored, i like the very open sound from my Q Acoustics 3020, some times i would like a bit more bass, if it's more deep,louder bass or both i don't know, with most music i feel the bass from the speaker is deep enought (there are just alot of music without any good bass,loud don't mean it's good),with edm the bass is okay..loud enough, i feel the dalis have a brighter sound (had the zensor 1's for about a year),i don't like and want that kind of sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSLfESgMFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjAantupsA

I did have the dynaudio emit m10 that had alot more bass, mabye to much,the lower treble,higher midrange was a bit to soft (it had a wam sound), liked the q acoustics 2010i's so much i wanted the 3020's if they where better (which they are)

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I have both q acoustics 2020 (not 2020i) and q acoustics 3020 running off my Marantz pm6004 and the bass improved significantly. I came across this purely by accident because I was just comparing the sound of the different speakers. My manual for the amp says this is too much for it but I have been running both these sets of speakers for over a year now with no trouble at all though I only use the volume at 9 o clock. I don't know if your amp is capable of running both pairs of speakers at the same time but if it is it might be worth a try.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Too many numbers, two tests from different sources and different speakers than the ones you mentioned previously. Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but I'd imagine you could sell your 3020 and have enough to buy a 2010 or 2020 if that's what is required

George

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Simon Cunvin said:
I tried some Dali Sensor 3 speakers but I sent them back because I preferred the Q Acoustics, the Q Acoustics 2020 and 3020 combo IMHO sounds great with very good bass. If the OP does not wish to try running both the 2010 and 3020 together either for aesthetic reasons or his amp is not capable of it perhaps he could consider some Q Acoustic floor standers?*unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts