Bang!! & ir dac went dead.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

a bit baffled right now. Switched on the irdac and was about to turn on the amp when i heard the bang from the fuse box in the hallway.

reset the fuse came to the lounge try to switch back on the irdac and nothing, its not powering up, dead as a dodo.

I suspect its the cheap power adapter that came with the dac which is blown.

Bought the dac from peter tyson so i was wondering if i should call them or Arcam direct? Your advice on the matter would be appreciated.

Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

a bit baffled right now. Switched on the irdac and was about to turn on the amp when i heard the bang from the fuse box in the hallway.

reset the fuse came to the lounge try to switch back on the irdac and nothing, its not powering up, dead as a dodo.

Bought the dac from peter tyson so i was wondering if i should call them or Arcam direct? Your advice on the matter would be appreciated.

You should deal with the dealer you bought it from.

Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

You should deal with the dealer you bought it from. Is it still under warranty?

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Hi all,

You should deal with the dealer you bought it from.

yes, it is. Surely hasn't been two years. I don't know where i put the receipt. They should have my purchase history on their data base. Will call tomorrow.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Update:

as i suspected: it is the cheap powersupply which is blown. I got it tested by a mate who repairs gadgets.

now i won't be bothering to send everything back to the dealer. I will just pop in to my local maplin store and buy a new power adapter.

any recommendation on the powet adapter will be helpfull. thanks

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
for the power supply once you have the right voltage needed, they are usually much cheaper than Maplins especially for small electronic parts or spares.

here's one for starters:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1500mA-2-1mm-Power-adapter-Supply/dp/B005JO0JL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466911898&sr=8-1&keywords=12V+DC%2C+1.5A+max

many others available as well.

*music2*

I would see this as an opportunity to try the psu from mains cables are us and get a wee upgrade at the same time.lol.they sell well built two box units to replace most dc packs for dacs and turntables.they are online and eBay.I might even try one for my own ir dac now that this mishap has happened to yours,I leave all my kit powered up (apart from the ir dac)as I doubt the Wallwart pack supplied is really up to the task but yet arcam has the power switch on the rear of the unit which suggests to me that it should be left powered up....so it does beg the question why such a supply was implemented with this unit...I'd much rather arcam had used the kettle style power cable that they use on their own amps,cd players etc.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I would call Peter Tyson again and explain this. I'm sure they will be happy to post one out to you for free, or call Arcam customer support. Even they can send one.

Then he'll get the same type that blew up in the first place.

Take it all back for a full refund. It doesn't sound safe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts